It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic lightning may have sparked life on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Volcanic lightning may have sparked life on Earth

environ ment.newscientist.com

Jeffrey Bada of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in California and colleagues re-analysed the original 50-year-old samples left by Stanley Miller of the University of Chicago, in 1953 and 1954. His was the first experiment ever to produce amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, from inorganic molecules and a spark of electricity.

Bada's team discovered more organic molecules than Miller had been able to detect, and also showed that a secondary experiment – one that Miller carried out but never published – offers the best clue to how life on Earth began some 4 billion years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Now I would like to believe this, but these are 54 and 55 year old samples that have kept in a box were reanalyzed? That does not sound like a controlled scientific environment to me. I highly doubt the credibility of these findings towards the argument for abiogenesis.

Why not just redo the experiment instead of analyzing half-century old samples?

environ ment.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
becasue they found them in a box and said hey were bored and got 5 minutes lets have a nosey at them with our fancy new gizmo's

hopefully they will redo the experiments now it shows a good possability for abiogenesis, they didnt say they wernt so theres hope there

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well . . . if they would want to publish or make any claims to add or detract from Miller's work, they would have to re-perform the experiments. And, since we seem to slipping back into a time "religious persecution" with the advent and onset of I.D. and radical evangelical beliefs . . . any study on abiogenesis will be protested and potentially sabotaged by the fanatical.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Definitely there is more work that will need to be done (or redone) in order to prove this as a scientific discovery. If you watch the video the link contains you can see the small vials that the samples were kept in. Glass with plastic/rubber tops. They weren't even vacuumed shut and the idea that they could have been contaminated over 50 years was not even considered?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Makes sense, at least as to why so many old religions worshipped Volcanos.

I figured out that is what an Egyptian Pyramid or any pyramid for that matter represents, a Volcano.

Pyra=Pire=Fire and Mid=Mit=Mountain....Fire Mountain.

Lord Paschal Shield of mayan fame....A volcano.

Our ancestors are a lot smarter then history wants us to know.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join