It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[video] Cops kick homeless out of tent citys

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Why not just kill off all homeless people and be done with the problem once and for all.

Fail to pay your bills, down on your luck = Instant death sentance.

Behind on your taxes = Instant death sentance.

Disabled and unable to work = Instant death sentance.

Old and decrepit = Instant death sentance.

Mentally ill, gypsy or weak = Instant death sentance.

Burden to the state = Instant death sentance.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by In nothing we trust]

I'd rather see the death sentence for our government officials robbing it's citezens of their money through the fed and special intrests. I wish those bailouts could have gone to the small buisnesses of America.

I also have a violent heart. I thank my human nature for that.

So would you and I fall under that mentaly ill catagory?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
To sort of respond to a few people and address a couple of questions.....

Crown land is public land. The land is held by the Crown for the benefit of all the residents. This means that someone can't just go and set up a house in the middle of the woods, because a lot of this land is leased out to various entities and the money goes into our govt's general revenue which means we don't have to pay as many taxes as we would without that income. Crown land is for everybody, not just one person who wants to live there rent-free.

That doesn't mean that there aren't people living in the bush, there are. But they are very quiet about it, because the lessee is not going to want them there.

Also, not all of the homeless are addicts. A few decades ago, our asylums got closed down in favour of 'community care'. Basically this means sending schizophrenics and others out to live in the worst area of town and count on them to take their medication on a regular basis. This very clearly doesn't work, but there is no public will to reopen the asylums. There are people that have chosen this as a lifestyle, people who have jobs but haven't saved enough for their damage deposit and first month rent (housing here is unbelievably expensive) and abused children. Painting them all with the same brush makes it easier to not care about them, but it's not an accurate reflection of the situation.

On a final note, the Vancouver police don't throw out their possessions and take their shopping carts anymore. The public got a little annoyed at that level of cruelty.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Duzey]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Another perspective.....

In June, Victoria police arrested David Arthur Johnston for violating the bylaw but said he may have deliberately staged his own arrest as part of a protest against the law.

Johnston, 36, said after Tuesday's ruling that he is "giddy and can't believe the decision."

"I'm expecting to sleep down in the mayor's grove tonight and when I wake up in the morning I don't think I'm going to take down my tent," he said.

www.cbc.ca...

David Johnston is a professional advocate and has chosen to be homeless (he admits it's his lifestyle choice and he even has a website called Homeless Nation). Mayor's Grove is right beside the children's playground.

I can understand why this angers people and I think that his brand of activism can do more harm than good.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thanks for all that information on the subject, Duzey!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the homeless guy that works or tries to find work, or someone who just lost a job.

There are homeless people though who don't actually try. They beg for cash and some do drugs. Those are the people I honestly can't feel sympathetic to.

As to whether or not they should be allowed to sleep in a public park or something, I'm against it. I don't see the problem with the police kicking them out of the park, but I do see a problem with excessive force (if and when it does come about).

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by damdevildog

Haha.. Dude you completely misunderstood. Im a vet too. I climb 300 ft in the air and pull at least a twelver 6 days a week. Im not saying you personally, i mean society in general. While for now its the only way to get by and have nice things and be a normal part of society, im seeing it in a completely different way where that is NOT the norm and we dont have to be "slaves" for the best years of our lives. Also, our FED tax dollars dont go to any of those things you mentioned. Dont ever say youd pay triple what you already do man we work hard for our money.. the whole system is not necessary.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by August Sonereal

2. If you don't work BECAUSE YOU CHOOSE NOT TO, than yes, I am mad. You sound like you're able to work, than work. If you don't want to work, and want to be homeless (which is stupid because no right-minded person would want to be homless) than I shouldn't see you in any park, or any part of the city.
Taxpayers' money goes into parks and whatnot. Parks aren't for a butch of bums who've decided not to work (because work for pay=slavery apparently).

Well thats the most ignorant thing ive read all week. What do you care what other people do or dont do? Thats the problem everyone is worried about everyone else. If you want to spend your whole life making someone else rich until youre too old to enjoy life, then go right ahead and do it. But dont ever judge someone who can see above our BS economical system and doesnt want to be a part of it. (Im not talking about the people who dont participate because their lazy drug addicts) I think people who have the mind to see a different way to survive without participating in our system are a good thing. And dont give me any of that, i knock out at least 80 hours a week and pull six figures, but im not gonna spend my life doing it just because people like you think i have to.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Please provide proof and cite sources that substantiate the claims you have been making.

Thus far you haven't cited once single source.

Please do.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthasAuthority
Well thats the most ignorant thing ive read all week. What do you care what other people do or dont do? ... I think people who have the mind to see a different way to survive without participating in our system are a good thing.

But that's the rub, isn't it?

We DON'T care what you do, just don't be doing it where we can see it, or step on it. Or have to drag our children through it. if you want to be homeless as a lifestyle choice, then do it elsewhere, and don't expect a free handout from those of us who bust our butts to feed our own families.

Cities are made for those who are willing to get along with each other. Our societies exist by way of an unwritten contract to at least try to get along. If you're not willing to try to get along, then just get out.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Very well said, a fair compromise has been made for these people and they refuse to acknowledge it. If they can't be out by a proper time then they should be forcefully removed if necessary. As humans they have the right to food, clean water and a place to lay their head, as tax paying citizens the users of the park have the right to allow their children to run around and not fall on a disease infested needle.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

homelessnation.org is a Canada-wide website by and for the homeless, it does not belong to David Johnston or anyone. It'll teach you much about what it is like to be homeless in Canada, if you care to learn.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join