It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Withdraws Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
External Source (BBC)

Sony has postponed the global release of a much-anticipated video game due to concerns that it may offend Muslims.
Copies of LittleBigPlanet are being recalled from shops worldwide after it emerged that a background music track contained two phrases from the Koran.
Sony issued an apology for any offence that its use of the backing track might have caused.

Read link for full story.

Interesting response considering...

In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.

Is this "respect for" or "fear of"?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

Outcries like this have been going on since entertainment began... it'd not even be news if this was a religion we were familiar with.

The double standard is I guess it's just par for the course when the usual parties open their mouths, but once it's a different religion everyone gets up in arms

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I saw a post about this but I'm too lazy to find it. Just thought id give a heads up.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
All of the tolerance we are expected to have.
How about our feelings to not have to listen to this crap.
How about pride in our own system of beliefs. They burn us in effigy in other places. They mock our god and saviors. They laugh at our misfortune. They play by no rules.
We are forced through sanctions to play by all the rules.
We are forced to tolerate intolerance of ourselves. Gimme a break?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
All of the tolerance we are expected to have.
How about our feelings to not have to listen to this crap.
How about pride in our own system of beliefs. They burn us in effigy in other places. They mock our god and saviors. They laugh at our misfortune. They play by no rules.
We are forced through sanctions to play by all the rules.
We are forced to tolerate intolerance of ourselves. Gimme a break?

And dont forget that in the midst of all of that you listed, the 3 major religions of the world are all spawned from the same core religious belief system. It is just laughable how it has been proven that Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all just major secular extensions of the same original religious indoctrination. The only difference in these religions now is based on the parts of the original cannon that they take their faith from due to the horrific translations done thousands of years ago.

To offend the God of one religion is to offend the God of all three religions. To say otherwise is ignorance of ones own religious history.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You know, I'm really getting tired of all this religious tripe, no matter what religion it is! It's not polite to talk about it, have problems with it, disagree with it, etc. etc. etc. If you do you are called a Heathen or an Aetheist! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! I happen to be a Wiccan, but you won't hear me griping about all the Hag Witches that are just about everywhere now as it is almost Halloween! I would also add that this is one of our major Holy Days when we give reverence and respect to those who have passed beyond the veil, yet it has been turned into a completely insulting candy fest and a reason for adults to get drunk and wear silly costumes. I don't see anyone worried about offending us, and we have a thick enough skin to allow others to do as they please! Since it seems perfectly OK to tromp all over my spiritual beliefs, I'm going to go draw a picture of Mohammed (forbidden) having gay sex with Jesus (blasphemy) with Moses watching while eating a BLT (Not Kosher)! There, did I leave anyone out???

The Winner of the 'Get Over Yourself!' award goes to.... RELIGIOUS WHINERS!!!

P.S. It may have seemed like I was griping about the customs of modern Halloween, but it was just to illustrate my point. I don't have any problems with how others observe this date. Religious pandering just really ticks me off, and that is exactly what Sony is doing here!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
They could have just released a mandatory patch or something, and said it was for 'increased graphical performance' . = /
Noone would have known any better.

Anyway, I think that's stupid and people are too easily offended.
I can hardly be bothered typing that because it's so blatantly obvious.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
pfft Sony are probably scared of getting their HQ blown up or something. if fanatics will go mental over a Dane publishing a cartoon that hardly anyone actually saw, imagine what they would do if a game offended them and was published millions of times.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by T0by

I'm sure their fear was that a sufficient number of people who would be offended may buy the game and not have their console attached to the internet in order for it to be auto-patched.

You can be sure of one thing though..it is going to cost them money.

Although, any publicilty is good publicity in the gaming industry (as long as that publicity isn't reviews saying the game is sh*t)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asnivor
reply to post by T0by

I'm sure their fear was that a sufficient number of people who would be offended may buy the game and not have their console attached to the internet in order for it to be auto-patched.

You can be sure of one thing though..it is going to cost them money.

Although, any publicilty is good publicity in the gaming industry (as long as that publicity isn't reviews saying the game is sh*t)

ah yeah this was a console game wasn't it? Hard to fix.
So words from the Koran can't be mixed with music huh.... interesting.
I can understand their situation but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous = )

The game will do well regardless anyway, I can't wait to see what it's like. Seems similar to Spore somehow.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by T0by]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think its so funny after all this time for one reason or another video games get so much attention from Australia outright banning games to politicians using them as the catalyst for criminal behavior. How many Muslim fundamentalists have PS3's anyway?

I dont know much Arabic but what I do know about reading and writing it it is a very musical language anyway. The alphabet works more like musical notation than typical letters with assigned sounds.

Given the amount of hype and demand this game had going for it and the insane cost of pulling them all off shelves and writing and publishing a different version I believe there has to be some other reason for the recall besides this trivial crap.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's because here in Australia, just like America, the politicians are idiots.
The only difference is that they're not evil idiots here. They're just idiots.

top topics

join