It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heard an Interesting Theory Today

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
And reading this link there also appears to be oxygen present.

Link: www.planetary.org...

So since the temp varies between -180 at the poles and 400 degrees Celsius at the equator, there must be areas where the temp is around 21C which is just right for humans to live comfortably.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TallWhites
Water in Mercury's atmosphere, eh???!!!!
Thats interesting

Should it exist there since Mercury is supposed to be almost as hot as Venus???
According to wiki: en.wikipedia.org... it gets over 400o Celsius in some places, how come this water didnt evaporate into gases??

Mercury's atmosphere is ridiculously thin, on the order of trillionths of a percent of Earth's. Very, very small amounts of something that is probably (but not assuredly) water vapor were found. Water vapor, not water.

Though radar data has indicated the possibility of water ice in Mercury's polar regions, it hasn't been confirmed by other means. The water vapor could be from this ice (if it exists), cometary debris, or could even be actually created in the exoatmosphere by chemical processes.

Like zorgon said, we have found water in frozen and gaseous form just about everywhere we look. But to find it in on Mercury is a surprise.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

So since the temp varies between -180 at the poles and 400 degrees Celsius at the equator, there must be areas where the temp is around 21C which is just right for humans to live comfortably.

Oxygen yes, but at a trillionth of a percent of Earth's atmosphere, humans would have a very difficult time breathing. We might also have a problem with the high (relatively) levels of potassium and sodium.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Oxygen yes, but at a trillionth of a percent of Earth's atmosphere, humans would have a very difficult time breathing.

Well they completely got the water aspect wrong and by their own admission found it shocking. Wonder what else they got wrong?

"Nobody expected that. I don't know a single person that did. We were astonished, just astonished,"

They dont know much at all, only now are they beginning to prove their own guesswork was incorrect.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Oxygen yes, but at a trillionth of a percent of Earth's atmosphere, humans would have a very difficult time breathing.

Thats a good point

And looking at pics of Mercury I highly doubt any life exists, it looks too barren to me

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

And looking at pics of Mercury I highly doubt any life exists, it looks too barren to me

Yeah kinda looks like the moon

Sodium huh? Just like the Moon... maybe the skies on Mercury are saffron too

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver6ix

They dont know much at all, only now are they beginning to prove their own guesswork was incorrect.

And your point is?

This is exactly what science does. Creates hypotheses, tests them, then changes them as required when new data is presented. It's a never ending process.

Scientists will be the first to tell you how little we know about some things. Just because we don't know it all, doesn't mean we know nothing.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My point is simply science in the mainstream chooses what theory is worthy of study and which isnt and they are often wrong.

Science which dosnt agree with the official position is often neglected. I dont think there is life on any of the planets in this solar system, im not so sure whether that was always the case, and also im not so sure whether certain planets might be used as operational bases for anyone studying us.

Mainstream views have ben dangerously neglectful of a critical issue and its time that ended. Study of UFOs, disclosure and a genuine look at whats going on is critical and its high time the mainstream world grew up and dealt with it.

The issue isnt going to go away and as the formed UK Security Chief Lord Hill Norton said before his death, not to bring these matters into serious scientific and open study is wholly irresponsible. If the threats do turn aggressive, we need to know who we are dealing with and what they want.

The issue as always is that mainsteam views pick and choose, and dont often do us any favors.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Sodium huh? Just like the Moon... maybe the skies on Mercury are saffron too

I think you are confusing emission and absorption spectra.

The emission spectrum of sodium is in the yellow/orange range and this is the color you see when sodium atoms are excited by an electrical discharge.

The absorption spectrum of sodium matches its emission spectrum. White light passing through sodium vapor loses a very narrow band of yellow/orange. Sodium vapor is essentially colorless, transmitting all of the wavelengths except yellow/orange.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I think you are confusing emission and absorption spectra.

Hmmmm Okay so why is the sky on the moon saffron them

You know I just wrote an astronomer who explained why the sky is blue on Earth using Nitrogen, about the color of the sky on Mars based on its composition. He figures that due to it being mainly CO2 that the color of the sky on Mars should be black.

But we all know the Martian sky is light blue.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The color of the sky not caused by absorption, because like sodium, nitrogen (and most atmospheric gases) is colorless. The blue color is caused by the (Rayleigh) scattering of light by air molecules. This scattering occurs most strongly in the blue part of the spectrum and it doesn't really matter what the composition of the air is. There is more blue light bouncing around than the other colors so the sky appears blue. Dust and other particulates which are larger than air molecules scatter light in a different way. That is why in areas with poor air quality the sky does not look quite so blue.

On Mars the scattering also occurs but the atmosphere is thin and there is a lot of dust. If it weren't for the dust, Mars probably would have a dark blue sky, similar to Earth's at very high altitudes. Maybe it does on really clear days (if there are any).

If the sky on the moon shows any color at all it has more to do with dust being moved around by electrostatic effects than the composition of its effectively non-existent atmosphere. Who the hell says it's saffron?

*Leaves, humming: They call me mellow yellow (quite rightly)

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Also I have a hard time accepting the NASA explanation Jupiter is just a gas giant and nothing more, that just never sounded right to me

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Much as I disagree with your points in regards to this subject, I do respect you Zorgon. I just fail to see any evidence presented by you or your side that A) Proves the existence a higher species living on Venus or B) Proves a world wide conspiracy to hid the truth about Venus.

Even if they were to form a shield around Venus, the very act of making the shield would hold telltale signs of it's existence.

The Reason so many probes have been sent to Venus is that the greenhouse effect has gone wild there, we want to collect data to help us with our own climate forecasts. Also Venus is very much the twin of Earth in size, we would like to see why things have gone a very different course on Venus. With a proper atmosphere, Venus might have had a very good chance of developing life, as it stands it is pretty much the Hell of our Solar System.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TallWhites

Why not just make a base under the ocean? Unless Venus is like earth why?

Listen you can what if a doughnut all day but in the end it still has a huge hole in it.
What if... What if... WHat if you spent your time worrying about starving children instead of make beliveing about space

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Hmmm, so...

Theres absolutely no chance of any permanent alien presence on venus? I hadnt realized we had settled the argument that there wasnt a permanent presence here on earth before moving on to other planets. Did I miss a memo?

[edit on 26/10/2008 by Gaderel]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jb0311NY
reply to post by TallWhites

Why not just make a base under the ocean? Unless Venus is like earth why?

Listen you can what if a doughnut all day but in the end it still has a huge hole in it.
What if... What if... WHat if you spent your time worrying about starving children instead of make beliveing about space

I suggest you find a forum geared towards solving world hunger, this one's about UFO's and aliens in case you missed it

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
The Reason so many probes have been sent to Venus is that the greenhouse effect has gone wild there, we want to collect data to help us with our own climate forecasts.

True we have no proof that you and others would accept.

However promoting the 'greenhouse effect' as a cause for global warming is also propaganda....

Lake Vostok miles beneath the ice under Vostok base in Antarctica is a huge (lake Ontario size) fresh water lake that is kept warm by geothermal vents.

This lake has not seen the light of day for 420,000 years. They have been drilling raking core samples as they go.

When they got close they started finding organisms that no one had ever seen before... so wisely they stopped drilling. Imagine exposing 420,000 year old microbes to our environment?

Bad Idea

So NASA sent a probe... the same one they plan to use to go through the ice on Europa. This probe seals the path behind itself as it goes.

Now the point of this for THIS post is the ice core samples... they show a VERY accurate record of the global temperature over 400,000 years, like tree rings.

Here is the result of those core sample readings...

And while we are in a current warm spike... the actual overall temperature has been on the decline...

To verify one needs only look in History to the Medieval warm period that was followed by a sharp decline to the Mini Ice Age... the time when fireplaces were invented and tapestries and window panes were added to castles that didn't need them before

Also in this current heat spike... here is a 1000 year record of Solar temperature. You can see both the Medieval warming and the Mini Ice Age corresponding to solar temps.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jb0311NY

WHat if you spent your time worrying about starving children instead of make beliveing about space

What if our quasi industrial-military secret groups already have tehcnology that would have removed the problem of starving children and just prefer to keep the world dependant on Oil so they get rich.

Also how far will they go to keep those secrets and retain their power? A war with a superior race? I think this matter impacts ALL of our lives.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I do hope here in Toronto we get a nice spike like in 1100BC

[edit on 26-10-2008 by TallWhites]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
well i suppose they convinced every single measuring device in the world to lie to us....as well as every single physics 'law'...ya that sounds plausible.

yet another wasted post...can we PLEASE discuss things that have actual merit? instead of tossing around dime store sci-fi topics? every single post on this site is subjective and based on personal opinion.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join