Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

New solar cell material achieves almost 100% efficiency, could solve world-wide energy problems

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+71 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

New solar cell material achieves almost 100% efficiency, could solve world-wide energy problems

www.tgdaily.com

Columbus (OH) - Researchers at Ohio State University have accidentally discovered a new solar cell material capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy. The material is comprised of a hybrid of plastics, molybdenum and titanium. The team discovered it not only fluoresces (as most solar cells do), but also phosphoresces. Electrons in a phosphorescent state remain at a place where they can be "siphoned off" as electricity over 7 million times longer than those generated in a fluorescent state. This combination of materials also utilizes the entire visible spectrum of light energy, translating into a theoretical potential of almost 100% efficiency. Commercial products are still years away, but this foundational work may well pave the way for a truly renewable form of clean, global energy.

A complete study of the team's work appears in the current issue of "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" (PNAS).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow, I've been waiting for this for such a long time. This is a dream come true. If we can spread this technology for cheap so that everyone can use it, then we can finally stop wasting fuel and money.

But there are always some obstacles to something so great such as this. First is obviously cost, and I'm pretty sure that this new technology won't be cheap so that everyone can buy it, but I guess a public solar power plant is fine. Second is greedy corporations who will try to block this technology to maximize their monopoly of the market. Finally, ... no finally, these are the major problems.

Sunlight that comes to Earth has provides more energy than thousands of hydrogen bombs each day. If we can harness this energy, such as with this new solar panel, then world energy crisis would be solved.

We can expand this to automobiles, houses, public works, skyscrapers, the LHC, and many other power consuming factors.

Solar energy to electricity is the most efficient way to generate electricity in general.

Other forms of power requires you to go from:

Plants absorb light (3% efficient at most), plant decomposes, millions of years you get fuel, extract fuel, burn fuel, boil water, push turbine, store energy, send energy, and appliances are less than 75% efficient.

Through all of these steps, so much power caused by friction and other resisting forces will be lost.

Solar power is simply:

Sunlight to panels which is greatly more efficient than burning fuel or even hydroelectricity.

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

This is awesome, but the patent will most likely be bought out by the oil corps. and we'll never hear of it again.

But at least the far future will be bright.

Remember when selfless Americans would work in a plane factory so that we could win the war, and Americans would give up 10 hours a day to build tanks. Why don't we have that in us right now to work on factories and in factories to get this stuff mass produced? I guess the war machines used in killing people are more important than ending world poverty.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Now we just need it to get effecient in the price category.

I remember a show on Discovery Channel. They said that our Solar capabilities doubles nearly every year.

So, it is just a matter of time, when this will be a cheap, viable efficient alternative.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

The material is comprised of a hybrid of plastics, molybdenum and titanium.

How feasible would it be for the backyard scientist to construct it himself?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
wow this is great indeed.

I knew it would be possible, it's nice that science proves me right.

I hope they find some good investors to develop this further in fast forward and that it won't become just another patent bought out and locked inside the vaults of an oil company...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Interesting but as imprtant as 100% efficiency is it's even more important for the material to have a high potential output per unit area. A 100% efficient cell that has to be a square acre to produce usable power isn't very practical. But here's hoping. And here's hoping that the new administration will fund these kinds of projects going forward.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

You'll probably never hear another thing about it. Look at what happened to Dr. Chung's negative resistor. Suddenly it's not available for study or licensing by others. And how about the DOE confiscating the patent on a recently developed assymetrical magnet? Imagine what you could do with that!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Didn't the Japanese come out with a solar panel that was as thick as a piece of paper and very low cost?

I heard about it somewhere, then it vanished off the face of the earth.

I think it was something like panels that could essentially be printed like paper? I heard it had low efficiency, but combining the two technologies could lower costs.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have to call b.s. where it says "capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy".

If that was a true fact, and the material was capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy, that would mean it would look like a dark black void to the human eyes, which I doubt would be possible to do with plastic and titanium and molybdenum. I am sure it reflects a small percentage of visible light, and does not absorb 100% of the visible light.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Two words:

molybdenum and titanium

Watch the commodities market closely when these things get "discovered" but we won't see it in use for many years.....

I hate to be cynical about what sounds like a great material. But we've been burned before.

For example: How long has the United States Automotive Industry had the technology to make electric cars? Google it.

Edit to add:

Lucid Lunacy,

The materials are deposited via a process unlikely to be achievable outside an engineering lab. This is "real" breaking news. Pray they don't bury it.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
I have to call b.s. where it says "capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy".

If that was a true fact, and the material was capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy, that would mean it would look like a dark black void to the human eyes

The product also reflects light, it doesn't simply gobble up light and eat it and leave a void. It's still there as a machine and a material product, you can see it, and the light is in constant supply, a gradation of energy. I don't think they created a miniature black hole.

P.s. I don't want to change the words of the article, but it would appear the word "absorb" is better understood as "convert". It is able to convert all of the sun's visible light into usable mechanical or otherwise, energy.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE

If that was a true fact, and the material was capable of absorbing all of the sun's visible light energy, that would mean it would look like a dark black void to the human eyes, which I doubt would be possible to do with plastic and titanium and molybdenum. I am sure it reflects a small percentage of visible light, and does not absorb 100% of the visible light.

Perhaps absorb was the wrong word in describing the technology. It depends on the concept and how it works. The only person who would know is the creator of the technology.

If the concept absorbs 100% of the light, then you are correct. If it was an incorrect description of the tech involved, then it could utilize the energy before being reflected out of the system similar to wind or hydroelectric generation.

Just a thought outside of the box.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.

I would use this to free myself from the electric grid in a heartbeat, so I hope it doesn't get buried as some of you have said.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Two things can happen here:

1) This is legitimate, and the powers that be will use their global mafioso influence to kill it.

2) This is hyped crap, used as a smokescreen to hide the real breakthroughs and keep people focused on some vapourware that supposedly is better, delaying the implementation of the actual real technology for years and years.

Either way the sad reality is if we want the good stuff we may have to search, study and fight for it ourselves, as the world is run by pigs who want it only for themselves.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
IN THE NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN FILEwww.tgdaily.com...

These are things that get trotted out..and swallowed up and are never ever to be heard from again. You can bet your bottom dollar this technology will be stifled and bottled up at every turn.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Aliens probably figured this out a long time ago.
Somebody tell SunPower to start making these new solar panels.
Now!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

These people have doctorates or at least masters degrees. They must have published some of their work. If they have published their research and results in a reputable science journal that may provide enough information so others can reproduce their results.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sounds like a big stinking pile of cow dung.

Remember cold fusion? That one was taken out back and shot.

I can almost bet that this one will be also. Buried and never seen again... just like hoffa.

I'll cross my fingers. but i won't loose any sleep over it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
PLEASE STAR AND FLAG THIS THREAD

Think of the amount of money you can save if you didn't have to pay a "light" bill.

The power of the sun is almost a near atmospheric constant which is always available to every person on the planet.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by drsmooth23]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join