It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preparing...help me fill in the blanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have been reading through so many threads, trying to piece together so many points and trying to create a game plan in case the worst happens.
The global meltdown and survival forums tend towards things getting much worse before they get any better. In that spirit, I have let a measure of paranoia seep in and have started planning for "just in case". Naturally, this all comes in handy for anything from global meltdown to another tornado or hurricane strike that puts us out of power for a few days. Right now, I think I am closer to being ready for the latter, than the former.

Here is what I have so far (work in progress plan):

Every week, I buy extra canned goods and stock them on a shelf. These are not for daily consumption, as they are in excess to my normal shopping. The extras are a variety of vegetable, sauce and soup canned goods that can sit on a shelf for a long time.
I have just started buying extra batteries, at about 2 packs a month.
I have storage bags and various wraps to help with storage and preservation.
I am adding some extra sugar, rice, dry noodles, flour, meal, and dried beans as well. I have a variety of dry and liquid seasonings, which I always have made a habit of, so that remains a common stock item.
I keep extra cartons of tea bags, since that is one of my comfort drinks, as well as powdered sport mix.
I am trying to plan for my dogs as well, keeping more than a bag of kibble on hand, when I would normal purchase as needed. Since they are omni, I am less worried about them, since they can always share my vegetables and meat scraps.
My family owns a large tract of land out of the mainstream large city areas, which means there is a measure of safety going there. However, I dont want to freak any of them out by suggesting we start some sort of survival prep house there. Right now, I am remembering some of the run down shacks that inhabit the landscape and various hunting structures. The land is rich in wild game, a couple of stocked ponds, was once used for cattle and crops, like soy beans and cotton. Currently, it is used for planted pines, insuring the richness of the soil for long term planting. This means that there is an abundance of timber to both build with and hide within. The land is also lush in wild berries.
I grew up on this land, so I know it pretty well on a drive or trek and my brother hunts it every year, so he knows where all of the hot spots are.

I have not even begun to save for any sort of power supply and have less than a gallon of gas on my property (for the lawn mower).
I have several routes to get to the property, but there is no telling how bad any of them would be, since they all pass through mainstream traffic areas.

Can anyone help me fill in any gaps or give any advice on how I can improve my current and future state? I would certainly appreciate it. Even links to other threads would be helpful. As I said, there is so much information, I find myself getting lost in the maze trying to get the points that I need to reflect my own situation.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

Here is what I have so far (work in progress plan):

Every week, I buy extra canned goods and stock them on a shelf. These are not for daily consumption, as they are in excess to my normal shopping. The extras are a variety of vegetable, sauce and soup canned goods that can sit on a shelf for a long time.
I have just started buying extra batteries, at about 2 packs a month.
I have storage bags and various wraps to help with storage and preservation.
I am adding some extra sugar, rice, dry noodles, flour, meal, and dried beans as well. I have a variety of dry and liquid seasonings, which I always have made a habit of, so that remains a common stock item.
I keep extra cartons of tea bags, since that is one of my comfort drinks, as well as powdered sport mix.
Can anyone help me fill in any gaps or give any advice on how I can improve my current and future state? I would certainly appreciate it. Even links to other threads would be helpful. As I said, there is so much information, I find myself getting lost in the maze trying to get the points that I need to reflect my own situation.

To get any benefit from your wise first steps you need to rotate your food stuffs and other perishables from your stockpile through your household needs. Basically what you need to be doing is getting your normal shopping supplies from your survival cach, then replacing the stuff in the cach with fresh goods from the shops. That way you dont waste any foods because they pas their sell by dates, and your stockpile is always filled with the freshed stuff.

Always write on the tins with a marker pen as to what the contents are, because lables can fall off in storage.

Always lay the tins on their sides not on their ends, preferable on a shelf with both a slight slope from the back to the front, plus a little ledge to stop the tins rolling off. You always put the newest stock bought at the back, and take stuff to cook with from the front. When done right as you take tins from the front of the shelf the rest of the tins roll forward giving the contents a bit of a stir.

Never store foodstuff on the floor, ideally they should be at least 3 foot up in the air on shelves, wheat, Rice, Pasta flour etc should always be stored withing plastic containers as most plastic wrappers are not bug resistant.

Onle every buy food stuffs you actually like to eat, not buying stuff simply cos its on offer.

I HAVE IN MY PC AN EXCELLENT ZIP FILE FOOD STORAGE PLANNING PROGRAM WHICH PEOPLE CAN CUSTOMISE TO MEET THEIR OWN FAMILY REQUIREMENTS, If anyone wants a copy you will need to U2U me with an E mail adress.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thank you for your very good advice. There are somethings that I hadnt even thought about. Currently, I have been stacking my canned stored foods on a shelf in a pantry. I like the idea of putting them on a dispense roller. Not only to sort and present them, but to also shake them up a bit everytime something has been pulled. The plastic "soda rollers" that people put in the fridge sounds like a good, cheap option for this.

I sent a u2u with an email addy to send the spreadsheet to. That is a most excellent idea and thank you for creating and offering it up.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think that this would be a great time to "go hunting with your brother". Ask if he would like to help you fix up a "hunting cabin" sense you enjoyed your trip so much. You may have to pick up a gun if you don't have one or take up bow hunting. I fishing pole and some #6 and #2 hooks would be nice to have to pass the time during the middle of the day when your not hunting.

If there are lots of berries can them at home, my wife just put up a bunch of apple butter and peaches. Pines and cotton means that there may be hard wood too. Should be some native nuts around. I remember shelling native pecans until my fingers bled when I was a kid.

An old 4 wheel drive truck is a great project. Mine is a 92. They are getting cheaper with the gas prices. Figure out the back roads to your hunting shack. If a family member is going with you it is a "pretty drive". I carry two spare tires in mine, have a shell on the back with a hi-lift jack, chains, axe, shovel and a come-along. Picked most of them up at yard sales cheap. Might get stuck up on the family place don't you know.

Any plan is better than no plan. You are already better off that 90% of people.

I realize that this is somewhat deceptive however if things do get bad you will have things set up and the family will be very happy that you did it. Also you will not have to try to change peoples minds in the short term. I am lucky that my wife and son are on board with me. My bother and folks are not quit ready to accept the possibility that things might go south in a bad way.

Best of luck. WD

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I see you worrying a lot about food, but almost nothing said about the main thing you need in survival. Always think of things in order of what can kill you the fastest.

1) Exposure. (under 12 hours, but varies with temp)
2) Dehydration. (48 to 72 hours)
3) Starvation. (2 weeks)

Things like power are a comfort item, and are not going to do you much good if you cannot find clean fresh water in the first 48 hours for your tea bags (
). Second is your ability to stay at a decent body temperature, regardless of the weather conditions. If you buy good gear it will last you a lifetime, and can be used in many different situations or just when hiking or camping. Get a really good water filter that can filter as much water as possible between filter changes. Katadyn makes about the best ones ever, but they are pricey. Get a good Firepiston, and learn how to use it. A firepiston can basically last forever and provide a means to light a fire under any conditions, though they can be tricky to use (I could not close my hand for a week after I got mine, from smashing that thing together to get an ember
) . A REALLY, REALLY, Good knife, and multi-tool. Anyway, stuff like that, and even more so, knowledge, are the best survival items you can have. I would worry about that kind of thing before I worried about a generator that runs on Gas which may not be available in an emergency.

new topics

top topics

join