It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American st. Petersburg Police cutting up poor homeless people's tents, Disgusting!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

this is the most inhuman and disgusting thing i have ever seen .
shows how inhuman USA and its nazi like police are towards the people, trampling on the basic human right to live

this poor people are punished for being homeless, its disgusting.

and some people on youtube (check comments) think they deserve it ....

USA is heading for destruction

by god, i never saw police do something like this in Asia , cutting up poor people's tents ,

next what FEMA camps , genocide etc.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by sadchild01]

[edit on 21-10-2008 by sadchild01]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 10/21/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Cutting the tents is pretty low. I have to believe that they are probably trespassing and not allowed to be camped out there, but the issue probably could have been handled in a more civil manner.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Wow, that's some crazy stuff right there.
I don't see the need to go cutting up people's private property. Why couldn't they simply take down the tents without cutting them up? It's not like it's all that complicated or anything and taking them down is way easier than putting em up.
I find myself wondering if these people were ever given another option or if they were warned this would happen. Clearly we are missing part of the story here aside from the police looking like complete erks.
You can't just pitch a tent anywhere you want without someone having some kind of objection or violating a law...especially next to a street like that, so I am guessing the police were simply "cleaning up" the neighborhood. Their tactics leave much to be desired, though.
BOOooo...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 4N6310

I think that people were in the tents and refusing to come out. The cops seem to have decided to just cut them out.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Instead of catching the criminals that wrecked western economy, they are out there cutting up peoples tents. Nice country you have there for the poor.

The american dream does not go so far as living in a tent.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Just when I thought the police could sink no lower, they go and do something like this. I mean really, is their time so valuable that they could not disassemble the tents and give them back to the owners in a few days or something? Or is it perhaps that the average policeman is too ignorant to figure out how to disassemble a tent? Nothing more than a bunch of bullies exerting their perceived sense of power if you ask me.

I fear this is just the start of things to come.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Destructive

Vindictive

these are words that first spring to mind.

Time for individual officers to review their life path and ask themselves if this is what they want to be paid to do. Ask themselves if this is what they'll be proud to remember in their dotage.

The utter vindictiveness of these actions is what we need to ponder.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
just made a thread about tent citys here, about police in British Columbia asking people nicely to leave. Then you look at how the US handles the problem and it is brutal and obscene. Why are the misfortunate treated in such a manner?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
This is simply re-enforcement of the police state, a show of force before things get any worse.

Unless they were a danger to themselves or others and the police used warnings then force, it's an odd situation.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
that really is a new low for those policemens lives. I wonder how the justify it to themselves when they go to bed at night,and are alone with their thoughts.

As if people who have been made homeless haven't got it tough enough already. It's utterly dispicable.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
As barbaric as this may seem, it is clear in the video that this area had been around for a long time based on the amount of trash, debris or whatever you may call it. You can also bet that these folks had been warned multiple times in the past. The tents were set up along a road under an overpass. The size of this tent settlement certainly became a safety hazard to the folks DRIVING on the road. I have driven through similar areas in my city and it is unnerving. These folks wander into the road and usually panhandle aggressively. Many are mentally disturbed or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I know it is sad but the police are protecting there safety and the safety of others. If one of these folks was struck by a vehicle and killed the same people who shot the video would blame the police for not protecting them. THis video clearly does not show the whole story. Thus the problem with people who get there news and info from YouTUbe.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Whatever happened to "Protect and Serve?"

This is overkill. It's meant to show us what can...and will happen IF you step over any "lines" these days. I do not advocate breaking the law. However, any situation always has more than one option in regards as to how "unusual" predicaments should be handled, this being one. WHY cut up the tents, unless of course it was to show these unfortunates just how powerless they really are, and naturally to throw FEAR into them.
Can't control without FEAR.

Very disturbing to read about what I consider Gestapo type tactics in MY land of the Free and Home of the Brave...?

What's happened to us?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
As barbaric as this may seem, it is clear in the video that this area had been around for a long time based on the amount of trash, debris or whatever you may call it. You can also bet that these folks had been warned multiple times in the past. The tents were set up along a road under an overpass. The size of this tent settlement certainly became a safety hazard to the folks DRIVING on the road. I have driven through similar areas in my city and it is unnerving. These folks wander into the road and usually panhandle aggressively. Many are mentally disturbed or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I know it is sad but the police are protecting there safety and the safety of others. If one of these folks was struck by a vehicle and killed the same people who shot the video would blame the police for not protecting them. THis video clearly does not show the whole story. Thus the problem with people who get there news and info from YouTUbe.

Shh you. That's not what you're supposed to say.

Please re-edit your post with lines like "omg this is a police state!!!1" and "omg those evil police!!11" and possibly "zomg our rights are being taken away every day!!!1"

thank you

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is kind of old news - the tent slashing actually happened somewhere back in the beginning of 2007. Here's an interesting blog about the tent cities in St. Pete's www.stpeteforpeace.org...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Yup, I saw this. My boyfriend use to work at the Harborage Marina in St. Pete, FL. He was maybe 6 blocks from tent city. They had to keep moving because the police kept destroying their tents. Mind you, they did this more the once and they did it in the middle of the winter. Contrary to what many believe, even in FL it can drop to 40 degrees at night during the winter. Very sad watching them live like that.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kwapp

Originally posted by jibeho...I know it is sad but the police are protecting there safety and the safety of others. If one of these folks was struck by a vehicle and killed the same people who shot the video would blame the police for not protecting them. THis video clearly does not show the whole story. Thus the problem with people who get there news and info from YouTUbe.

Shh you. That's not what you're supposed to say.

Please re-edit your post with lines like "omg this is a police state!!!1" and "omg those evil police!!11" and possibly "zomg our rights are being taken away every day!!!1"
thank you

Gee...welcome to ATS. Good to establish your credibility up front.

What remains of this story, though, is that tent cities are springing up all over...yes, Canada, too. Mind you, our 'Left Coast' has always been a magnet for nomads.

Still, where does one expect all those who lost their homes to live? Check into a hotel? How about those who lost their manufacturing jobs to China? Have you invited any shelters into your neighbourhood of late?

And to dismiss them as being on drugs or booze...what do you figure is the mental cost of having apparently 'failed' in life? Face it, these are your brothers and sisters out there, and you don't have to be some kind of commie to give a rat's patoot for your fellow American.

This is more about property values, delicate middle class sensibilities, and NIMBYism than traffic control.

Get used to it...you're gonna see a lot more of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If you put your tent on my property without prior approval I will give you ample time to remove it. If you don't move it I will remove it. If you get ugly I will get ugly.

Trespassing is illegal. If you are on my property and you get hurt I am responsible for you. You can sue me and take everything I've worked hard for. Even though you are breaking the law you can still sue me.

I have allowed certain homeless people access to my land. I do have a conscious. I am not a monster.

Every November I pay the property tax on my land. Why should I allow someone to put up a tent, make a mess, endanger the timber with camp fires, and put my grandchildren at risk?

It is my intention to allow a certain number of homeless people use of my land if and when we go into depression and the number of homeless exceeds the legal places they can go in my city. I will become involved to the point that I will help feed them. I will also hire 24 hour security. But...they will work. They will till the land and grow food. to help feed themselves and to sell and better their conditions.

Will you open up your front or back yard to a homeless family? Will you help feed them? Will you take responsibility for them? Will you start a community garden to feed the poor.

It's very easy to condemn the actions of others while you are sitting at your desk, sipping a soda and eating a snack.

My family and I will be feeding the poor and homeless again this Christmas. We will fry turkeys and have dressing, string beans, fruit salad, cranberry sauce and many homemade deserts and bread and butter/honey. We set up and start cooking Christmas eve day in my son's parking lot at his business.

WE feel we need to give back some of what we have received during the year. What can you do? Can you adopt a homeless family for Christmas dinner? Will you prepare and take dinner to a hungry family?

I am sure we are not being told the complete story about the destruction of the tent city. Had I had a tent there I would have busted my butt getting it down and off the property. Were they given this choice, probably, we don't know. I would wager they were warned.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
If you put your tent on my property without prior approval I will give you ample time to remove it. If you don't move it I will remove it. If you get ugly I will get ugly.

I agree with what you're saying in regards to private property. My assumption is that these tents were on public lands. St Petersburg, Fla? Tourist town. I think we know why the city fathers swatted the squatters...bad for business. Still, it's like peeing in your boot to keep your foot warm...it won't make the problem go away, simply move it to another jurisdiction.

It is my intention to allow a certain number of homeless people use of my land if and when we go into depression and the number of homeless exceeds the legal places they can go in my city...My family and I will be feeding the poor and homeless again this Christmas.

Well then, blessings be upon you for walking the walk, and not just talking the talk. All I seem to see in this election year are the politics of mean. Nice to have somebody remind me of why I like Americans so much.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

I agree.
I live near where this happened and I've been wondering where all the homeless peope are.
I never see them anymore in my city.
Strange I think.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
All the land in the world is owned by someone. Where are the homeless supposed to go? Unless they purchase some land with money they don't have, they'll be forced to trespass no matter where they go.

People are becoming criminalized by circumstance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join