It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[video] Cops kick homeless out of tent citys

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
whats the problem ? back packers , the army , other people on the move manage to break camp and vacate ach morning - why can`y thes homeless people ???

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Is this really what our police force is being reduced to? An army of thugs whose only job is to pick on and abuse the weak, defenceless and those thrown on the scrapheap by government incompetence?
OF COURSE IT IS!
Doesn't matter what country you live in the police are not there to protect you from the scumbags anymore! To them , you are the scumbags. . !

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Last week people on another thread made a good point. They said some decent officer said that policing changed after they changed the word, police to law enforement official. Though i think the police have always probably have been bad, given the type of people who would join them.

This sort of thing shows me, what sort of people they are.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I was thinking if I ever became homeless and no real plan in sight ,I would head to the hills at least you could grow vegatables to feed your family,putting up a tent in a big urban sprawl would be admitting defeat,having to panhandle or beg for food and or money,just my 2 cents,can't grow anything on concrete or asphalt except older

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I really wish someone would close this thread... many of you are clueless as to what the article/video is talking about. Many of you are using as some way to make your self feel better by saying "we should help the homeless"... I agree, but not in this case..

many of you are clueless cause this isn't in your country and isn't your problem... as it has been stated in this thread already... this ISN'T about home foreclosures or some such event... not even about unemployment..

this is about people who WILLINGLY choose to do what they do.. in this case be homeless and expect us to pick up the tab.. (they will tell you to your face.. ask them instead of having a bleeding heart).
These people aren't people who are trying hard to get established, get a job or help contribute to society... These people DON'T want to work and they know that in the end, us Canadian tax payers will end up taking the hit.

if you think that allowing these idiots to set up in a PUBLIC park is a good idea.. that's fine... do me a favor, take your kid to that park and let them play.. see how many needles they pick up. how many piles of human waste they step in.

these kinds of people come to van/vic on the west coast because of our climate... we take in thousands of useless people from other provinces.

until most of you get a clue about what's going on... SHHH.

they have a choice.... and this is what they chose.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
One of the problems associated with homelessness is sanitation. If you have a group of urban campers, they have sanitation needs that often are not being provided for. So, you need facilities for this population.

Often this population will not mix well if you have a tourist population particularly if the homeless population panhandles.

If you drive the tourists away, you lose revenue. If you drive the homeless away you lack compassion.

So, it seems to me, especially with hard times here that cities need to come up with locations where they homeless will be able to camp for extended periods of time and also place services for the homeless near those locations.

Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A very interesting read

I'm posting just to clear up a point being made in regards to those who are loosing homes due to foreclosure in the US. They have jobs and money. They just took Mortgages they can not afford and can not make the payments. Many lied on their mortgage applications and they bought homes way beyond their means.

These people will not be homeless as they have jobs and money. They will just move into rentals and abandon the homes to the bank. I don't know where this homeless stuff is coming from in that regard. Perhaps political rhetoric - you know, lies.

To those of you who do not live here in the US and may never have been here, nothing has changed noticeably. Nearly all of us still have our jobs, homes, giant screen TV's, SUV's and all that goes with it. The only ones hurt were those who bought homes they could not afford and lied on their mortgage applications to get them. Even they are not broke. Unemployment, even at 6+% is still historically low. The false info you are reading is hysterical nonsense.

Retirement investments is another story altogether. There will be suffering due to that. People need to take care of elderly in their families who are hurting now. If you don't, you are scum bags. They raised your sorry butts and paid for your diapers, now take care of them!

Back on topic to Canada. I noticed in traveling through Canada that you don't seem to have public lands. Even in the Yukon everything seemed to be controlled and then there is this "Crowns Land" thing. I wonder if someone would enlighten me. Why don't you have public lands and access to them? I can walk off into the wilderness here and build a cabin and live off the land without breaking the law. Can you do that in Canada? Are you that free or is Canada your constant landlord?

With the homeless, why not just allow them some undeveloped land to camp on away from the tourists and the urban area's. Why does anyone care if people want to live that way or not? I'd imagine they go to the parks because they have no where else to go? Don't they also have to be walking distance from government agencies to get food and medical? Doesn't that limit their choices also?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Right on Duzey, I felt my heart with your first post, it is becoming an even greater problem all the time.

I would never let my Children go play in that park during the day from what you have stated.

What can the homeless do though? And why do they not go out to the woods like the pioneers and the founding families did succesfully? Are they making a stand? Are they just mentally unable to think about what they could do? Scary situation, and if I ever find myself homeless I will choose the great outbacks.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I walk through a park where many homeless live every day on my way to work. I try really hard not to judge them and try and remember that no kid grew up dreaming of being homeless.

Maybe they werent born dreaming of it but at least 30% of my high school peers were dreaming of it and about half of that number got their wish via drug addictions and petty criminal behavior. They actively sought the grunge-rock, heroin-addict lifestyle as it was "cool" to them. Now they get to be "cool" fellating pervs for change and eating out of dumpsters. A few of these "winners" were the rich kids. The popular kids. The allegedly smart kids.

I have zero sympathy for such idiots and wish no support for them whatsoever. With any luck they will be shot to death trying to steal a television to fund their habit and their pointless lives along with the blight they spread will be gone from this earth.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hey so anyone know the best place to live if you ever get homeless? Maybe camping in a forest? Just wondering.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Hey so anyone know the best place to live if you ever get homeless? Maybe camping in a forest? Just wondering.

The first thing to do is treat others as you want to be treated. Stay in touch with your family and Friends and you will never be homeless. Many of the homeless are people who don't have family to turn to, so instead of getting help from family like most do they end up homeless.

Unless you have wilderness skills, stay in the cities where shelter, food and aid is plentiful. Stay out of the woods unless you are qualified and know what you are doing. There are no food banks, rescue missions or welfare offices in the wilderness. There is death there for the unprepared.

If things do get real bad, they won't, pal up with someone who knows their stuff in survival situations or learn yourself. I don't mean read a book or go camping once a year. I got training from experts and spent months in survival situations in addition to growing up on farms and ranches. You can't come from a lifetime in cities and expect to be able to go into the woods and survive on your own. If it all comes tumbling down, us hicks will be the ones still standing.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

nobody's losing their jobs ? actually i know lots of people who lost the jobs that they have been busting their butts at for 20+ yrs because the company could no longer afford to make payroll or some other financial reason

not making this up , just saying what i have witnessed as have so many others

me myself , im fortunate enough to have a job but now my hours resemble that of a part-time job more than anything ..... im in the housing industry and nobody can afford to buy homes like they used to so insead of making ok $ @ 40h a week , i make minimum wage type $ on 20-25h a week.

Without any type of previous notice given and of course before all this started happening i got a shiny new car a few months before because i was in no way expecting the economy to crash so now im struggling to stay afloat.

now im stuck with a decision that i didn't want to make which is deal with these hard times and hope they end(which im not to hopeful about) or look for another job which a good one is hard to come by nowadays.
4 years wasted at a company but i feel even worse for the people who wasted 10 or 20 years only to be told to take a hike.

on a final note , always try to be compassionate and not kick people when they are down , even though you may not understand someone's situation or possibly you don't agree with it doesn't mean you should look down on those individuals in any way ..... one day you could be in their shoes

empathize and pray for them and hope that one day we can all be equals again

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Originally posted by Dock6
Yes, where are the homeless supposed to go --- into the subways and forests so the more privileged don't have the distress of seeing them ?

America the great ? America the wealthy ?

If so wealthy, why does America have so many homeless .. and it didn't begin yesterday

How many billions have been spent murdering Iraqis ?

While in the US, so many don't have a home or job ?

Is it making sense to anyone ?

Dock6:

This thread is not about your US it is about Victoria Canada and a recent Court decision to allow life long bums to set up tent cities in our parks.

Further, you need to know posts from bringthelight are outright LIES and I welcome anyone to debate me about the truth here locally.

Here is Los Angeles, there are tents cities around which I have seen. I have just a simple comment about that to you LEO. I saw parents with children, didnt look like life long homeless people. They looked like you and me. I didnt see any drugs or cracked people wondering around, I saw people that were hungry.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
when the homeless out number the cops, the NWO will be in serious trouble. They probably know that though so they wont let it get too bad.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is great! The government using the treehuggers' own game to enforce keeping the treehuggers from destroying an endagered species habit. Priceless!!!!!

Shame on them for further endangering an already endangered species!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
right, if only if were the big bad corporate police being mean and tyrannical. As much as I would like to believe the thought that there could be a corporate sponsored government, that's not the case. In fact in a strange twist, there were enough activists to complain about a rare species of plant [iirc], and these guys got the shaft. The police tried being diplomatic about it and seemed to me very civilised and orderly in their approach. How ever right off the bat you can tell that these people [i'm sorry for their dispotion, really] come off right away as the type to resist and cause a stir. The police were doing their job, the decision was made above their heads, however they did give it thought and offered to assist in their displacement via shelters, extra beds etc... But more than likey because of their reaction and lack of consideration towards others, that offer would most likely be rescinded.

Don't buy into this nonsense, everyone has a job to do and sometimes part of that job involves doing thing noone wants to do. If you were and their shoes and refused to do your job, you too would become homeless very soon do to your inability to pay the bills. Life's not fair, get used to it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Originally posted by bringthelight
The good old gov't took their homes and now they are being kicked out of a field

What a bold faced LIE!

Some stupid Judge recently ruled that homeless people could camp in our parks overnight and the city amended their bylaw to restrict it to 9PM to 7am.

When these douchebags refused to vacate the park by 7am they were arrested by police for obstructing justice. And rightfully so.

STOP THE MISINFORMATION AND OUTRIGHT LIES bringthelight

[edit on 20-10-2008 by leo123]

You are evil.

Endangered species are more important than fellow human beings. Since when? What kind of argument is that?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I 100 percent agree with the d bag thing.
That has to be one of the best ways to describe the hug a thugs there is.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Can somebody explain why I have to choose to work (to be slave of the system) and live in some expensive real estate?

If I choose to be homeless and not work, what exactly is your problem with it? It is my choice, if I am happy and I do not hurt anyone I can do what ever I want.

May be...just may be, if all of us would step out of the voluntary slavery called economy, we would normalise and stop hating and killing each other... so often.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by FIFIGI]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

I remember about 1 year back there was a tent city here near clearwater and tampa area. The cops came in with box cutters, and went to town on these poor peoples tents.. Chopping and cutting them down!
It was so sad to see these peoples only homes being cut down by box cutters, and told to leave, and some where arrested.

But this was not without a counter. I personally showed up there with a group of others to offer what we could. Canned foods, and brand new Tents! We gave away about 15 new tents and I put in about 45$ of my personal money to help pay for these tents.

This is just another sad tale of these people who are being tossed about and being told there is no place for them.
While theres always 2 sides to the story.. Sometimes the homeless folks do some thing that are not legal, and sometimes make it harder on themselfs. But over all most the folks are just down on their luck, and all get lumped together.. Sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join