It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OPEC to hurt US consumer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This gets old!

www.foxnews.com...

I know free trade and all... But this is just al all out assault to kick us while we are down. Anyone agree?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This should be moved to another forum, maybe global meltdown??

Here is a quote from the article:

Just as Americans are finally beginning to reap the benefits of plunging gasoline prices — including more money in their pockets — OPEC is getting ready to squeeze them once again by cutting oil production and driving up prices to refineries.
The 13-nation global oil cartel — which includes Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Iran and Hugo Chavez's Venezuela — will hold an emergency meeting in Vienna Friday to discuss the steep and rapid decline in oil prices.

www.foxnews.com...

I brought this up in the thread about lower gas prices. This ticks me off to no end, they get their cake and eat it too.
Those gas prices shot up so fast when oil started to rise but have been slow to fall since oil dropped, they are pulling this emergency meeting to stop anymore falling prices.
So we have been so happy about gas prices falling under $3 and expecting them to fall further maybe even $2 but the greedy always find a way to make more money.
It is amazing to me that there hasn't been more of an uproar over this!?!?!?
How much money do these oil tycoons need? Seriously they have enough for 20 generations to get by lavishly. I dont get it but I guess that's why I am not wealthy.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Methinks I sense an energy war coming sometime in the next years?
I read this article earlier today, it seems a lot like things are starting to become consolidated amongst the nations of the world. Trade alliances forming while military alliances are becoming less important. Along with Russia, Iran and (?) allying together to form a natural gas version of OPEC.
Makes you wonder what the alterior motives for these people are, other than the obvious greed of course.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure I would call this free trade..this is Price Fixing.

Price fixing is an agreement between business competitors to sell the same product or service at the same price. In general, it is an agreement intended to ultimately push the price of a product as high as possible, leading to profits for all the sellers.

Wiki

OPEC's mission is to coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital to those investing in the petroleum industry.

Right from the OPEC page

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Months ago they were screaming that the speculators in N.Y. were causing the price to be to high. Now they want it back up there where it should not be because they are not making ridiculous money, There is a surplus. The price is still to high.

OPEC can shove it. This is why all you democrats need to tell your people and Pelosi that for the short term we need to pump allot more oil NOW!! We have enough oil reserves to cut off OPEC and if you don't think so then you had better listen to Lesley Williams and Sara Palin. Palin has even said that we have all we need.

If OPEC does something to raise the price back up then Iran will be the one paying the price. They buy their fuel just like us. We can and will blockade them. Its time we start taking the oil from these greedy terrorist country's.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

A blockade against Iran?

Obama will have to sit down with them for a meeting first.

Seriously, I agree with you that we need to make ourself energy independence asap. Enough of letting Opec have any part with our energy plan. Drill Baby Drill.........and everything else we have to do to become free from OPEC....

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
"OPEC to hurt US consumer"
And this is news, How?

You mean OPEC had our best interests at heart until now.
I wonder what made them change their minds?

Remember remember the 1st of November,
The OPEC treason and plot.
The facts are unclear, the evil is near,
OPEC hopes we forgot.

[edit on 21/10/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I wansn't insinuating that this was new news at all. Only that this is something that really gets old. It is the greatest example of the tail wagging the dog.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
If OPEC does something to raise the price back up then Iran will be the one paying the price. They buy their fuel just like us. We can and will blockade them.

So let me get this right...Using your arguement, I can walk into my local corner shop where they sell beer at a market price, and as I like my beer, demand that the shopkeeper sell it to me at whatever below market value price I so wish, and if the price isn't lowered, return with a group of friends to either block the doors of the shop or beat the shopkeeper senseless until he aquieces to my demand?

Its time we start taking the oil from these greedy terrorist country's

pffft ...the irony

[edit on 22-10-2008 by citizen smith]

new topics

top topics

join