It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Financial Terms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
A client sent me this listing of Oxford Dictionary updates to some financial words and terms.

CEO -- Chief Embezzlement Officer.

CFO -- Corporate Fraud Officer.

BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to mistake
himself for a financial genius.

BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance,
the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no sex.

VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the
market keeps crashing.

BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your assets
equally between themselves.

FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.

MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

CASH FLOW-- The movement your money makes as it disappears down the toilet.

INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past investor who's now locked up in a nuthouse.

PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
My God who is he. When I vote I will check other and put his name there. LOL thats funny.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

ACCOUNTANT
The one whom you are "accountable" for all those dinners, drinks, hotel rooms, and um..other things..that you tried to include as "BUSINESS".

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
From another site more terms. Here

MOMENTUM INVESTING - The fine art of buying high and selling low.

VALUE INVESTING - The art of buying low and selling lower.

"BUY, BUY" - A flight attendant making market recommendations as you step off the plane.

CALL OPTION - Something people used to do with a telephone in ancient times before e-mail.

YAHOO - What you yell after selling all you owned to some poor sucker for $240 per share.

WINDOWS - What you jump out of when you're the sucker that bought Yahoo for $240 per share.

PROFIT - Religious guy who talks to God.

BILL GATES - Where God goes for a loan.

ALAN GREENSPAN - God ( past tense ).

Edited to add:
Found this one from a British website in a similar vein.

"A lobbyist on his way home from Parliament is stuck in traffic. Noticing a police officer, he winds down his window and asks: 'What's the hold-up?' The policeman replies: 'The Prime Minister is so depressed he's stopped his motorcade and is threatening to douse himself with petrol and set himself on fire. 'He says no one believes he can get us through the credit crunch. So we're taking up a collection for him.' The lobbyist asks: 'How much have you got so far?' The officer replies: 'About 40 gallons, but a lot of people are still siphoning."

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Deson]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I had this email today:

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America, and the run on HBOS in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan.

In the last 7 hours Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up, and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches. Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale, and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black. Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop, and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank. where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Not that I understood the old terms, so thanks for explaining the new ones. They explain where my retirement fund has gone and why I have to work until I am 100.

top topics

join