It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest Dinosaurs Grew Huge by Not Chewing Their Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Dinosaurs known as sauropods—the largest land animals that ever lived—grew huge and were an evolutionary success in part because they didn't bother to chew their food, new research suggests.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

This is an interesting report-it seems gulping your food may cause metabolisms to grow faster-yummy

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Check out this Neil Adams youtube video:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ"

A smaller earth with less gravity would help explain the increased size of all life (insects and animals) back then.

It would also explain this article:

"http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=136831"

Less gravity would allow a 100 kg bird/reptile (dinosaur) to fly with a 30 foot wingspan. The wings would just be useless according to that guys research. A little too useless for natural selection and evolution to permit.

Regardless, some interesting stuff.

Peace

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thank for you point-out a very interesting read. Yet the question remains, who did they maintain such size. Wouldn't high metabolic rates also increase caloric thresholds?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Oscitate

Agreed. And thanks to the OP for the post - I found that this story is similarly reminiscent with another potential gigantic dinosaur, the American.

www.theonion.com...

Please forgive the lighthearted nature of the post. I enjoyed the OP and wanted to give a bump without knowing much.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Years ago, a guy floated the idea that the atmosphere had a higher oxygen content than today atmosphere. Less breathing, less "work" for metabolism.

Results are larger animals and plants.

Hadn't heard of gravity fluctuations, I'd think it would tie in with planet size and core composition, but then; I'm not a planetary scientist.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
Check out this Neil Adams youtube video:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ"

A smaller earth with less gravity would help explain the increased size of all life (insects and animals) back then.

It would also explain this article:

"http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=136831"

Less gravity would allow a 100 kg bird/reptile (dinosaur) to fly with a 30 foot wingspan. The wings would just be useless according to that guys research. A little too useless for natural selection and evolution to permit.

Regardless, some interesting stuff.

Peace

So if a baby were raised on the moon without gravity it would be a giant?
Add in some evolution.. who knows what humans would look like.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by WishForWings]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Agreed, the gravity fluctuations also tie in with the theory that the continents did not drift, but that the earth is expanding. Interesting.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

I think the absurdity of the question is also the answer. Things happened when they happened for a reason.

Peace.

PS. I think those babies would be fricken huge though...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
makes sense....

in fact on the porches, there are perhaps a dozen or so of those small lizards...

more than once i watched as a larger lizard (3") gulp down a smaller (2") lizard, i've seen first hand they don't chew or gnaw their prey.
but i suspect the larger prehistoric dinosaurs had to at least rip apart chunks they could swallow & then let those gullet stones crush the food around...
instead of wasting time and energy in chewing.

on one occasion, i was quick enough to pin down a pair of lizards,
the bigger one only had the smaller one's head, so it was easy to pull them apart.
but i won't do that sort of thing again

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

on one occasion, i was quick enough to pin down a pair of lizards,
the bigger one only had the smaller one's head, so it was easy to pull them apart.
but i won't do that sort of thing again

LOL! I hope you gave the larger one a strapping. "Tut tut. Now off you go boys!"

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Im pretty sure the article is referring to Herbivores only.
There has been numerous bones (of T-rex leftovers) found that theoretically illustrate the various biting, and chewing methods that the larger carnivores employed. I think the article makes a lot of sense but I also think that the brontosaurus and other large herbivores had some crazy digestive acid starting right at the back of there mouth. Theres no way that huge neck wouldnt cause them to choke non-stop if they were eating bushes whole without some sort of acidic grease in the pipe.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings

Well,the moon does have gravity (just one sixth of earth´s) but it is interesting to speculate about how different ratios of gravity may have varied effects on the evolution of the human form.
Its been speculated that if bipedal,carbon based life forms lived on a planet with huge gravity then their appearance would be squat and muscular with short necks and stocky,´barrel chested´ frames.
Whereas if a planet had relatively low gravity then its inhabitants would evolve to appear tall,thin,slender and lithe with long apendages and walk with a gracefull gait.
Cheers Karl

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by WishForWings

Well,the moon does have gravity (just one sixth of earth´s) but it is interesting to speculate about how different ratios of gravity may have varied effects on the evolution of the human form.
Its been speculated that if bipedal,carbon based life forms lived on a planet with huge gravity then their appearance would be squat and muscular with short necks and stocky,´barrel chested´ frames.
Whereas if a planet had relatively low gravity then its inhabitants would evolve to appear tall,thin,slender and lithe with long apendages and walk with a gracefull gait.
Cheers Karl

I always knew I was born on Jupiter. :/

Its a interesting thing to think about.
Maybe the dinosaurs were huge cause the moon was closer.. So they'd have gravity from the moon pulling them up and the earth pulling them down?
Or ..... yeah basically just lowering earth's gravity?
I remember watching a documentary that said the surf was much MUCH higher back then, sorry no sources though.
Unsure if what I'm saying is anything remotely accurate.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Years ago, a guy floated the idea that the atmosphere had a higher oxygen content than today atmosphere. Less breathing, less "work" for metabolism.

Results are larger animals and plants.

That's fine for animals, but photosynthesis in plants is limited by water, light, and CO2. Oxygen is obtained by the splitting of water during the process of photosynthesis in plants. Atmospheric Oxygen is not a limiting factor, so the idea that higher levels of oxygen encouraged the evolution of giant plants is a non-starter.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I am partial to the explanation of far higher Carbon dioxide levels ( up to twelve times that of today) which in concert with higher temperatures would have provided dinosaurs with ample food. Here is a short discussion on three likely explanations of their size.

dinosaurs.about.com...

I'm not going to go look for the chart indicating levels of CO2 trough time so you will have to take my word for the twelve times more.

Stellar

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Dinosaurs peer pressured my grandfather into smoking.
LOL at their faces.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Gary Larson is quite the comedic genius so his work comes highly recommended.
You can find pretty weighty published paperback books filled with similar stuff....

Stellar

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

Gary Larson is quite the comedic genius so his work comes highly recommended.

Stellar-your not wrong about Gary Larson being a comedy genius.
Although it has got nothing to do with dinosaurs whatsoever,this one always makes me chuckle:

new topics

top topics

join