It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Murtha Clarifies 'Racist' Remark with 'Redneck' Claim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Rep. Murtha Clarifies 'Racist' Remark with 'Redneck' Claim

elections.foxnews.com

Democratic Rep. John Murtha said Monday some of his constituents in western Pennsylvania are "rednecks" and the entire region just five to 10 years ago was "really redneck."

The comments come one week after he called his own constituents "racist" in an interview with his local newspaper.

"What I said, that indicted everybody, that's not what I meant at all. What I mean is there's still folks that have a problem voting for someone because they are black," Murtha said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thepittsburghchannel.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Well, yet again we witness the "Race Card" rearing its all too familiar head this Election Season. How can anyone re-elect such an incompetent and insulting Representative? He makes fun of his own Constituents, puts forth Derogatory Allegations in regards to the United States Military, and yet he still expects to defend his current seat in the House? If he is re-elected, he will only be proving to his Constituents how gullible and desperate they are, and how much they actually "Sweat" him. It is about time that Rep. Murtha receives a BOOT straight out of Congress.

elections.foxnews.com

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Well, yet again we witness the "Race Card" rearing its all too familiar head this Election Season. How can anyone re-elect such an incompetent and insulting Representative?

elections.foxnews.com

But Murtha is right in that there will be people that won't vote for Obama because of the colour of his skin. As ugly as the truth is, there are racists out there who'd rather vote for a talking dog than a black man. That's not playing the race card, that's a statement of fact. He was definitely wrong to call everyone racist initially, but the clarified statement is true.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
But Murtha is right in that there will be people that won't vote for Obama because of the colour of his skin. As ugly as the truth is, there are racists out there who'd rather vote for a talking dog than a black man. That's not playing the race card, that's a statement of fact. He was definitely wrong to call everyone racist initially, but the clarified statement is true.

And how many black people will vote for Obama just because he IS black? Or, put another way, how many won't vote for McCain just because he's white?

The "race card" is a double edge sword.

For the record, I think everyone should write in "Ron Paul" on the Presidential section.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

And how many black people will vote for Obama just because he IS black? Or, put another way, how many won't vote for McCain just because he's white?

The "race card" is a double edge sword.

For the record, I think everyone should write in "Ron Paul" on the Presidential section.

It certainly is. I'm not disputing that at all, merely pointing out that Murtha is right, the problem that some people have with Obama is down to the colour of his skin.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

well spoken my friend, well spoken........I seem to remember race being less of an issue BEFORE this campaign started...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Well, yet again we witness the "Race Card" rearing its all too familiar head this Election Season. How can anyone re-elect such an incompetent and insulting Representative?

elections.foxnews.com

it is also true that most black people ARE voting for obama because he is black. that is racist. you know what, if they are voting for him because he is black, i am voting for mccain because he is white. dont like it? youll have to cut my arm off and bring it to the ballot box to change my vote

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

If Murtha was calling his black constituents by an unwarranted name and calling them racist for voting for Obama because of the color of his skin, Jesse Jackson and gang would be down there calling for his head.

Why do people always want to make it like the white guy is the only racist son of a gun in the world.? Every nationality has a racist side to it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Murtha and many others just like him (rep or dem) are the main motivators to enact strict term limits in congress. These career politicians have far too much to lose and far too many lobbyists to piss off if they buck the system. They fear nothing not even reprisal from their own constituents. Pathetic... If I lived in PA i would be outraged and embarassed.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I agree with you. I am debating wether it is good to add to the debate right now or not. I agree that the truth is what it is but this fact is relatively obvious, in a narrow sense, and was now the right time to throw it in? I have been watching as the cat has been comming out of the bag so to speak and the racial divide in this country is very apparent. Racially tinged discussions as opposed to those that mean something. Today, a bear?? was found dead on a school lawn covered in Obama signs. Yesterday I saw an Obama "ghost' hung on a tree - unrepentantly - the McCain chants for death, traitor, lynchings, it's all there - it IS happening. Murtha has one large mouth on him regardless.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman

it is also true that most black people ARE voting for obama because he is black. that is racist. you know what, if they are voting for him because he is black, i am voting for mccain because he is white. dont like it? youll have to cut my arm off and bring it to the ballot box to change my vote

Most black people? Can you actually back that up?

Anyway, with regard to the to the actual story, you're basically showing that Murtha's right. So what's the problem? Or are you another confused person thinking that somehow I've actually said that only whites can be racist?

Enjoy your racist voting!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Why do people always want to make it like the white guy is the only racist son of a gun in the world.? Every nationality has a racist side to it.

I don't know. But then again, I don't know why you are appear to be suggesting that I'm saying that only white people can be racist either. It's certainly not something I've actually said.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The nerve of him, saying the truth out loud like that

Clearly this Marine who won a Bronze Star in Vietnam "hates America"

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

sorry, not intended to say you said it. Just curious as to your opinion. Lately it is all over the internet and media portraying the whites as racist or rednecks but seldom make reference to the blacks voting for Obama due to color.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

sorry, not intended to say you said it. Just curious as to your opinion. Lately it is all over the internet and media portraying the whites as racist or rednecks but seldom make reference to the blacks voting for Obama due to color.

No problem

I don't have an ulterior motive in this at all. I'm very much aware of racism against whites and I've actually been a victim of it myself.

All that I've been saying is that Murtha is actually right, there are white people that will vote on lines of colour. This thread has actually proved it as someone admitted it themselves. So, in that respect, I really don't understand what the issue is here as it's something that most people are aware of.

However, for some reason unbeknownst to me, people seem desperate to jump on to the polar view, that blacks will also vote for Obama because of his colour. Yes, some undoubtedly will - and again, I've never said that's the case, despite it being thrown at me like some kind of accusation - however that wasn't the subject of the thread.

I don't understand why some posters have got so defensive over it. Perhaps they feel the need to justify their own beliefs or something?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

I agree with you. I am debating wether it is good to add to the debate right now or not. I agree that the truth is what it is but this fact is relatively obvious, in a narrow sense, and was now the right time to throw it in? I have been watching as the cat has been comming out of the bag so to speak and the racial divide in this country is very apparent. Racially tinged discussions as opposed to those that mean something. Today, a bear?? was found dead on a school lawn covered in Obama signs. Yesterday I saw an Obama "ghost' hung on a tree - unrepentantly - the McCain chants for death, traitor, lynchings, it's all there - it IS happening. Murtha has one large mouth on him regardless.

ColoradoJens

Perhaps you're right. Maybe whilst Murtha's point of view was right, but the timing was wrong. However, when is a good time to point this out? Perhaps the answer is "never" but should it be a taboo subject entirely?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I don't know why it's racist when African Americans vote for Obama. There are only two choices after all, and traditionally they tend to vote Democratic. African Americans have been voting for white men all their lives. How is that racist? Can't they vote for somebody different this time around? It seems like some people on these boards will only be happy when they all vote for McCain.

As far as Murtha's comments go, the term "redneck" is often considered pretty derogatory too. But there should be a rational way to talk about racism as it actually exists, I agree there.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Reply to Merriman Weir

I was way to vague in my last response to your posts. I was speaking from the dem/lib side of things in reference to his timing. Ultimately there is only one truth and thus it is never a bad thing. I am glad you have said what you did becasue I believe it to be true, but Murtha isn't doing anyone any favors on the dem side - the ole' don't kick a sleeping dog - regardless, I want the truth out and I believe this election is a watershed moment in our country where we are truly going to see who let's their "racisim" get the best of them.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 21-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

there are racists out there who'd rather vote for a talking dog than a black man.

I'm no racist, but I'd Sooo vote for a talking dog before Anyone running right now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join