It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics 101 ... Obama Vs Mccain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I WANNA HEAR WHAT MEMBERS OF ATS/BTS THINK ....

I wanna Decide who I am voting for and EXACTLY WHY ...

The only thing that I have heard good about Barak Obama is policies ... Doesn't Politics = POLICIES ??

Could I not make up a good policy and run for president on it or would people take in consideration my CHARACTER or maybe if I took enough Speech classes and was a good enough ACTOR that is all I would have to do to win the Presidency ... And lets not even get on the subject of MONEY.

What about History ?

I tend to think that the history of someone; shows more on Character and what they are actually going to do then any POLICY that someone could come up with ...

I am very open minded in my opinions and WELCOME any insights into this election that anyone could give me. As I have watched a view hours of debates ... and have not gotten much out of them besides that both candidates want to make the U.S. a better place than it is presently; as well that Obama is a Superb speaker or rather makes Mccain look like a 5th grader trying to give an oral report. Should a presidents ability to give oral presentations; have any impact on whether or not he/she should be president ? Don't they have people who normally go say what they have decided in serious matters I suppose they would definately have to be able to speak to a person one on one in such matter as him/her meeting with other dictators around the world.

One thing I don't understand about debates is why not let them debate amongst each other instead of Having a Moderator ...

Do we really need someone to Moderate things from getting out of hand between PRESIDENTIAL running mates !?!?! Are they not running for the same countries president ? Are we going to send one of them out of the country after the elections or will they still be holding an OFFICE that they are currently positioned in ?!?!?!? That is neither here not there just thought I would throw that in apologies back on track.

Another thing I fell to understand is when Bush was running for president he promised all of these Tax breaks and this and that. When he got into office he offered up a BILL to the house that was rejected HEAVILY. As well as two others he has offered up to the house since then that were also shut down. So why do we think that the president has the power to pass laws or do such things that in reality he/she CANNOT. Although I can think of one thing the president can do ... VETO a BILL. Which If I had to vote for anyone which I still am not quite sure I will be voting for anyone this election ... I would vote for a MAN/WOMAN that would not be a FENCE RIDER and would be able to use the ONE true power that the president would have and that is to VETO such a bill that would turn into law and take away any of the little rights that we do have left here in the states.

ON A SIDE NOTE:
I do understand that the world would be a better/happier place with a political system that was world wide and we wouldn't have to be developing new Military Technology but if any of you have any knowledge of history .. Whomever has the newest technology normally wins the WAR. Maybe we will never have another war. Maybe this earth is tired of WAR. Maybe food will be free one day and we can go back to the barter system and a HANDSHAKE instead of legalized papers and Court Systems that are so plagued with IDIOCRAZY*** (idiocracy) that we will not need them but in the light of the events that I have seen since I was a young man myself I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The only thing I can say as advice to any and all ATS'rs is VOTE OUTSIDE THE BOX. Write in Ron Paul or vote for a third party. What we have now and the problems we have now are from those people in D.C., the status quo did this to us and now they offer us more status quo and call it change.

Vote out all incumbents and possibly we can save America yet without bloodshed, and show those two parties that you are tired of the crapola choices they give you. I for one am tired of voting against someone or for the lesser of two evils, I want a real choice and real change.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Very well pointed out. Policies don't mean jack during a general election.

Things that were promised in the primaries changed when the candidates entered the General election. Likewise their policies will change when they become President. So what is being offered now is a best case scenario.

They won't know what they can do till they get in office. Remember Bush I Read my lips..... History indicates that the majority of promises are seldom fulfilled. They will also have to confront Congress which more times than not have their own agenda or twist to the issues.

What the Candidates say now I take like a grain of salt. They really don't know what to expect. Character counts more than policy IMO.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I do understand this ... And I do support most of Ron Paul's ideas although I find it hard to believe some of the LIES that he has told. Although I am sure that all presidents have lied for the sake of security of the country Ron Paul lied about his own beliefs and opinions ... Such as the Ron Paul gazette ... And him saying that he was not aware of some of the content of his own newspaper. In the case that he didn't know ... how convienant for him ... If he can't run a Newspaper how in the world can we put him in the office for the whitehouse to run a Country !?!? Alittle off subject as RON PAUL will not be the next president of the United States ...

And even if by some miracle he was I am still wanting to FOCUS on BARAK OBAMA and JOHN MCCAIN

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
The only thing I can say as advice to any and all ATS'rs is VOTE OUTSIDE THE BOX. Write in Ron Paul or vote for a third party. What we have now and the problems we have now are from those people in D.C., the status quo did this to us and now they offer us more status quo and call it change.

Vote out all incumbents and possibly we can save America yet without bloodshed, and show those two parties that you are tired of the crapola choices they give you. I for one am tired of voting against someone or for the lesser of two evils, I want a real choice and real change.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
SO we have decided that POLICIES don't AMOUNT to SQUAT basically as anyone can come up with the best way to do something although Hardly ever do they actually have the opportunity to do these things.

SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS I SUPPOSE WHAT DO WE HAVE PRESIDENT FOR ???

To meet with the heads of foreign countries ? If so I think OBAMA might be alittle better at sweet talking these type people into doing what he wants ... Giving them lord knows what under the table ... As possibly Mccain would just possibly piss them off and possibly cause WW3 ??

Originally posted by jam321
Very well pointed out. Policies don't mean jack during a general election.

Things that were promised in the primaries changed when the candidates entered the General election. Likewise their policies will change when they become President. So what is being offered now is a best case scenario.

They won't know what they can do till they get in office. Remember Bush I Read my lips..... History indicates that the majority of promises are seldom fulfilled. They will also have to confront Congress which more times than not have their own agenda or twist to the issues.

What the Candidates say now I take like a grain of salt. They really don't know what to expect. Character counts more than policy IMO.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
For the most part the problem doesn't lie with whomever is president at the time.Congress forms the bill the senate refines the bill and the president signs the bill into law.Our house of representatives is where the bulk of the problem lies.These people are elected to "represent" the will of their fellow citizens.Now more often than not they tell the people what they are going to do.Padding their pockets along the way.

The POTUS is an important position! However Congressional seats should be our major concern.People need to get off their butts and look at the record of their congressmen.Do they represent your ideals? How many of them start out as common men and women,yet end up multi millionairs?

Political promises by a candidate should always be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone needs to look to the record of the prospective candidate.
Common sense will tell you what a man has done in the past is a clear indicator of his future actions,pure and simple.The old addage a lepard never changes his spots is a truism.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Political promises by a candidate should always be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone needs to look to the record of the prospective candidate.
Common sense will tell you what a man has done in the past is a clear indicator of his future actions,pure and simple.

The old addage a lepard never changes his spots is a truism. ---as stated above is OH SO TRUE !!!

So what actually happens in this oh so complicated process that should just be cut and dry is that we elect people who vote for us ... But as we are electing these folks they in actuality are giving thier votes to the HIGHEST BIDDER !?!? I mean that sounds like a plan for me .. I need tobe elected into one of these folks shoes ... Sure I would at least say I would give my vote for say .. 100k ... or ... My kidws College Fund ///

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So there is noone on these boards who like Either Mccain or Obama ... FUNNY.

top topics

join