It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolutionary paper is stronger than steel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Revolutionary paper is stronger than steel

www.cnn.com

Buckypaper is 10 times lighter but potentially 500 times stronger than steel when sheets of it are stacked and pressed together to form a composite. Unlike conventional composite materials, though, it conducts electricity like copper or silicon and disperses heat like steel or brass.

"All those things are what a lot of people in nanotechnology have been working toward as sort of Holy Grails," said Wade Adams, a scientist at Rice University.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
They are calling this a "holy grail discovery" for obvious reasons.

Easy to see applications in aircraft, spacecraft and automobiles. What about bullet-proof vests or clothing?

And, to me, the real "holy grail" application might be the material required to finally make the space elevator cable.

I'd like to get your thoughts and ideas for other applications.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Good find, but you were beaten to the punch by the thread here.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Didn't come up when I searched - no doubt because the earlier thread violated the T&C rules requiring the use of the actual headline of an article when posting to Breaking Alternative News.

[edit on 10/20/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
When fashioned into a hat, I wonder how effective the material would be in reducing the effects of alien interference, mind control, and electromagnetic field harassment.

top topics

join