It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Hurting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I would like to discuss how all the members here are doing in the world financial crisis. I must say that I guess I am lucky. I am a bartender on a Navy base at the Chiefs Club as well as bartending for private parties booked through our club. Of course I don't have any credit card debt or a morgage to pay. All products I buy are higher in price, but I seem to get by fine. Could Credit card debt be the biggest culprit for our problems? Lets discuss it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
No one wants to talk?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Nope, I'm debt free and I just got a huge raise this week. I do feel and know many people who are hurting, and it sucks. I hope we can get a honest money system out of this, but so far it's heading in the opposite direction.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Your just peering into a small part of it, but yes it does have a large part to play. Are you bombarded on a daily/weekly basis by crdit card companies the form of junk mail, When you go to the supermarket, pop ups on the internet, but worst of all i think are the banks themselves. EVERY single time i have go into my bank this year to pay a bill or make a deposit/transaction i have been offered credit cards, loans,a current a card that they charge you for whether you have money in the bank or not but is a 'perks' acoount which offers travel insurance,airmiles or a higher rate of interest, ect,ect. They dont take NO for an anwer and go onto explain the benefits - yes because they have sales figures to meet!

Why cant i just go in, pay a bill, go! Banks are crap, they should stay at what they were good at and just looked after and lent money, at an affordable rate. Instead, they have there fingers in so many pies its stupid as with Supermarkets ect. Its a serious lack of control, At the end of the day a bank is a business. If a business go under, its assets are that of the official receiver and monies made from the sale of the assets first pays the fees of the receiver and the remainder divided umongst the claimants which in most cases is not much. I do not know if this would apply to the banks in the same way, the government owning the banks. I am sure that all these banks who took out there insurance went sale crazy in the months leading up to them going bankcrupt. How many received pamplets telling youu about news rules that apply to your credit cards?? Did you bother to read them? I think they knew they were going under, and they wanted to sell as much as possible before they went bankcrupt, if so then the final claim amount would be higher? I dont have any evidence for this, this is my own opinion and thoughts based on logic and people in general.
I dont know what the rules ares on the banks takeovers, doe this mean we will have a say in how the banking system is run, will they allow us to voice our thoughts on matters that may have adirect impact on the public?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I just ended a temporary job working at a plant that makes and bottles sauces. I have been looking feverishly for another job but to no avail.
I have experience in everything from computer consulting, repair and installation to T.V./Video production to assistant manager of a hardware store, the list goes on and on.

I have noticed that the local help wanted ads where I live are drying up, you can open them everyday to see tumbleweed blowing across the page.
I'v tried employment agencies, applying in person and online, and it seems that every employer in my area is "getting by" with the staff that they have and are not hiring anyone new.

I can't say that I blame them, I don't think that if I were in their position I would be hiring new employees during what could become possibly the worst financial crisis in history either.

I am not the only one, two of my friends (who also have a wide range of experience, no criminal record etc) can not find work right now.
Luckily I have a little money saved, and a wonderful family who are helping me through this, but times ARE tough right now.
Even family members who are pretty well-off financially have slowed down their spending and are "tightening their belts" so to speak.

My state (Maine) has one of the highest tax burdens in the country.
People in California may pay higher taxes but the average pay rate is higher, and there is a higher population paying those taxes.
For our population, and the size of government we support, we are being crushed financially.
Maine People's Tax Burden Now The Highest Ever
In a state where people are going into debt, taking out loans to buy heating fuel to get through the winter, our representatives are funding multi-million dollar programs to study duck feces.

I think I can speak for the majority of my state when I say that most of us are financially hurting right now, with no light at the end of the tunnel to be seen.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hi PammyK. how is Va. Beach these days? I moved there in 1966 at the young age of 19. I have many good memories of my time spent there. I'm sure it has changed a lot since I left.

No, I am not hurting. I've been planning for just these circumstances for many years.

It's good to hear you are doing well also.

My heart goes out to those less fortunate than we are. I'm watching for opportunities to help those in need.

May God bless and keep you safe through hard times.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am not hurting. My friends and I are well off.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Soulstone]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
No, we're not hurting. We were hurting 13 years ago. Since then, we've moved to a teensy little island where we all share our food. It's a place where some people strive for a concept of "Americanization" -- the flashy toys, cars, etc. Most of us make a living and are pretty self-sufficient. When I have breadfruit on, we trade them for fish. We grow a lot of stuff. When the grid goes down, I will miss the internet, sports, mushrooms and air conditioning. Oh, and asparagus and Heniken, new music.

I worry about the world, wishing we could do more than send our measley little bits of dollars in response to natural disasters that occur. We never have a sense that it makes a difference. Who can tell. Nobody deserves to starve. Sad to me that that will be common denominator to unite the world. Still, I have a lot of hope, and I don't think prayer hurts anything.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

Yes, family is important now. VERY important! My grandma always told me "when I die and your mom moves into the house make sure she NEVER sells it, no matter what!" She said she lived through the depression and there should always be somewhere (paid for) that the family could come and live during the next one. She was a very wise woman. Lived to be 84. She still drove and everything till she had an accidental fall. I am going to be able to send my mom some money this month to help her out.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I have lived here this "go round" for about 18mos. Lived here before from 1991-1995. It has sure grown and changed in that time period. The beach is still beautiful and the Jet Noise loud as ever! Ha! I never get tired of seeing the Jets from the Oceana Naval Air Station fly over training, it's awsome! I live in the Malibu Neighborhood that was built up in the late '60s and it is very safe and wonderful to live in. And to get back to the thread, we have to help each other like never before! That is how we always get by!

new topics

top topics

join