It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper stronger than Steel??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I was perusing the news a second ago and found this article:

edition.cnn.com...

Interesting find. Can you imagine what we could develop with paper that was virtually indestructable?

What are your thoughts?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Buckypaper is 10 times lighter but potentially 500 times stronger than steel when sheets of it are stacked and pressed together to form a composite.

Perhaps these will enable skyscrapers 10-50 times taller than what we have today! They would be able to withstand super earthquakes due to their ability to curve or twist to a degree without structural damage or failure.

These would definitely reduce energy costs required to move land/air/space vehicles around while strengthening structural quality.

However, those who mine the metals of today that are used in today's vehicles and buildings, THEY might have a problem with this.

I saved the text from this story just in case

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I would hate to be in a high rise building made of paper when a fire breaks out. I would much rather be in a steel building during a fire.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
That offers a very large range of uses. If it's cheap enough, you could use it for housing, airplanes, vehicles, ect.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
I would hate to be in a high rise building made of paper when a fire breaks out. I would much rather be in a steel building during a fire.

HINT: It's not really paper.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think the technological advancements that buckypaper and other cutting edge building materials and composites will allow are astronimcal.

imagine a craft created out of buckypaper and space formed aerogel, and how much more fuel efficient it would be than conventional aircraft made of metal alloys and glass. The smaller amount of mass required to lift would make these and materials like these ideal for fabrication of scale models and full size crafts used for experimentation with new propulsion systems, etc. especially with the electric conductivity properties unique from other composites.

new topics

top topics

join