It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's protective 'bubble' is shrinking - NASA will launch mission to study

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrapop

Very interesting video. At the very least I would say there are some fragments of wisdom in there. I'm not sure I buy everything he talked about, but it got me thinking. Anything that can do that is worth my time to watch.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If your talking about the Heliosphere I think we're fine it's technically impossible for the heliosphere to deminish while the sun still has life.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Dunno, it seems to make some sense to me. It's not like the output of the Sun had changed drastically in the last Century or so has it? If the output hasn't changed much the Solar wind, which is probably better described at the Solar exhaust should have remained fairly constant too. For it to appear to weaken, there must be more force from outside acting upon it than previously.

Again, not my area of focus though.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Thanks for posting the passages from Revelations for us

However,

I think you jumped the gun a little bit

Well I hate to say I told you so, but...

I knew this would happen because it states this as a fact in the writings of the Bible. It states the sun will scorch men in the end days!

The Heliosphere is shrinking. As of now by 25 percent.

You are making the connection based on assumption that this implies the Sun will scorch us. You're speculating that the Heliosphere will shrink more, and that it will have devastating effects. Also, those passages do not mention anything resembling the Heliosphere shrinking.

So what exactly did you know would happen? What did you tell us before that has now been validated? And what exactly did The Bible state as fact concerning the Sun's heliosphere shrinking?

8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

So during the times of Tribulation the seven angels bring about God's final wrath to the people that accepted the mark of the beast. One of the angels does something to the Sun? And the Sun scorches the people on Earth with 'heat'.

Yes that can be interepreted as meaning the Sun scorches us with radiation. However that mentions nothing about the Heliosphere shrinking which is what this article was about.

So again you are making the logical connection between the Heliosphere shrinking and the Sun scorching everyone on Earth. That's entirely speculative.

Let's say you are correct and that's where this new development is heading. What about all the other parts of the Tribulation you listed? Should there not be signs for those others as well?...

20 And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.

...because a Sun scorching the Earth probably won't cause islands to fled away, and mountains to disappear by itself. It would need help from those angry angels

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Yes good point LL, but if you read ALL my posts you would see that it could possibly be due to something devastating happening like maybe say another planet or several entering our solar system. The sheer size of the rogue planets could blot out 1/3 of the light from the Sun and the Moon.

The gravitational pull of the new planet would cause upheaval in the crust on earth causing catastrophic earthquakes. The collision of say a smaller planet into one of our extra solar bodies like the moon would surely throw out large asteroids debris thus explaining the stars seeming to fall from heaven, and the heaven even "rolling up" like a scroll.

It explains it to a T, and I'm just using scientific what ifs to explain just how this devastation could come about.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm so not worry about this. Guys, we are so not alone that it's almost certain we will get help from extraterestrial allies if something goes very wrong.

My personal take on this is that something is tending towards an equilibrum inside our electric solar system. Maybe it's related to Planet X...
UFOs can blow up any dangerous asteroid coming close to Earth, so no worries on this side.
Biggest concerns are gamma rays affecting reproductary cells and DNA, but look, just build lead bunkers for this.

We were pretty lucky up to now cause the Earth is pretty stable thanks to water. But maybe we'll have to live more like exocivilisation, for instance: when a satellite near Pluto detects a gamma burst, it sends an alert to Earth and people goes to their personal lead bunker....or something like this.

Good thing if this helps global consciousness.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Hey I have no qualms with that

But you did say you told us so and that is was stated as fact in The Bible

So where in the Revelations do you interpret a large celestial body entering our solar system and causing that upheaval?

I really enjoy talking about and reading these ideas. I am just being strict because of the way you opened your thread

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desmond
I'm so not worry about this. Guys, we are so not alone that it's almost certain we will get help from extraterestrial allies if something goes very wrong.

My personal take on this is that something is tending towards an equilibrum inside our electric solar system. Maybe it's related to Planet X...
UFOs can blow up any dangerous asteroid coming close to Earth, so no worries on this side.
Biggest concerns are gamma rays affecting reproductary cells and DNA, but look, just build lead bunkers for this.

We were pretty lucky up to now cause the Earth is pretty stable thanks to water. But maybe we'll have to live more like exocivilisation, for instance: when a satellite near Pluto detects a gamma burst, it sends an alert to Earth and people goes to their personal lead bunker....or something like this.

Good thing if this helps global consciousness.

Trust me whilst that alert is going we are alredy dead

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I had posted several months back another thread stating I thought the Sun was getting hotter. What I meant in my limited vocabulary was the radiation from the sun was increasing. I was laughed to scorn over the post, because again, even though I felt the Suns radiation getting hotter on my exposed skin, I had to back it up with something. So I backed it up with the predicted writing in the Bible.

I believe everything that is stated will eventually happen. Now just how it happens is open to scientific interpretation, and being a self pronounced scientist myself, I am merely stating how it could easily be possible for the prophet to describe it to the best of his limited knowledge.

Watching the Heavens "roll up" like a scroll would be the collision of a planet I think throwing huge amounts of dust and particulate into the atmosphere...etc.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states

Originally posted by Desmond

Trust me whilst that alert is going we are alredy dead

I would like to be able to trust you. Any other thing you can shed some light on?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

I had posted several months back another thread stating I thought the Sun was getting hotter. What I meant in my limited vocabulary was the radiation from the sun was increasing. I was laughed to scorn over the post, because again, even though I felt the Suns radiation getting hotter on my exposed skin, I had to back it up with something. So I backed it up with the predicted writing in the Bible.

I believe everything that is stated will eventually happen. Now just how it happens is open to scientific interpretation, and being a self pronounced scientist myself, I am merely stating how it could easily be possible for the prophet to describe it to the best of his limited knowledge.

Watching the Heavens "roll up" like a scroll would be the collision of a planet I think throwing huge amounts of dust and particulate into the atmosphere...etc.

sorry but I just dont know how anybody can just believe what the bible says along with god that is based upon faith, we as the human race are entering into the unknown, no man or god knows for sure what will happen

[edit on 10/22/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
just read this about gamma ray bursts
www.abovetopsecret.com...
it may shed some light

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

[
sorry but I just don't know how anybody can just believe what the bible says along with god is based upon faith, we as the human race are entering into the unknown, no man or god knows for sure what will happen

Well let me ask you a hypothetical. Would you believe there is such a thing as an unseen force for good. If you couldn't see it you would require some kind of proof since you are an intelligent person right?

Now what if that formerly unseen force took form one day and came down in a space ship and got out and grabbed hold of you and took you to the moon. Would you believe then?

No drugs involved, and say you had no history of hallucinations or mental illness. Now what if that not only happened to you, but to another person standing nearby. Would you believe then?

That is what I'm trying to say, I have witnessed something so impossible become possible. And not me alone, but another person also witnessed the same thing.

So because of scientific evidence I believe and nothing will ever change that.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

Well I still think you are forcing a correlation out of those Biblical passages. BUT I was not aware of your earlier thread on the Suns increase in heat. So I understand where you were coming from and I give you credence to your earlier statement about 'telling us so'

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling that the number of UFO reports are increasing
because something catastrophic is about to happen to this planet? The
advanced civilizations know this because, well, they're advanced. They're
here to see us before the end. Hopefully, some of them are collecting
enough people, genes, etc., so that our species can continue on other
worlds.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

I am very interested in how you came to this conclusion. Yes, an adavanced civilisation that may have lived on earth may be or has been watching us for a very long time.
I think if the end is here as they seem to be saying, then the UFO's or advanced persons we speak of would have been watching us for a considerably longer time than we might like to think.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

Anonymous lurker here!

I love the ATS board, but this thread is the dumbest one I've ever read.

Many (but not all) of you need to do your own research and NOT believe every thing that anyone anywhere writes.

Wikipedia entry:
en.wikipedia.org...

Great audio interview with the principal investigator of the Ulysses solar wind observation program:
www.sciencefriday.com...

Think for yourself anyone?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeform

There are some things here that need to be addressed because people are getting confused.

1- The heliosphere is not exactly a "bubble".. But it does protect the solar system from cosmic radiation coming from interstellar space. How and why is not known.. There are a few theories. The rundown is this.. we have no idea how it works or why.. We only know that it does help sheild the solar system from cosmic radiation (although some cosmic radiation can still get through). Scientists talking about how it works really have no idea how it works in the first place...

2- The heliosphere is not exactly the SUN's "protective bubble". That is how it is being referred to in the media because alot of people simply don't know what the heliosphere is.. The heliosphere surrounds the entire solar system... NOT just the sun.. Hence, why this story is important to us here on earth. It surrounds all planets in our solar system. It is huge.

3- we have absolutely no idea what the immediate implications are for us here on earth because there are too many "unknowns". If we can better understand how the heliosphere really works, we might be able to better gauge what effects this degradation will have on the earth. Either way, if it collapses altogether, the entire solar system will be bombarded with all sorts of cosmic radiation (including us). That would be extremely bad..

4- Scientists have no idea how electromagnetic feilds really work. We do understand alot more than we did a hundred years ago.. But there are, again, so many unknowns that even if we figure out that this feild is a large electromagnetic feild created by all bodies in the solar system. We don't really even know how the earth's magnetic feild works.. There is little chance we will be able to understand how the solar systems' electromagnetic feild works (if that's what the heliosphere even is).

But it is interesting how last time this happened a couple hundred million years ago there was a mass extinction.

We know that there are also a few things going on that seem to correlate with the overall strength of the heliosphere. Whether or not they are related, who knows.. but this is what we do know..
The heliosphere seems to be degrading.
The earth's electromagnetic field, again, seems to be degrading (this has been confirmed).
The Sun has had VERY little activity (sunspots and solar storms) over the past couple months and noone really knows why.

Hopefully, this doesn't end up like that movie "Sunshine" where they end up having to build a massive nuclear device in order to kick-start solar activity again. Probably not, but it is always interesting how science fiction always has an element of truth.

-ChriS

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The bible was writen by man so there in is foulable. I think I'm going to go find a few bums that walk around the city all day and ask them to tell me if the sun is getting hotter, or if the heliosphere is shrinking and they'd probably tell me that they're still thristy so it must be getting hotter and after so many drinks anything shrinks. So in conclusion taking advice on scientific principles from a "story" is as good as asking a drunk hobo.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

no man or god knows for sure what will happen

Thats my cue to enter,

You are correct about no entity being able to know for sure,
However, I think you will find that there are some who see everything,
Every possible outcome for every single second that passes,
So it is logical that the definitive outcome is included

Anyway back onto the subject matter of this thread,
The sun is fine,
What you talk of is the result of increased solar storms which happens
on regular intervals, Unfortunately noone on earth was even capable of recording it the last time it happened eons ago,

Like i suggested earlier in this topic,
Study the patterns of your larger gaseous planetary bodies
And that shall reveal alot more information about how to understand your star

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join