It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[video] Cops kick homeless out of tent citys

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Pretty messed up...an endangered plant species is more important than human beings.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by bringthelight]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 10/20/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The good old gov't took their homes and now they are being kicked out of a field because of a new law citing endangered plant species. Talk about kicking people when they are down.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
The good old gov't took their homes and now they are being kicked out of a field

What a bold faced LIE!

Some stupid Judge recently ruled that homeless people could camp in our parks overnight and the city amended their bylaw to restrict it to 9PM to 7am.

When these douchebags refused to vacate the park by 7am they were arrested by police for obstructing justice. And rightfully so.

STOP THE MISINFORMATION AND OUTRIGHT LIES bringthelight

[edit on 20-10-2008 by leo123]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

'douchebags

Douchebags ?

Can you hear yourself ?

Don't worry ... your post and description of those people will be here on ATS for years

Perhaps, in future times, your own circumstances will unfortunately alter

Maybe one day someone will toss you a dollar and you'll be able to access interent for five minutes

where you'll see where you described other unfortunates as 'douchebags'

Will you then believe the term 'douchebag' applies to you also ?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
These innocent people lost their homes because of the people who gamble with our economy and now they cant even keep their tents in one place. Whats the harm in letting them stay?

Would you like packing up everything to your name and moving it every morning at 7am?

These poor people have lost everything and now they add insult to injury. Where has morality gone in the US?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I personally had to clean up homeless camps in Seattle as part of working for the city's parks. They were absolutely disgusting and as bad as you can imagine. If they were threatening endangered plants then by all means kick them out. How are they different than a couple ATVs? Destruction of the environment is destruction of the environment even if you smell like patchoulli. Everyone who lives in close proximity to other people has some hoops to jump through. Life's a pain in the ass and unfair? Welcome to the real world.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am conflicted on this one a bit. Mainly, the conflict comes from not knowing the rules in place in that particular district concerning the use of Parks and Recreations. As well, without the court ruling text, it is hard to judge for either side. So, I am going to strictly comment on the the recording. I am going to assume that both sides believe that what they said is the truth.

I have to congratulate both parties (cops and citizens) for maintaining calm during this event. I say calm, because at the point of breaking the human chain, the citizens resisted and the police increased force to meet the resistance. That is not power abuse, that is compensation (on both parts).

The citizens seemed to be occupying a space that they felt they were legally entitled to occupy. No problem there. The police arrived and were very courteous in asking for voluntary cooperation. They even made sure to offer alternatives for shelter. The officers recited that the ruling was that the park is open to tent cities during (basically) the sundown hours. I think this is a respectable compromise. Perhaps it was an asthetic compromise. There are most assuredly a measure of people that do not want to recreate in areas shared with homeless tent cities. Right or wrong is no matter, that is just plain human fact. The officers, while only occasionally obscuring the camera viewpoint, did not remove the media or filmers, nor any other recorders. They didnt hinder free speech, rather chose (saying as much) not to debate a rule handed down to them to serve. The citizens did not violently or abusively argue, rather they expressed their given right to speak. They remained resiliant, yet peaceful and when broken, went casually and peacefully along.

This situation, in many many other places in America, could have gone so VERY much worse. This is a grand example of quality protest and free speech -vs- dutiful, humane officers of law encountering one another. If more events went this well, there would be a lot less hostility from both sides against the other. Heck, we (citizens) might even get out and voice protest more often. Heck, officers might even guard a protest area without riot gear, microwaves and teargas just to make sure that ped/moto traffic was not impeded. This should be included in the protestors field manual and handed out to cops as a what we and you should expect.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

The good old gov't took their homes and now they are being kicked out of a field

What a bold faced LIE!

Some stupid Judge recently ruled that homeless people could camp in our parks overnight and the city amended their bylaw to restrict it to 9PM to 7am.

When these douchebags refused to vacate the park by 7am they were arrested by police for obstructing justice. And rightfully so.

STOP THE MISINFORMATION AND OUTRIGHT LIES bringthelight

Wow man you sound like a child that has never worked for an honest days pay in his life. These people are not douchebags they are struggling to survive. Where are they supposed to go? It's scumbags like yourself that make this planet a piece of crap.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

These innocent people lost their homes

They never HAD a home. They are lifelong bums and drug addicts who have largely moved here from other parts of the country and the US.

STOP lying.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Thank you Dock6. Apparently you have a heart and leo doesn't. I just couldn't imagine being in these peoples positions and i kills me to see them get beaten down even more.

The cops were even nice about it at first ill admit, but why can't they be more like that cook county sheriff who saw that we are all human and stopped kicking people out of their homes?

Just cause the order comes from the top dosnt mean you have to follow it.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by bringthelight]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yes, where are the homeless supposed to go --- into the subways and forests so the more privileged don't have the distress of seeing them ?

America the great ? America the wealthy ?

If so wealthy, why does America have so many homeless .. and it didn't begin yesterday

How many billions have been spent murdering Iraqis ?

While in the US, so many don't have a home or job ?

Is it making sense to anyone ?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I agree they couldent have been more courteous...except the cop pulling the guys head up with his fingers in his nose...that looked like it hurt. A record number of people are loosing their homes though...they all have to go somewhere.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
Yes, where are the homeless supposed to go --- into the subways and forests so the more privileged don't have the distress of seeing them ?

America the great ? America the wealthy ?

If so wealthy, why does America have so many homeless .. and it didn't begin yesterday

How many billions have been spent murdering Iraqis ?

While in the US, so many don't have a home or job ?

Is it making sense to anyone ?

Dock6:

This thread is not about your US it is about Victoria Canada and a recent Court decision to allow life long bums to set up tent cities in our parks.

Further, you need to know posts from bringthelight are outright LIES and I welcome anyone to debate me about the truth here locally.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

You obviously have had a tough day. So sorry if i offended you and by no means am I trying to spread lies. I love that you said all my posts are lies..im sure you have plenty of evidence to back that up.

Fact is there are tent citys popping up all over the place because hard working people are loosing their homes and I felt bad for the people in the video and figured I would share.

What would my motive for lying be? Maybe I am a life long homeless person with a laptop and internet access

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

[into the subways and forests so the more privileged don't have the distress of seeing them]

From what I have read for the last few years they were run out of there too ..Which is the only reason why they only have the parks now to go to .
Abandoned buildings are all being torn down so they cant go there ...soup kitchens etc are all being shut down all over the country ....

IT sometimes seems like they want them all dead ...but you know what ..there will be plenty more behind them even if they did manage to all starve to death or freeze to death ..because you know what ...any one of us could be next in line to be in their shoes ....
We are all just about an 1/2 an inch away ourselves from losing everything we have.And ending up homeless like these people .

Not to mention alot of the homeless are VETS and Mental people who do not have anyone who gives a crap about them ..Someone needs to for sure at least go and get them off the street and help them out ...and the kids dont belong there either ...someone needs to do something to at least get them off the streets ....they are not all just people who choose to be homeless ...In fact I bet there are only a few who actually went there to live on the streets on purpose ..

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

reply to post by leo123

You obviously have had a tough day. So sorry if i offended you and by no means am I trying to spread lies. I love that you said all my posts are lies..im sure you have plenty of evidence to back that up.

Fact is there are tent citys popping up all over the place because hard working people are loosing their homes and I felt bad for the people in the video and figured I would share.

What would my motive for lying be? Maybe I am a life long homeless person with a laptop and internet access

Dock6:

You are quite correct about your USA and I feel for them in a MAJOR way - tent cities ARE a very real way of life in the US - , but as mentioned above bringthelight attempted to capitalize on your US woes and compare that to a situation in Victoria Canada in order to further her cause.

She has LIED outright - you have not.

Godspeed.

JK

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

It's not 'my' US ... I don't live in the US

So as you can see, this occurrence has already spread world-wide.

It would appear that you're angry. And doubtless you believe you have just cause for that anger.

There are people you regard as 'life long bums'. And doubtless also, you believe yourself to have just cause for labelling people as lifelong bums.

Why not provide some background as to your opinions ?

For example, why do you believe some people become what you term 'lifelong bums' ?

I'm sure you're aware that we're not all born equal.
Some are provided a stable home, education, support as they embark on a career and life.

Others are provided none of the above. They have no support, little or no education, few skills or opportunity to develop any, no network who might provide them employ.

But most of all, not everyone is born with confidence. So if someone is underprivileged in terms of childhood experience, home, friends, opportunity, support, etc. ... then it is often extremely difficult for them to find employment.

Many are forced to leave home (whatever 'home' may consist of in their case) at a very young age. They're like baby deer who wander into the lions' den. Their life remains very difficult. They don't know the ropes. They don't have anyone to help them. People shun them. People don't want to employ them. Despite their often heroic efforts, they're unable to find work so have no money for respectable accomodation and all that goes with that : no place to shower, no clean bed at night, no decent food or place to cook it, nowhere to wash or store their clothing and possessions, no neighbours to befriend or help them. They remain outcasts within society.

These are the people you refer to as 'douchebags' and 'lifelong bums'.
They're often those who've never had even half a fair deal.
They've been compelled to accept charity as far as the basics in life are concerned.
They get older and opportunities in all areas recede even more

The only friends and people who might understand them are often those in the same unfortunate situation.
Naturally, they form groups -- for friendship -- for a sense of 'belonging' -- for companionship --- to be with those who won't judge them as harshly as does the rest of the world .. etc.

You or I or anyone in this forum could .. had our circumstances been different .. be one of those you describe so callously.

'Drug addicts' you say. But aren't there drug addicts at the very highest levels of our society ? Haven't US presidents and senior politicians, movie stars, millionaires and their kids --- ALSO been accused of being drug addicts ?

But you apply that term to the homeless alone.

Is it drug addiction that you despise so much and have such little regard for ? Or is it only HOMELESS drug addicts for whom you have no pity ?

OR ... do you despise these people because they're HOMELESS ?

Does others poverty anger you ?

Why ? Have you ever examined why ?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok leo you got me there. I did mention the US unknowingly. I had just seen the video and put it up. Still doesn't change anything about what is actually going on. Do you really hate homeless people or something?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

You're right

and yours is a worthwhile post

Starred !

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
reply to post by leo123

It's not 'my' US ... I don't live in the US

Dock6:

I have read what you posted, but I remain. The situation here in Victoria Canada is in *NO WAY* comparable to the homeless crises in the US.

bringthelight is an outright LIAR and there ar multiple options here in Victoria for those who chose to take advantage of them. Sadly, many don't and remain homeless.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join