It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Hard Times, Some Flirt With Survivalism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

In Hard Times, Some Flirt With Survivalism

www.msnbc.msn.com

With foreclosure rates running rampant, financial institutions teetering and falling, prices for many goods and services climbing, and jobs being slashed, many Americans are making preparations for worse times ahead. For some, that means cutting spending and saving more. For others, it means taking a step into survivalism, once regarded solely as the province of religious End-of-Timers, sci-fi fans and extremists.

That often manifests itself as a desire to secure basic emergency resources — what survival guru Jim Wesley Rawles describes as “beans, bullets and Band-Aids.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yet ANOTHER survivalism article appearing in a mainstream news outlet.

It appears to be a recurring them over the past year or two, and to me is a sign that folks are finally awakening on a large scale of how serious this all is, many of them having no choice in the matter.

I personally have been studying up and implementing my survival skills for when TSHTF.

People used to think I was "way over the top" for that.

Not any more....

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You betcha . . .

Despite being more laid back than I should be, a pretty much take things as they come kind of person and not usually that big on worrying about much, what's going on is making me rather nervous.

So, I started in on the whole survivalilst thing in early July when signs were clearly showing a looming downhill run at breakneck speed.

I'm leaving no stone unturned as I really and truly believe that things are going to get a lot worse in pretty short order.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Theres no "saving more" everyones BEEN saving everything they can lol.
I think that phrase needs to be forgotten for good.
Everyone knows its hard times and we are all saving as much as we possibly can
as of a couple years ago.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
People shouldn't flirt with survival, they should grab both hands upon survival and become messily initimate with it immediately.

I like how the article associates people who want to survive as "end-of-time"res... Survival means you want your time to GO ON.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I was reading this article earlier and have to say... way ahead of ya.

my wife and I have our supplies...
we have our extra warm gear.. extra camping gear.
all supplies in tote bins so we can put them in the car and be headed outta town with in 5 mins of something happening.
we have routes.

people laugh at us.. we get called crazy all the time.

and honestly.... and yeah, it's kinda mean... but there are alot of people who probably shouldn't survive.
when TSHTF, they will be clueless on how to survive and I don't want to be anywhere near them.

I have a question for you guys though... when things go down and you need to get out... where you gonna get out to? in general terms.

wife and I have 2 places.. very west coast (for food and fresh water) or the more than likely... the high desert somewhere.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If you're planning to use a vehicle as part of your bug out plan, make sure you pack some cans of that stuff that fixes flat tires in emergencies . . . I thought up that gem while walking through an auto parts store the other day.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It's not solely a US thing by the way. In the Netherlands it's getting populair too. The guy i ordered my stuff with said that people in the stock exchange business are stocking up, i found that pretty disturbing because they usually know what kind of thing is coming our way.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Not to sound mean or anything but these people that walk around with there rose colored glasses on, I dont feel for them one bit, an example..

I was at work and we had a activity for a ice breaker, tell one thing most people don't know about you, this is in a close nit work group nearly every one is my friend.

SO my turn came around, i said "I'm a preparedness person" the all looked at me funny and then started saying yeah your usualy prepaired for mostthings, I said no "I'm very very prepaired, let me ask every one of you a question about hour home, How many have electric stoves? how many of you have a well? how many of you have over a weeks worth of food in the house?"

Everyone has electric stoves, no one had there own well, only one had a weeks worth of food as she went shopping the night before.

SO them i asked when the power goes out for a winter storm, how will you heat your home, every one said i have natural gas or propane or fuel oul.. i said yeah but your furnace uses electricity to light and run the blower etc.. you will have no heat.. none of them knew that , not one of them had any clue the heat would not work with out power.

I said I'm a preparedness person,,I have wood heat that requires no electricity, i have my own well and a generator to power it, I have 200 gallons of water in storage at all times and 4+ months worth of food, my vehicles are diesels so even in the event of a nuke attack or other electromagnetic surge I have a vehicle, and I even have a portable home (large travel trailer) and enough fuel to go anywhere in the continent on hand at any given time.

They sat there in shock.

Hopefully the smarter ones took a few ideas away from that little informational icebreaker.. Most however think I'm over the top, however , people are waking up.. i hear more and more talk about the economy, but yet i fear 90% of the people i work with have nothing in preparation for any event let alone one this big.

Its the "oh that would never happen to me" attitude.

new topics

top topics

join