It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene Mutation Protects Against Obesity And Diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Gene Mutation Protects Against Obesity And Diabetes

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Oct. 20, 2008) — A group of researchers from the German Institute of Human Nutrition* led by Hadi Al-Hasani and Hans-Georg Joost has identified a natural mutation in the Tbc1d1 gene that keeps mice lean and also protects against diabetes despite a high-fat diet. The researchers were thus able to gain a deep insight into the function of the gene.

Further clarification of its function would provide a basis for developing new approaches for prevention and treatment, as this gene could also be linked to obesity and diabetes in humans.

The mutation that knocks out the Tbc1d1 gene causes increased fat uptake in skeletal muscle and, at the same time, boosts fat oxidation. On the other hand, glucose uptake of muscles is reduced. “This shows that the normal Tbc1d1 gene has a very important function in fat and glucose metabolism and therefore plays an essential role in regulation of energy metabolism“, explains Hadi Al-Hasani.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Being both fat and diabetic I find this very interesting.

I am fat because of a bum knee that prevents me from exercising like I used to and because I am a former chef and my own favorite customer.

In short my diabetes is weight related and as I lose weight my glucose levels are dropping as well.

At the same time I have a friend, an African American, who like many of his race are prone to diabetes... for me I can reverse diabetes by weight management, for him, no matter what he does, he still suffers from it.

For both of us this is interesting news... it means it may be possible soon to import this mutation into diabetics and reverse the disease for good.

I had an uncle who went through hell before he died because of it and this would be a great step forward.

Its not always about diet.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is excellent news. I feel for you and your challenges. I too could use the cure if it makes it to main stream before I die.

How to become a guinea pig for the research? I would do it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is great news.....for mice!
Diabetes and obesity cures are nothing new, seems like I hear about a couple of them a year, always with mice...
Why are mice enjoying a higher standard of living than we are?

-Liquid

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is this for both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes? As I am Type 1 this would be great news!

Mitch

top topics

join