It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft celebrating "Global Anti-Piracy Day" today oct 21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
techblog.dallasnews.com...

The bilge rats issued a press release statin': Microsoft Corp. today announced Global Anti-Piracy Day, a simultaneous launch of education initiatives and enforcement actions in 49 countries on six continents to combat the sophisticated, illegal trade of pirated and counterfeit software. The programs announced today include intellectual property awareness campaigns, engagements with partner businesses, educational forums, local law enforcement training, and new legal actions against alleged software counterfeiters and pirates.

news.cnet.com...

As part of the event, Microsoft is highlighting recent antipiracy efforts in 49 countries, ranging from the filing of lawsuits in the U.S. to a seminar for journalists in Pakistan. It's the kind of thing that Microsoft does all the time, although the company is aiming for some added ink by grouping together so many actions at once. "One of the things we want to illustrate with this announcement is the diverse nature of the work," associate general counsel David Finn said in an interview from Singapore. The third pillar of Microsoft's efforts is its engineering work, adding programs like Windows Genuine Advantage that are designed to make it harder--and less rewarding--to copy Microsoft's products.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
anyone else think the reason it wasnt well known prior to the act was becasue of the hundreds of pics that would have appeared net wide of people dressed as pirates outside microsoft buildings waving pirated copies of windows/office etc

kind of like xp's realease and several groups of people outside microsoft with working pirated copies showings it super dooper anti piracey tricks didnt work

or some other slap in the face like these ^_^

piratewindows.ytmnd.com...

vaporvaporomg.ytmnd.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Massive companies need to quit fighting these type of things and learn to embrace them. Adapt and overcome. There are tons of ways to make money and use "pirating" methods of data transfer to the advantage of the big companies.

They are stuck in old ways and trying to fight the internet....

It's so silly that people think they are screwing misicians by downloading music. The reality is that the record labels already milk them dry and they reap almost 99.9% of the profits from CDs.

The RIAA and groups that fight piracy are the true pirates screwing over the musicians...

Long live thepiratebay.org

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Just another desperate attempt to fight a war they've for the most part already lost.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
One day we'll probably look back on how easily we could pirate everything and miss those days. But I feel that time is a way off yet

Surprising though isn't it? How easy it still is.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As long as the prices charged exceed a person monthly salary, there will be piracy. It is inevitable! Make windows open source, or are you so afraid we might actually make a better product? Oh yeah, we did that already.
IE. "Firefox" anyone?,
WMP? what a joke! VLC 100 times better, or is that 100 times more codecs
Oh Yeah, Winamp whips the lamma's a$$ too.
The list goes on.

By the way the list was written in Abiword.

[edit on 21/10/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's nice to hear microsoft supporting free software.

The best way to eliminate piracy is to use software that cannot be pirated.

Hooray for linux!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

If i said it once i will say it a million time's.
If linux would support windows game's and make there own games as good as windows games i would never use window's.

walmart sells 0 linux games.
and 70% at least... of users play games.

and stop my duel booting my deskptops.

when linux does that they will be the king!!

[edit on 21-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well when you have a country such as China with the largest population in the world and 82% of the software there is pirated then that's a problem. It is not fair that some of us shell out the $200 for the software yet there are others who blatantly steal it. Gee, and I wonder why they have to charge so much for it in the first place?

Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a piece of software from a US firm.

Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorized copies of its Windows operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if many end users do not know it.

The deployment of Windows Genuine Advantage in China has sparked outrage from computer users all More..over the country. If a validation test is failed, the software changes the desktop background to a black screen every 60 minutes and displays constant warning messages.

Some users fear that their data is at risk because the package can disable some Windows features. The package has been used in many other parts of the world for several years, but was only enabled for Chinese language systems this month.

www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 10/22/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Strange about the china thing..i thought windows was well and truly cracked and Microsoft no longer had much control over those copies, even vista. Unless they were still updating their copies via Microsoft update, which I'd advise against if you're using a pirated copy of windows.

And yeah i've been dying to have a proper go at Linux, but I just don't have the motivation or the time to work around its incompatibilities with things i'd normally use on Windows.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by vapedson
Massive companies need to quit fighting these type of things and learn to embrace them. Adapt and overcome. There are tons of ways to make money and use "pirating" methods of data transfer to the advantage of the big companies.

They are stuck in old ways and trying to fight the internet....

It's so silly that people think they are screwing misicians by downloading music. The reality is that the record labels already milk them dry and they reap almost 99.9% of the profits from CDs.

The RIAA and groups that fight piracy are the true pirates screwing over the musicians...

Long live thepiratebay.org

YAARR!!! I have been trying to explain this very thing to people and only a handful actually get it. The net was created for a single, two-part reason...communication and file sharing. Just because RIAA have been cruising on the backs of artist labor for over 50 years doesnt mean that it is an entitlement. If they would stick to their primary mission and get their hands out of the pockets of the artists, piracy would not be a hot button issue. Artists have given away albums online from their site legally, much to the chagrin of RIAA, and have not faded into obscurity. In fact, I think it helps their popularity. All a band needs to do is set up an ad or two on their main site and they would make more off of the free downloads than they ever would going through the copywrite nazi system that RIAA has in place.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I think I agree on that one.

Do you think it's the same deal for games though?

If anyone has the time please read this interview with the creator of a failed game 'Hellgate London'. It was a good game and had alot of potential but it had to fail for financial reasons.
I'm not saying the games failure was due to piracy at all.

It's just abit of insight into the minds and emotions of game developers and i'm sure of musicians as well. What they want and how they feel. Please read it, it's sad at times but a great interview.

Bill Roper - Hellgate London

top topics

join