It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant talks to the world

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
hmm, i didnt want to be the first to say it so...

3 days ago, i had a conversation with a flower in the woods.

you guise believe me.......right?

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
actually plants CAN communicate. (to each other)

a certain tree species in the eastern united states can throw off a smell or type of distress signal that tells the other trees around it to start producing more chemical or sap to fight an invasive fungus or disease that can destroy entire forests once it has set in.

it has developed this as a way to protect the larger family of trees that live near by.

(can't remember what species it is, but it's very fascinating)

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Yes, this is just another evidence that even plants have similar characteristics like us, plants also feel the pain when they are cut, and they communicate through the variation in the minute current flowing thorugh the root cells.

Can't wait until PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) gets ahold of this. We'll be seeing "Bread is murder" protests everywhere.

[edit on 10/25/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The plant is not saying anything. The programmer has programmed phrases for the various output levels of the sensors. It is kind of like the magic eight ball toy where you turn it over and it reveals your future in any number of phrases.

[edit on 10-25-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

elm trees across europe did a simialr thing during the outbreaks of dutch elm disease

tree's close to the source actually cut off sap movment effectivley commiting suicide presumably to prevent the spread

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Actually plants are able to communicate, feel and make differences between good and bad. It's been already proved with music and other things. They're definitely sensitive to music, but if the music is good, they enjoy it.

Why you can't imagine that plants may have feelings like we have and maybe able to express themselves like we do, just they need a little help? Because our human ego don't let it? Or because "God" told to us? Or because the "We're the chosen one" lie is our mania? Come on guys. Not we're the only intelligent being on the planet and the Japanese are always figuring out fancy, crazy but working things. Japanese are rarely making hoaxes at all. It's not their type. Hoaxes are usually U.S., European and Israel's mania (Brainwashed NWO countries). I already saw many great things what the Japanese are invented, but they were suppressed by the western media because they would be useful for the people, but not for the government. That's why I'm wondering why BBC is published this today.

But I have no doubts that this is working. If it would be made by a U.S., European or Israeli guy, I would have serious doubts and presumably label the thread as a Hoax. But I never needed to doubt in a Japanese. Unlike, we western guys, they have brains to invent crazy things.

Honestly, we should plant this sort of device into the plants of the White House. Oh, man. What those plants could tell to us?

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Sheridan]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I get the distinct impression that this plant can not talk; rather, the biofeedback is reading the plants interpretation (response) to meteorological conditions (i.e., air temperature, humidity, degree of cloudiness, etc.). Maybe even read the % moisture within the leaves, thus telling the biofeedback sensors "I'm thirsty".

However, I doubt that this is a major breakthrough that will allow man to communicate with plants. Heck, we can barely communicate with a small # of animal species, despite coexisting with them (i.e., dogs) for thousands of years.

Nice find nonetheless. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Wonder if the plant will get angry...or if it has bad/good days. I wonder what it's political and social ideologies are?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I can draw parallel between a fully disabled man and this plant. Through computers, both of them can "talk", rather communicate on the same way. What is the difference? The man has brain, while the plant has something else? Feelings could be the same. Even expressions. I heard that few scientists are already proved that plants are able to express happiness and also fear. The only difference between us people and them, we can defend ourselves when we're fully operational. But if we're taking the fully disabled man theory, in that case, we're the same. We can't move, we can't express ourselves directly. Only our eyes may show how we feels and maybe we can feel something on our skin. Now, in the plant's case, replace the eyes with something else and the skin with leaves. Everything is the same and also, be it a human being or a plant, impulses are controlling both of us. So, what is the difference? Absolutely nothing. Maybe the only difference, that I don't think so that plants would ever lie.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The article says this is a pot plant?

Surprised it doesn't say,"Feeling a little high today!"

Or, "I'm really hungry!"

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Maybe it's just feels itself just great. It's a human trait to make problems from everything. The difference between plants and us, we may starving to death within five days if the current system collapse, because we're damned too comfortable, but a plant needs only water. And why would it cry for everything if it has everything? A plant surely not going to cry if it's not get the newest and most expensive plasma HDTV. It's only our mania.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There was this funny experiment with plants as well.

One plant would be in a room with an other plant, and then some guy came in and murdered one of the plants.

Next they put the eye-witness plant on a lie detector test, and made people walk in the room.

When the murderer walked in the detector spiked lmao.

Though I don't know if this has ever been officially confirmed as valid or hoax, it's still funny to read.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

I heard about it too. Yes. There are many tests that are confirming plants are intelligent. Also they can't see, they can make differences between good and bad and also between their environment and the people. I'm not a bonatic, but I believe it's fascinating.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheridan

Decision making and rational thought come to mind when talking about differences. Ask a paraplegic to choose between different things and he/she can make that choice. Ask a plant to make a decision. ask a plant to have an original thought. Plants are living things, so they respond to external stimuli; however, they are not intelligent. if they were, why haven't they taken over the world? Plants have been around billions of years, humans for a mere 100,000? We've been to the moon, while not one single plant has ever uprooted and moved to "greener pastures".

Living does not = intelligent

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
There was this funny experiment with plants as well.

One plant would be in a room with an other plant, and then some guy came in and murdered one of the plants.

Next they put the eye-witness plant on a lie detector test, and made people walk in the room.

When the murderer walked in the detector spiked lmao.

Though I don't know if this has ever been officially confirmed as valid or hoax, it's still funny to read.

Mythbusters did this same experiment. There was no significant difference between any of the plants reactions, or lack there of. The myth was BUSTED

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Plants are not killing each other for the worthless wealth. Which is the more intelligent species in this case? They live in peace with each other and as someone written above, they're also defending each other if there is trouble.
Intelligence is a fluid phrase, but that doesn't mean we're intelligent or even civilized then they're. You never knows until you're not a plant. Maybe they're considering us as senseless barbarians. And honestly, I would agree with them.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheridan

Well, why aren't they defending themselves? Will you never mow your lawn again? Where is The Happening? All questions that come to mind. I'm sorry, but to place the "intellignet" label on plants is just going too far IMO. Believe what you want, it's cute and sweet, but it will NEVER be proven otherwise. We are just too different from plants to understand their "essence" nor for them to "understand" ours.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

That's the difference. Just as you said. WE'RE different. But that doesn't mean we're not equal or would be better then them. If the last cities would even disappear in a great war (not nuclear) or by a decease, the plants would bury our civilization within 5-10 years. We're great to kill each other, while they would survive. It's natural intelligence, what cannot be measured by IQ, but they're in fore in survival. Plus, we couldn't live without plants at all, while they can live without us. That's a damned huge difference.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If it's all down to sensors and software, I guess I'm not going to have my fortune told by a psychic plant any time soon then. 'Still there's always the Presidency, wouldn't be the first vegetable in the White House.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheridan
Actually plants are able to communicate, feel and make differences between good and bad. It's been already proved with music and other things. They're definitely sensitive to music, but if the music is good, they enjoy it. Why you can't imagine that plants may have feelings like we have...

Plants may be able to "communicate" chemically as some research indicates but I doubt they can feel. Feeling requires a nervous system. Emotions require the faculty to interpret input. I'm not sure what faculty that would be on a plant. Plants do respond to sound which is vibration but pretty much all living things respond to sound/vibrations.

I did read something years ago about a plant (flower, I think) that was dying out because the bees were no longer pollinating it. The entire plant species within a given area began to spontaneous change color to something brighter that again attracted the bees. That indicated intelligence (recognition of a problem, problem solving ability, the will to change, etc.). I, obviously don't remember too many details of the study and wouldn't know where to begin researching the information after all these years. Maybe someone else has also heard of and remembers the study?

Even if it were determined that plants have intelligence and feeling, what would that mean for the human race? I agree that we need to be good stewards of all life on our planet but I have zero intention of starving to death because it meant I would have to "kill" a plant's "life".

I want to do everything possible to provide an environment conducive for plant survival so that I can continue to eat but I don't think that includes babysitting it or reading it bedtime stories.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Actually they can feel. If you're speaking to them nicely, for example to a Bonsai, it will grow much better and will look as a healthy one. If you're shouting around the plant, it will die quite sooner. I can't explain why, or how is it possible, but they can feel the meaning of our own emotions through our voice. That's some sort of intelligence already, because it's acting just like a human being. If you're speaking to your wife kindly, love breeds love. If you're shouting with her and she is a fragile woman, she may crush, maybe forever. It seems to be almost the same in my eyes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join