It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Moon probe ready for launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

India Moon probe ready for launch

news.bbc.co.uk

On Wednesday, the unmanned Chandrayaan 1 spacecraft will blast off from a launch pad in Andhra Pradesh to embark on a two-year mission of exploration.

The robotic probe will orbit the Moon, compiling a 3-D atlas of the lunar surface and mapping the distribution of elements and minerals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

BEST OF LUCK.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by fill0000]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It's nice to see India getting stuck in on space exploration. Its also pleasing to hear they plan to compile a 3D atlas of the lunar surface!

There is many topics on ATS showing landscape features on the moon that look similar too towers & buildings, hopefully 'Chandrayaan 1' will help and encourage further investigation into these annomilies.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I read that the imaging equipment taken up will be the most high tech ever to scan the moon. But the most exciting thing about this mission is that it is going to be scouting specifically for Helium-3. That's a good indicator about the ISRO's intentions to study the viability of fusion reactors in the future.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes, helium 3.

I heard it's hydrogen 3 not helium???

well anyways... I belive we will have some sort of war in the future for resources on the moon.

I am sure of it. I have heard U.S.A, RUSSIA, CHINA, AND INDIA all know about the resources on the moon. I have heard they plan to mine the resources in the future.
This may cause a space war . I have also heard the U.S is developing laser weapons and also new space suits for the military to build a military base on the moon and also a mining area.

What do you think will happen? If you know in the past histry resources are always one of the main reasons we go to war.

so why wouldn't the moon be different??

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Go Chandrayaan-1 go!

This launch makes me intensely happy, and it serves so many purposes! India's alledged openness with regards to potential findings makes me a happy camper. Or did I already mention that?

Go Chandrayaan-1 go!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's hard to predict what will happen, since no one owns the moon, you can bet in the future there will be a lot of mining/territorial disputes. I think china will attempt to occupy the moon first though, and perhaps the first to make use of mining opportunities.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Very Impressive!! Will be happy when the mission is successful.. Good luck ISRO!!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Not wishing to sound redundant however and interesting tidbit from wikipedia:

NASA Luna Base

According to Ben Bussey, senior staff scientist at The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland, Chandrayaan's imagery will be used to decide the future Moon Base that NASA has recently announced. Bussey told SPACE.com, "India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar orbiter has a good shot at further identifying possible water ice-laden spots with a U.S.-provided low-power imaging radar, Bussey advised--one of two U.S. experiments on the Indian Moon probe. The idea is that we find regions of interest with Chandrayaan-1 radar. We would investigate those using all the capabilities of the radar on NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Bussey added, a Moon probe to be launched late in 2008." The launch date for the LRO has since been delayed to February 2009.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hmmph, first thing comes to mind, why is nasa relying on India to scan the moon for them?

I hope India will release its findings independently, If nasa has anything to do with it they'll most likely end up photo shopped

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fill0000
Hmmph, first thing comes to mind, why is nasa relying on India to scan the moon for them?

I hope India will release its findings independently, If nasa has anything to do with it they'll most likely end up photo shopped

Cost cutting may be. I am sure it is expensive to launch independent satellites from every country for same purpose as one does. Hope we get see some neat moon pics soon.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Perhaps they will provide difinitive proof that the US never landed on the Moon. Its strange how that argument has never been put to rest given the fact of the hundreds of stas looking down on Earth.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
India's launch is successful so far. 2nd stage completed.

will try to keep this post updated.

India launches first Moon mission

ndtv.com...

[edit on 21-10-2008 by netscape]

new topics

top topics

join