It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prof: 'Taser-proof vests put cops in danger'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Prof: 'Taser-proof vests put cops in danger'

www.theregister.co.uk

An Arizona inventor has been granted a patent on his Taser-proof fabric, which he intends to sell to police officers to protect them from villains toting electric stunguns. However, it has been argued that protective garments of this sort will in fact endanger policemen's lives...

...Steve Wright, "an expert on non-lethal weapons". He says "People armed with Tasers will now aim at the head - the officer may end up blind."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I've said this in every taser-related story I've seen on here, when the police start getting killed - or blinded - by these things, the story will take a very different turn and police and government will suddenly start pondering on how dangerous these devices are.

I really don't understand why people don't realise that throwing a new kind of weapon into the arena only escalates an arms race and exacerbates the problem rather than relieving it.

www.theregister.co.uk

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Geeze they dont need a vest just twist around so the lines cross and both parties get a zap

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Cops have gotten lazy. Instead of trying to negotiate with someone, or using proper takedown procedures, they just figure it's easier to tase someone, so they can get off and go home on time.
And some of them are just sadistic bastards, who get off on hitting someone with 10,000 volts. I have heard them laugh about. (One was laughing about tasing a 9 year old boy. I don't think he liked it very much when I told him it wasn't funny.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

I've said this in every taser-related story I've seen on here, when the police start getting killed - or blinded - by these things, the story will take a very different turn and police and government will suddenly start pondering on how dangerous these devices are.

I would much rather just worry about the occasional gangsta that pops out of his oldsmobile and shoots me with a gun (or tries to). It actually happens at least twice a year.

To date, have never had anyone pull a taser on me, and have never ever heard of it happening. Even if it did happen, I'm guessing getting shot with a gun is probably going to be a little bit more dangerous.

There are more important things than this. Someone could also get killed at home because some freak accident happens where they are showering in a thunderstorm and they get cooked. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
some of them are just sadistic bastards, who get off on hitting someone with 10,000 volts.

actually, consumer-grade tasers are 10,000 volts. I believe most law-enforcement grade are 50,000 volts. It's a pretty substantial difference.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

What the Frack!!!!

Seriously!! What about 'Tasers put peoples LIVES in danger at the hands of LAZY cops'!!!!!!!!

Tasers WOULD be a good idea...IF they were used by PROFESSIONAL cops, not THUGS as they often are.

In place of tackling someone or 'talking them down', they just Taser them, because these cops are LAZY and can't be arsed to do their job properly

They recently tased a mother because she wouldn't hand her child over to social services...WTF..........LAZY Bastard cops.

[Cops tasered teen mother holding 1-month-old baby until she let go

A teen who was Tasered by police as she clutched her one-month-old son just wants her baby back.
Misha Peterson, 16, said Vancouver police held her down on a bed and shot her with a Taser twice on Monday while she held her one-month-old son, Taige.
“Three or four cops were holding me down and they Tasered me twice in the neck until I let go of my baby,” said Peterson.

SOURCE

And lets not forget the INCOMPETANT actions of these cops.....But hey, he wanted to die anyway so who cares right

Nude Man Tasered, Causing Him To Fall To His Death

NEW YORK — An officer appears to have violated police department guidelines when he used a Taser stun gun on a naked, distraught man teetering on a building ledge, officials said Thursday.

SOURCE

So stupid, if i had a REALLY bad day/situation, and was angry and distruaght and threatening NO ONE but MYSELF.......The police would proberly tase me for it!!!

Because of this fact, all lot of people might fear for THEIR OWN lives against the police, fearing that a little show of emotion could result in you death.

CRAZY!!!!

EDITED TO ADD:

Amnesty International reports 152 taser-related deaths in the US

The use of taser weapons by US police has been linked to 152 deaths since 2001, according to a report published Tuesday by Amnesty International. The report found that most fatal taser electrocutions involved unarmed subjects who posed no serious threat to cops or civilians at the time of weapon discharge. Many were electrocuted while already in restraints and/or received multiple electroshocks.

SOURCE

Thanx for the thread

flag and starred

AoN

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Anomic of Nihilism]

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Wait a second, so if someone shoots a taser at someone else's head, the vest is blamed?
So does that mean cops can go around shooting people in the face with their tasers because they suspect the person might be wearing a taser-proof vest?
(SNL)REALLY!?!?(/SNL)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
One in three recent Atlanta Police Academy graduates have criminal records

Sad Really. It explains alot. I always suspected it.

Edit: It turns out the Atlanta Police Department Hired them ALL.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
yes i agree lets ban bullet/stab proof vests also

they put police in danger people try to shoot/stab them in the head

a sucking chest wound is always better for morale

maybe we should tell the military too

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

And some of them are just sadistic bastards, who get off on hitting someone with 10,000 volts. I have heard them laugh about. (One was laughing about tasing a 9 year old boy. I don't think he liked it very much when I told him it wasn't funny.

Cops have become the crinimals of the land it seems. They hold themselves and their kind above the law.......although they have the same distain for so called scum as I do.."pedophiles, rapists etc"....

A cop makes a powerful allie in this world though. It is good to read the Art of War and apply it as we navigate this new North American world.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

...Steve Wright, "an expert on non-lethal weapons". He says "People armed with Tasers will now aim at the head - the officer may end up blind."

Good, maybe cops will see how freakin dangerous these things can be.

If hundreds of taser deaths doesn't convince them, I guess a few cops getting a taser in the eye will.

Hopefully its some thug cops that get blinded, and not the decent cops actually looking to make a difference.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by ben420]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben420

Good, maybe cops will see how freakin dangerous these things can be.

If hundreds of taser deaths doesn't convince them, I guess a few cops getting a taser in the eye will.

This has always been my take on it and I've said as much on other threads. This won't be a 'real' issue until the son or daughter of some politician is hurt or killed or that a police officer is killed or maimed due to one of these things.

Hopefully its some thug cops that get blinded, and not the decent cops actually looking to make a difference.

I'd like to think so too, but I'd question a police officer's morality in being willing to carry a taser in the first place.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
HEh, I know this Sherri, when hes on duty , he thinks he's a complete bad ass, i caught him off duty and he was a pussy, go figure.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
When ever I hear of the military and police getting new improved weapons I think of a line out of Batman Begins. it goes something like....We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar… they buy armor-piercing rounds.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thats their job!

Being a cop puts a cop in danger. What's the issue here?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
IMO these things out to be sold to old women and pregnant women and children under 10 as that is who the nazi-like military trained police/military forces use them on most.

These devices are deadly in some cases, dangerous in most and overused by police always. One guy was tasered repeatedly until he pee'd for a drug test and he was strapped to a table when they started tasering him. Handcuffed children under 10 are on the news almost daily now for being tasered.

Now they want to give the police/military forces lasers and sound weapons to use on civilians. I am of the opinion our founding fathers were of: Any American should have he Right to own anything the Govt. uses, this is the only way to keep us the People free. This is the only way to ensure that the People can use their Constitutional Rights, particularly the part about THROWING OFF BAD GOVERNMENT!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
IMO these things out to be sold to old women and pregnant women and children under 10 as that is who the nazi-like military trained police/military forces use them on most.

Wow that's the most retarded statement I think I've heard this month.

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
These devices are deadly in some cases, dangerous in most

Drinking water can be dangerous too.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Bet you the bad guys get the taser proof vests first.

I am sure there are some police who abuse the way a taser is used. However, I think it ranks in that 10% bad apple group. The reason our reaction may be so high is cause we are constantly bombarded with these type of stories by the media. I guess the other option would be to shoot them instead of tasering them. Either way the cop will be criticize.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
The reason our reaction may be so high is cause we are constantly bombarded with these type of stories by the media.

Well, I'm a simple kind of man, but I'm thinking if something is on the "news" (like these taser deaths and stuff) it's probably .... well... news. You know, something that doesn't happen every day or much at all.

Last I checked, my News At Eleven guy doesn't report on the sun being yellow or the grass being green.

So if anything, I think these taser death/abuse stories are great, because if we are hearing it on the news that means it doesn't happen often.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Kwapp]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join