It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get to the fourth dimension...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I know that a famouse mathmatition was able to mathmatically prove and plot the fourth through fifteenth dimensions but how do we even get to or use even just the fourth?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
We are expirencing the fourth dimension which is time. Time is a property in space. We are in the third dimension but fourth dimension is affecting us.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There are by the way 11 dimensions not 15. I can see where you got messed up. 4 through 15 is 11 but there are only 11 dimensions

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
makes scence but if we are able to draw in first through what looks like third why cant we draw fourth dimensionally? and we can controll through third so i was wondering if there were any theories on how we could controll the fourth. And does anyone have a list of what the 11 demensions are?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by IQkid]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This isn't a giant video game bud.

There are at least 4 dimensions, those being 3 spatial which we identify as length, width, and height, then 1 time, which, as said, affects us, but is not perceived visually by us. It isn't something 'drawable', because you cannot truly draw 4 dimensions in a 3D plane, which is where we live. The other dimensions have much doubt and debate concerning them, and there could be 10 or 11, or 25 or 26, though 11 is currrently the likeliest. Now, since we're in 3 dimensions, and we can just barely begin to understand the fourth dimension, we wouldn't dare start naming all dimensions 5 through a possible 26. We could make a length a width, and besides that, we don't know the nature of these extra dimensions, chances are they aren't like our length/width/time, some theories say they are an expanded form of ours, others say that they are curled up at every point within ours. There's a lot to learn here, and time travel just isn't as easy as you want it to be.

Post Script: Well, there is a chance this is a giant video game, but neh..

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Viendin]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

We are expirencing the fourth dimension which is time. Time is a property in space. We are in the third dimension but fourth dimension is affecting us.

Technically, space is a property of time, if you can wrap your head around that one. Time, if we are truly referring to it as representing the 4th dimension, is the higher of the two dimensions. Thus, the lower dimension is a property of the higher dimension, so our spatial qualities are part of the fourth dimension, time.

What we experience is "spacetime," which is a combination of the two. We are spatial objects moving through time. In reality, we are only experiencing a small property of the fourth dimension. It becomes much more complex when you look at the fourth dimension more dynamically. I would almost relate this to fractals (fractions of dimensions) in order to explain why we only experience part of a dimension (or how it is even possible to do so).

Alas, it really isn't that big of a deal. I just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If you want to know what they mean about having 10 or 11 dimensions (no, not 15), then check out this link:

www.pbs.org...

I hope you have a good internet connection.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Working on higher dimensions in math is pretty easy, you just assign a new co�rdinate to every point:
instead of (x1,x2,x3) you can also say (x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7). Mathematically this is no problem; my math teacher did his doctorate thesis on fourier analysis in infinite dimensions.

The real problem is using these extra dimensions in physics. We can see only 4, how can there be 11 then? There are theories to explain this though. The other dimensions are folded so thinly we can see them.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Wouldn't the higher dimensions be more like the mainfraime for our 3 spatial dimensions?

Like the form the essence the basic structure of what we can live it. They give it all its properties and we can change the properties in the other dimensions through our 3 dimensions.

Like a user interface, the UI is the 3 dimensions that we can percieve but the other control or structural dimensions are buried and we have limited access to them through the UI, if you get my drift. and the 4th dimensions time, thats another story. (ie. Does it even exist or is it even relavent anymore?)

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IQkid
makes scence but if we are able to draw in first through what looks like third why cant we draw fourth dimensionally? and we can controll through third so i was wondering if there were any theories on how we could controll the fourth. And does anyone have a list of what the 11 demensions are?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by IQkid]

You can see drawings in the 4th dimension, cartoons. you have to watch the whole thing which requires time, measured in length.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It is arguable the first two dimensions are entirely mathematical, and imaginary constructs. A point is a conveyance just as the number zero is a conveyance. It facilitates much necessary work. The "second dimension," also is the same kind of mathematical construction providing a "point to point," line for example, a radius, a diameter. These are quite invisible things used as references for distance. So reality itself adds another imaginary construct of measurement, when something finally "exists." What we are describing is actually the "first dimensionality," but even that is not independent of the "fourth dimension," again an imaginary mathematical construct adding duration and motion. So one could say reality is one "dimensionality," comprising measurements we arbitrarily compose as "four dimensions."

Any other "dimensions," appear to be mathematical constructs, mostly originating in the first four imaginaries. I mean seriously start with the "first dimension." It has nothing to it, only a "position," in relation everything else that has all the other "dimensions."

Hopefully this can clear up some flotsum and jetsum whereupon a value can accord for another way to think "outside the box," and arrive upon some of the same results but with a new bite on "reality," whatever that is.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by quiksilver
Wouldn't the higher dimensions be more like the mainfraime for our 3 spatial dimensions?

Like the form the essence the basic structure of what we can live it. They give it all its properties and we can change the properties in the other dimensions through our 3 dimensions.

Like a user interface, the UI is the 3 dimensions that we can percieve but the other control or structural dimensions are buried and we have limited access to them through the UI, if you get my drift. and the 4th dimensions time, thats another story. (ie. Does it even exist or is it even relavent anymore?)

well, what if you cause the UI to do something its not suppossed to, you're hacking the matrix, or changing the 4th dimension which in turn will reflect the change in the 3rd dimension!

top topics

join