It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New solar cell material achieves almost 100% efficiency, could solve world-wide energy problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What is the major hang up with Hydrogen energy?
answer: It uses too much electricity for the electolysys process so it's not efficent.

Solution: Use electricity from solar power to do the electrolysys.
This is already being done but with a few smart people it could be developed to be used as an "in process" kind of device. Your car has a hydrogen maker in the trunk operated by the solar panels on the roof. Now you can fill the reserve tank with water and drive on down the road. Oh, but I forgot, it will never work. Sorry.

nevermind the solution, lets lament about the problem some more.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Bet they never make it to market. The energy corporations will buyout or kill anything and anybody to do with free energy.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
The biggest obstacle course is the oil giants. They'll never let this material hit the market, they'll buy out anyone who tries to push it. This is an excellent find, but it'll never happen.

This is a multi-billion dollar threatened business, they won't/don't stop at just buying up, but also cause people to have involuntary suicides, like Vince Foster, or suddenly get ultra rich from some forgotten relative who died and left it all to them. The oil companies just get lucky!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thin Film solar panels are progressing at a rate consistant to moores law. Discoveries like this don't surprise me in the slightest. I expected this. I predict that this won't come out till the end of next decade. They got to milk as much profit from it as possible right? Remember the Hi-Tech boom of the 90s? That's whats gonna happen in the next 10 years with printable electronics. The Ubiquitous computing revolution will drive the Solar Power revolution and all the fatcats in power will stil make tons of money.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Modulus

I recently read, probably in Popular Mechanics, that some kid came up with a new solar setup that converts visible, and INvisible light. MUCH more efficient. There is a lot happening in these fields, and America can not suppress it all. Someone like China, who needs to stop polluting, will ultimately make it feasable. However, from these threads, it appears that the owners of the Chinese are also Republican/Democrat elite, and they control both countries. Will we ever know the truth?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The new bit of discovery here is that this technology can generate energy from the infrared(cloudy) as well as the ultraviolet light(sunny) spectrum as well as higher current which is the fundamental problem with solar energy.
The problem being that the current typically generated by solar panels has typically had a difficult time flowing into a battery due to the batteries resistance vs the amount of current flowing from the solar panel.
By generating more current the panels can in turn store much more energy than in the past using the old technology.
From an electrical perspective , This is a MAJOR breakthrough I might add.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So the humane thing to do is to put all knowledge of this online, that would piss those oil-morons off.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Here here.

Couldn't agree more mate, whether this applies to mass producing solar cells, wind turbines, underground bunkers/cities (for ALL of the public) if the sun starts ejecting massive solar flares, tsunamies, asteroid etc etc.

If everyone who is physically able, worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, and received a kind of state benefit for doing it, we could probably build a dyson sphere in around 20 years or so, let alone a series of underground shelter / cities (A few years at most, to build enough to hold everyone and their supplies and equipment in my estimation)

In fact, the world's population has probably done something similar in our distant past already (see google earth for two mile wide undersea tunnels that go litterally around our planet, continent to continent) before some calamity/doomsday senario wiped them (us) all out before. (and before that too, probably)

If anyone's interested, there are huge undersea tunnels (or whatever they are) which are roughly TWO MILES wide!

Here are the co-ords for you.

Latt 36.070672° Long -45.352877°.

These co-ords will bring you right on top of one of the tunnels, zoom in/out to about 40 miles, and you will see it plainly, going east-west. There are more, if you want the co-ords, let me know.

BTW, there are at least three of these things, one (or more) that circles the northern hemisphere, and it's opposite 'twin' in the south, there's also at least one that runs through north to south. You can actually see where the tunnels (IF that's what they in fact are!) hug undersea cliffs and mountain ranges, but also in a few places where they go trough the mountains, and other places wher they are silted up with miles of seabed crud. (They go right through a range of mountains that look very much like a terminus complex or junction, complete with huge buildings and pyramid like structures, before continuing on RIGHT THROUGH the 'bermuda triangle' and the Carribean. They either stop at landfall, or continue on underneath the landmass, no way to really tell) One fits neatly between the strait of gibraltar a.k.a. The pillars of hercules, as written by Plato when pointing the way to Atlantis. Bermuda triangle, Huge undersea tunnels, Huge adjoining buildings, Vicinity of Atlantis...Anyone think there may be a connection here?

Spikey.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Researchers at Ohio State University I repeat... Researchers at Ohio State University

this is not some garage invention people where the "inventor" can get "knocked off" by the evil corporate asasins...

It will not get "gobbled up" by some Big Oil boogey man.
If it is real, feasable and doable, it will be done. The research is already out there.

If a breakthrough in anything happens, where would you rather it happen.. in some guys garage, at Darpa or a educational intitution like OSU ?

I think you know the answer...

So stop with all the doom talk ok?
This is a POSTIVE thing, for once can't you people be pleased by something for just one frigin day?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by spacebagel

You are part of the group that thinks there are no conspiracys, just paranoid people. And in some cases you are right. But if anyone could come up with the proof to satisfy you at this moment, they could also go public with this proof and gain a great deal of support from the sheeple. So no, there will be no proof. But this one article for instance, perhaps you could file it away in your memory banks and ask next year "what ever happend to that solar panel stuff?". While I am quite sure someone will tell you that is was just Junk science and go back to your cubicle. The us government has technology far greater than that which is used or even understood by the general public. I would venture to guess that many other governments do as well.
So all I am asking you to do is to remember this one thing untill next year and see if just maybe there might be a little something to all these conspiracy wackos.

I also think it's a valid point to mention that we're talking about corporate profitability here. If big oil feels threatened by a certain technological advancement (solar in this case), it would be naive to think that they wouldn't do whatever is necessary to remove the threat. In these cases, you just can't look at things under the same magnifying glass used to view conspiracy theories.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

While I am quite sure someone will tell you that is was just Junk science and go back to your cubicle.

Huh... Obviously you didn't read well through my post. I MEANT all the conspiracists are making junk science from Tesla's failures. Read again. Thank you.

But this one article for instance, perhaps you could file it away in your memory banks and ask next year "what ever happend to that solar panel stuff?".

So all I am asking you to do is to remember this one thing untill next year and see if just maybe there might be a little something to all these conspiracy wackos.

What???.... Why next year?

Didn't you READ the article?

Dear lord, man. It's even written in bold letters.

Commercial products are still years away, but this foundational work may well pave the way for a truly renewable form of clean, global energy.

The solar cell hasn't been physically made yet. It's not been tested. Geez

They only managed to made a few molecules of those stuff. And that's just for the material. 1 year? Seriously dude. Reading would make wonders for the brain.

The materials these researchers have created is not ready for prime time. Only a few molecules were created through a joint effort of the Ohio State University team and a team of chemists from the National Taiwan University.

Obviously those who think that it would only take 1 year from computer model to even prototype stages on such a new revolutionary technology are ignorant to the time and hurdles involved in developing new technology.

Let alone the problem solving needed in developing new manufacturing processes and problems that WILL be encountered in the initial stages from developing to commercial product.

This is not junk science!

[edit on 21-10-2008 by spacebagel]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Sounds great to me, but I want it now!

The next time a politician knocks my door and asks what I'd like to see, I'll demand that every house in the UK has it's roof replaced with tiles made of super efficient solar panels. If they do indeed look like some sort of 'black hole, void' then I'll get my windows done too and have the brickwork done in chrome!

Seriously, though. The energy companies will soil themselves unless they can get the right to manufacture them or get in on the act too!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
heres a little bit of info for u to chew over house holds in 3rd world countrys are up to 80% more effecient than the west .why do you think that is . answers on a postcard to turn the bloody lights off

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It is funny because just the other day I was fantasizing about being able to build high-output geothermal stations. Part of this fantasy is to be able to harness a lot of 'free' energy and then to provide it to households for 10% less than their current average utility bill. Then use that profit to further the technology and maintain the infrastructure. After only about 3 to 5 years, you would be able to drop the cost per household all the way down to enough to cover the maintenance costs and people would be lighting up and heating their homes for a mere fraction of what they pay today for electric alone.

Imagine that... almost free energy. Imagine what would happen if electric cars were parked in every garage charging off of this abundant, clean energy. Imagine all homes in the cold climates were warm, and all homes in the warm climates were cool. Imagine manufacturing plants being able to run machinery for less than pennies. Imagine research labs being able to power state of the art machines to discover more and more about our universe.

I honestly think we are living *right now* at the brink of a new revolution. Sure, socio-economic and political revolutions will be necessary in order for this change, but the revolution we are entering into is one which we may consider the refinement of the industrial revolution.

Industrial revolution gave us machinery and industry. Look at what the ensuing 2 centuries have been like! Now we will have highly efficient and practically free energy - the future is literally bright.

This is all possible within our lifetimes, but we must be smart and not greedy. We have to think about the greater good more now than ever before. Despite so much potential doom and gloom, I am very hopeful because I know this change is imminent.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Yes, its good. May I just point out that it would be niece to acknowledge that technologies exist to have zero energy houses without thermal energy. Passive design works in harsh climate as well - it is a matter of engineering calculations.

The technology to have no utility bills is available in the market - its a cork in our/your heads that needs to be pulled out to let that champagne flow

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If you really think this stuff will make it to the patent office or to helping any of us ask about Dr. Tesla.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
For some may be a bit hard to swallow, because of some Dutch intermezzo's, but much of it is in English. A contribution to the discussion, 100% topic link.

Documentary by the VPRO (Tegenlicht). The VPRO is one of the Netherlands publically funded broadcasters. The documentary I saw yesterday, now it's free accessible.

I would say: Great Insights.

Here comes the Sun!

www.vpro.nl...

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Spinoza73]

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Spinoza73]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
reply to post by die_another_day

Researchers at Ohio State University I repeat... Researchers at Ohio State University

this is not some garage invention people where the "inventor" can get "knocked off" by the evil corporate asasins...

It will not get "gobbled up" by some Big Oil boogey man.
If it is real, feasable and doable, it will be done. The research is already out there.

For the very simple reason that supplies are now diminishing and they have to get their cas elsewhere. Before they wanted to protect their industries, so did their own 'research' as well as suppress the odd patent, but in a fair day's work that was how to protect their industry. Now, they need to 'diversify.' Good luck to them.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i had to stop reading replies as mentally im just soo tired of all the negativity but a quick comment

things dont have to be the corrupt way they are

everyones talking about how this is going to get buried under the rug and its going to disappear and never be heard from again

well why??!?!

ill tell you why

because instead of people learning and pursuing they just say oh well something greats been found out but now the powers that be are going to destroy it all and oppress us

well if we weren't all little pussies it wouldn't be swept under the rug, if people pass on the info, if people try to duplicate the technology, if WE THE PEOPLE do whats necessary then it doesn't have to disappear, WE THE PEOPLE can develop this technology on our own

we just need to work together instead of being so selfish and negative

i used to love this site

i used to think this site offered hope, but as ive been on this site for months and months now im just disappointed, i used to think this site offered possibilities and potential for the good in our society to shine thru

but now i just realize at least half the ppl here are probably only here to bitch, moan, complain, and be pessimistic, rather then taking this INCREDIBLE resource that is at our fingertips and using it to our advantage, we just constantly bicker and argue rather then work together

as sad as it is, its almost like humanity deserves the pain we are seeing due to the incredibly high level of ignorance in our society

its like its darwins theory being proven, survival of the fittest, and we're some dumb fat unfit idiots.

i wonder if darwin ever figured out a time frame on how long it takes the dumb ones to die

hopefully those of us smarter can outlast the morons

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Dramey]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If this product will actually do what it claims I would expect it to disappear also.

If you don't think the elitists can do just that look at past history- Henry Ford originally ran his model t's on alcohol which interfered with Standard Oil(Rockefeller). Rockefeller donated hugh sums to temperance leagues which soon shut down alcohol sales. Ford had no choice but to use gasoline after that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join