It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Suicide Rate Is Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

U.S. Suicide Rate Is Up

www.latimes.com

A new six-year analysis in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that the U.S. suicide rate rose to 11 per 100,000 people in 2005, from 10.5 per 100,000 in 1999, an increase of just under 5%.

The report found that virtually all of the increase was attributable to a nearly 16% jump in suicides among people ages 40 to 64, a group not commonly seen as high-risk. The rate for that age group rose to 15.6 per 100,000 in 2005, from 13.5 per 100,000 in 1999.

Susan P. Baker, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health and an author of the study, said she was baffled by the findings. Sociological studies have found that middle age is generally a time of relative security and emotional well-being, she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-10-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sigh...

I'm not sure what's so "baffling" to these researchers as to why middle age folks are increasingly taking their own own lives---When your demographic is increasingly facing joblessness, homelessness, and a bleak standard of living, suicide rates often do tend to coincide with such strife. Toss in the overmedicated society we live in, where anti-psyche drugs are often the FIRST option, and WHAM! There's the fuel for the fire.

It's interesting, there has been a lot of coverage of Japan's huge escalation in suicide rates---I hope that the coming suffering and strife won't create a similar scenario here...

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I saw this on the net this morning. One of the telling things in several of the articles that I read is that this 'revelation' doesn't include the last few months of economic upheaval and only relied on data from past years.

So, this could actually just be the tip of the iceburg as things get worse.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yeah those stats do not reflect the last year or so. The biggest jump was among white women. Usually women in that age range are lower because they have dependent offspring, but I guess these days many don't. They of course think depression plays a major factor. Then again suicide has always been more of a white and asian thing.

A news show also discussed the fact that the stress caused by the financial situation will start resulting in natural deaths over the next few years. Stress kills, and sometimes it doesn't show up for several years.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

join