It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All aboard the atheist bus campaign

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
hey the christians advertise all the time why cant the atheists.. Talk about double standard.

I dont think it will do much but hey if they want to go right ahead.

Maybe the athiests should make a anti-bible and put it in hotel rooms, and build buildings to meet up in just to stay on par with the religions out there?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun
reply to post by Merriman Weir

yes some of the problems are most deffinatley the way teachers are allowed and the goverment tinkewring away with its own ever changing desires. but some teaching has become PC mine field a problem we have created for our selves

did you watch 'the genius of charles darwin' it was a 3 part documentry a couple of months back where dawkins adressed schools

I saw some of it as my partner watched it but didn't really take much notice. Not that I'm unfamiliar with Dawkins' writing. I first read the Selfish Gene around 12 years ago, and own a few of his books.

and thats where much of the problem lies children being taught religeon is pure truth before they even see a school

But that's always been the case upon until recently. I personally was told about heaven, angels and all manner of things at home before I was taught any science in schools, and yet, again, I use the example of my own year at school: how many of us turned out to be Christians, let alone fundamentalists, or for that matter Greek, Roman or Egyptian pantheists?

Again, I worry that some of this thinking is 'yes, but we're not talking about us, we're talking about the thick prole kids here, the one's that will get brainwashed because they're not smart like us Brights'. It just seems a terribly condescending view to me.

this is the point with creationism it wasnt a problem(lets face it we were taught an apologist version of creation at school/church)

the literal creationist ideals are starting to be imported from the U.S. they are being taught in churches and are bieng taught to children from an early age

creationist/id foundations are sponsoring religeous schools and private schools in an effort to influence creationist teachings

go to your local salvation army, you can walk in and pick up numerous creationist pamphlets. My mothers a memeber and ive been down for various reasons and seen them there and seen the ones others there have suggested she reads

the influences of the church of england are fading fast but creationalistic fundamentalism is increasing, as christianity is percieving its self as persectuted they are battening down the hatches and taking on a more fundamentalist view to combat it

But biblical creationism has always been on the cards for people who believe in Christianity. Christianity is usually taught through scripture and the creation is one of the first things people are taught. It's not a new issue; there's always been literalists when it's come to the bible.

Here's another example where we should be giving children more of the benefit of the doubt. At some point, all kids get into dinosaurs, even now. They like looking at the pictures, trying to pronounce their names and so on. One of the things they learn is how old dinosaurs are, how we find evidence of dinosaurs and where they generally fit into the scheme of things. Yet, kids are normally reading these kind of things during the same time frame they are exposed to the garden of Eden, the creation and so on. This was the certainly the case for me, and I bet it was for you - roughly ten years younger than me - and I bet it's the case for people in their early 20s and even at school now. How many people do you know that have had a school education in the last 30 years that, despite being told about how God made the earth, believe that dinosaurs are less than 6000 years old? Even though we've all been exposed to the books of Genesis?

What makes today's kids any different? Are you saying that Christians now have a better argument than their own bible?

it isnt a big threat but it is growing not diminishing like the main stream church of england

the same can be said of islam but its working from the other end not telling us we should be teaching ID/creationism but saying we shouldnt teach XYZ

while christianity is trying to make it (education) a tool to teach chrisitianity islam is trying to make it a tool to not teach anything anti islamic

[edit on 22/10/08 by noobfun]

Whilst you admit it's not a big threat, but even if it is a small but growing threat, I'm not really sure that it will gain any significance. Firstly, as you say, much of this fundamentalism initially comes from America, now whilst some elements of American culture have a large appeal (fast food, music and film &c) I genuinely can't see this taking hold because the fundamentalist demographics in America don't actually match-up with the potential target demographics in this country. Also, America despite not being a Christian country - actually founded by Deists - has always had this from the start. We haven't, and the British interest in Christianity has been on the decline for more than a hundred years.

The last big real resurgence in interest to a really influence a sizeable demographic was what could be loosely described as 'the Methodist movement' which gained momentum in the 1800s through aligning with much needed social reform and was taken-up by a good chunk of the working-classes.

Social and political reform like this isn't really a tool that can be used again, as it could be argued that those changes have been made. The religious community that are genuinely vociferous about using religion and politics like this is, again, the Muslims not the Christians. One of the points that's been touched on in this thread is consumerism, for a lot of people all they care about is material things, that's not really going to go away. Another thing that's not going to go away is the British love of getting pissed-up and generally wrecked. For many people, the Christian message runs so counter to this practice that the Christian message will never be taken seriously by teenagers or adults. One of the differences between Britain and America is it's take on drink and why attitudes that can take a foothold in America will never really take hold here. We don't really have 'dry' towns in Britain, our drinking laws are far less restrictive than Americans.

Again, it comes down to the idea that I genuinely believe that you expose kids to a religious message whilst of school age, but when it comes to being an adult it just runs counter to too many things for the average adult to take seriously.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
hey the christians advertise all the time why cant the atheists.. Talk about double standard.

I dont think it will do much but hey if they want to go right ahead.

No one said they couldn't and I think it is a great idea to set a new precedent for organized groups who claim the can't be organized, selling a belief system they say they don't have about not believing in something they know doesn't exist to have a belief in the first place, selling a product they claim is one we are born with so anyone who doesn't already share their rude abusive in your face hostility towards Christians, can learn how to inflect asinine comments designed to enrage anger and harrass the same Christian viewing audience with sarcastic remarks about invisible friends and spaghetti monsters so that all the legisation they would like to see where they are not trusted such as positions in politics etc,. can be justified concluding in most of those same Chistians they pissed off to Vote against the Atheists for all the over done drama and undo harrassement they endured all the while still being blamed about the 200,000 witches they all burned in salem as if it was last week when it was hundreds of years ago and having to always correct the number as it was only 20. You know stuff like that sells real well if you got an axe to grind with God but since they say he doesn't exist what difference does it make.

Maybe the athiests should make a anti-bible and put it in hotel rooms, and build buildings to meet up in just to stay on par with the religions out there?

Hell why don't they just build themselves big buildings with steeples where they can meditate more one day a week on how much more they can activley disbelieve in that god that doesn't exist.

I swear they are looking more like a religion everyday and i can't wait till they come walking up my drive way with the book the God Delusion in their hands, knocking at my door to tell me the good news!

Then I can tell them about the bad news once they are safely inside my home while i lock the door behind me with a sardonic grin on my face ill ask them while they sit at the Kitchen table if they would like a cheese sandwich using my best norman bates voice lol.

I can tell this idea they makes a lot of sense and we will probably see many other people not interested in things they don't agree with or believe in, advertising also. I can see it now,,

The ads by the UFO skeptics!

No one will abduct you so just relax and have a nice day.

Or Big Foot probably doesn't exist so go ahead and have a great time in the woods camping at bogey creek.

My favorite is when Atheists who are so against the belief in such myths comparing God to Santa Clause, actually live up to their reputation for that for once and start advertisng during Christmas saying "Hey kids, Santa Clause doesn't exist! and your parents have lied! "

This will then diminish the number of future generations of children growing up enduring such child abuse and maybe even write books like the Santa that wasn't there, or Santa is not great so you don't have to be good with a video of some of the best of Christopher Hitchens as an example of just how a respectable Atheist acts and what polite language you can use under the influence of 11 shots of Vodka.

yeah let em advertise,, I think everyone should get a load of them as they are the only people I know that make the tragedy of having to watch so many of them burn and suffer an eternity in hell, not only enjoyable, I want season tickets and box seats!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

the problem is the way children are bieng taught the beliefs

i spent age 4-14 in sunday school/church, churches meet with other church you all go out on fun activities with other youth chruch groups etc

never once did i ever come across someone teaching creationism in its literal form, the church of england ive heard compared to a cucumber sandwich nice with a spot of tea in the afternoon but no real substance

any conflict between science and religeon was always brushed over with a generalisation

6 of god days dont really mean our days his days are different to him

i never once met a single person taught to beleiev the bible is exactly 100 percente acurate in every way shape and form and everything else is a lie ... did you?

now yes i see people bringing up thier kids like that, i see people bieng told that thats the way to do it to keep christianity alive

its catching on simply becasue christians feel threatened by islam and the evil atheists and what ever other demons are bieng dreamt up

they are accepting a more hardline christianity maybe as a way to combat hard line islam maybe fear of the atheists but its happening and its never gona be a good thing

give me 5 million church of englanders then 5 funddies anyday, at least the C of E will listen to alternatives and accept them if proof is provided

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

sorry forgot the sarcasm tags

i was making fun of the poor little perescuted christian -_- and his belief that we
A)singel out christians
B) think they are afraid of us ... we really dont care

Atheists singling out Christians to ridicule?? How unusual! Pffft

Atheists afraid of Christians? no way! I mean after all most of them only say all that stuff about ridding the planet of religion before the dumb "xians" blow us all to kingdom come so the rapture will happen sooner is just a slogan!

unfortunatley he seems to beleive atheist only do not believe in christianity .. o why are we bieng singled out ow why

guess ill go invest in a pair of lions

Yeah thats why I always ask people what they don't stand for and what they don't care about what they don't believe in because it so illogical to want to know what they DO believe in. Sheesh

we dont hate god to hate him we would have to beleive in him in the first place

That doesn't stop them from advertising what can only be a hate motivated anti ad. unless of course you loved God but that wouldn't make sense so perhaps it is indiffernce? Naaah can't be that or you wouldn't even be posting about this much less having any of them advertise about it. So must hate, and ill admit, it looks like it to most people that have better things to do than be so actively disbelieving in something.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by MAINTAL]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MAINTAL

does 1/2 of that even make sense?

why not we dont beleive in ufo's/bigfoot/atlantis adverts they have a right to

id be happy for them to do it ill even donate another tenner for the anti atlantis ad's

at least they arnt condemming or villifying massive chunks of the worlds population

eewww they keep saying about witch trials boohoo hoo holy wars
its part of your religeous history change religeon or accept its gonan crop up time and time again. when the atheists start a none holy war and go a masacering you can have the same fun back

what was that with organised unorginsations? i think your confusing atheism with the internet none group annonymous

why would we make a none bible and sit in a special building to meditate that would simply make us a religeon and well we REALLY dont want that although we could claim some nice tax breaks and go on tv asking everyone to send us money, God saves but jesus keeps spending your donations ....

yes were all going to burn in hell and you want front row tickets very forgiving you make jesus proud

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
LOL Talk about people who needs to get on with their life .
This is funny but sad really ...this will do nothing but make yall look really anti and prejudice .But hey whatever floats your boat ....
I think that yall really do protest to much against something you claim does not exist .

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is getting a bit out of hand. Even though I am relatively new here, let me step in to, perhaps, quell some of these waters.

The fact of the matter is that some people who are religious do villify people, however the opposite is true also.

In forums like these we see people coming to discuss their ideas under the guise of innocent discussion. Then it turns into what it has- two sides attacking each other. You are both proving your own cliches against each other.

Atheists sometimes 'believe' in their points just as firmly as Christians do, and some Christians could care less about what their parents and schools taught them about church and so on and so forth.

The whole advertising thing, though, on both parts shows zealotry.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

at least they arnt condemming or villifying massive chunks of the worlds population

Yeah I agree with that, it's only Atheists and the Religious that seem to do that.

God saves but jesus keeps spending your donations ....

Well as Atheists will soon find out,, someone has to pay for all that advertising

yes were all going to burn in hell and you want front row tickets very forgiving you make jesus proud

Oh so you know him too? If you think that makes him proud of ME hehe wait till he gets a load of YOU ha ha believing in him only when it serves to shame a shameless Anti Atheist like me.

Got to love the hypocrisy in that logic but it ain't nothing new, Atheists are so damn similar to Christians in their actions, it is hard to tell which one is more religious about their dogmatism

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreyFoxSolid
This is getting a bit out of hand. Even though I am relatively new here, let me step in to, perhaps, quell some of these waters.

The fact of the matter is that some people who are religious do villify people, however the opposite is true also.

In forums like these we see people coming to discuss their ideas under the guise of innocent discussion. Then it turns into what it has- two sides attacking each other. You are both proving your own cliches against each other.

Atheists sometimes 'believe' in their points just as firmly as Christians do, and some Christians could care less about what their parents and schools taught them about church and so on and so forth.

The whole advertising thing, though, on both parts shows zealotry.

I think that was MY point but maybe you couldnt tell with all the sarcasm. To clear up your impression about anyone being upset or angry, I like the banter and didn't take him serious at all. In fact his dry sense of humor is the kind I have learned to appreciate more as it takes a little more intelligence to pull off and he does it well

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

This is pretty silly. Another member used to say that atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color. However, I don't know of too many bald people that chase people around with electric razors trying to shave their head.

I'm sure the above analogy will be understood. It's like making a hobby out of not collecting stamps.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAINTAL

Atheists singling out Christians to ridicule?? How unusual! Pffft
please feel free to convert to islam and then i can be accused of singling out islam for special treatment over sharia law courts

Yeah thats why I always ask people what they don't stand for and what they don't care about what they don't believe in because it so illogical to want to know what they DO believe in. Sheesh

umm what?

That doesn't stop them from advertising what can only be a hate motivated anti ad.

"fear not your not going to spend all eternity in a hell suffering becasue the chances theres a god is slim and the chance of hell is slimmer, so go on enjoy your self a lil this lifes all you got" - if thats hate i need a dictionary

unless of course you loved God but that wouldn't make sense so perhaps it is indiffernce?

why would i need to love god or be indifferent to care for other people? or animals or anything for that matter?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MAINTAL

If we look at any other thread of similarity we can see that sarcasm like yours, while it may be funny, doesn't often really take us to a middle ground kind of place where we can come up with any real answers. Not that I am condemning your sarcasm, but I am just saying that I hate watching a thousand threads start as little flames, turn into giant explosions, and then die off as ash and nobody has really learned anything except how to ram their point down other people's throats a little harder.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

please feel free to convert to islam and then i can be accused of singling out islam for special treatment over sharia law courts

Sharia law is your problem, you guys wanted it now you will have to suffer through it.

umm what?

yeah that's what I said when ever someone thinks what they don't care about or believ in is so much more important than what they do believe in

"fear not your not going to spend all eternity in a hell suffering becasue the chances theres a god is slim and the chance of hell is slimmer, so go on enjoy your self a lil this lifes all you got" - if thats hate i need a dictionary

Ahh that's the trouble with you atheists always focusing on the negative. hey if their is a chance for eternal life just by asking for it,, what have we to lose when the one chance I may have to suffer an eternity in hell would be just my luck LOL

why would i need to love god or be indifferent to care for other people? or animals or anything for that matter?

Oh I love the slick semantics using the equivocation, I wasn't talking about things you care about slick, I was talking about things they don't care about, namely things they don't believe in but care enough to advertise others shouldn't either.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Its about time

Whilst the church doesn't have as much as a footing as it use to, there are all kinds of various groups advertising and hassling you in the street, so whilst I'm not an atheist, I think this is a great idea.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

reply to post by MAINTAL

If we look at any other thread of similarity we can see that sarcasm like yours, while it may be funny, doesn't often really take us to a middle ground kind of place where we can come up with any real answers. Not that I am condemning your sarcasm, but I am just saying that I hate watching a thousand threads start as little flames, turn into giant explosions, and then die off as ash and nobody has really learned anything except how to ram their point down other people's throats a little harder.

yeah you make a good point but what do you suggest we do about that? I have seen posts like yours before too and see them as nothing more than another angle to view it offering no real solution.

Im such a big fan of the writings of AshleyD Ill tone it down when I know such a lady is present even though I don't think I was being all that rough LOL

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

and then die off as ash and nobody has really learned anything except how to ram their point down other people's throats a little harder...

Are you referring to me with the name, 'Ash?' If not I apologize but I'm not the one putting ads on buses. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

and then die off as ash and nobody has really learned anything except how to ram their point down other people's throats a little harder...

Are you referring to me with the name, 'Ash?' If not I apologize but I'm not the one putting ads on buses. Thanks.

No, not at all. It was an analogy. Fire and ash. I was referring to the tone that a lot of threads like these take- They flare up and and then die out.

Heh, no, I was not referring to you at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

Ok, I see. Thanks for clarifying and my apologies. Sorry to have assumed anything.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAINTAL
Sharia law is your problem, you guys wanted it now you will have to suffer through it.
no see there you go again

we are atheists that isnt a funny spelling of muslim. we dont really want these either as they are biased constructs that reinforce religeons belief that it is special and the none beleivers are worthless

yeah that's what I said when ever someone thinks what they don't care about or believ in is so much more important than what they do believe in

i dont believe in god but i do believe religeon is a confining guilt riddled system that enslaves people with superstition and bogey men so its what i beleive V's what you believe not what i dont believe

Ahh that's the trouble with you atheists always focusing on the negative.
yes sorry i can see how having fun now and accepting your own accomplishments and failuers as your own must be negative when compared to an invisible cloud king that takes responability for everything you do

Oh I love the slick semantics using the equivocation, I wasn't talking about things you care about slick, I was talking about things they don't care about, namely things they don't believe in but care enough to advertise others shouldn't either.

we care about people not religeon, we just like to reasure them that its ok to be who they are and to take responsability for them selves and that contruaury to popular myth they wont burn in hell for all eternity a skeleton in a black cloak wont appear to take them on a boat ride and viking women wont decend then refuse to carry them off to cloud land should they decide to die

think of it like a public service anouncement

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join