It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aspirin for Alzheimer's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
A new study suggests the Omega-6 fatty acid Arachidonic Acid is present in increased amounts in rats with Alzheimer's.

news.bbc.co.uk...

What is Arachidonic Acid?

en.wikipedia.org...

The Wiki says Aspirin blocks the formation of eicosanoids from Arachidonic Acid.

So I am jumping around a bit, but does that maybe mean Aspirin could help prevent Alzheimer's?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Not sure about Aspirins effects on Alzheimer's.

As far as what is Arachidonic Acid: basically it is a polyunsaturated Fat (bad fat) also known as omega 6. Omega 3's on the other hand(found in fish and such) are good "fats".

Heres a decent article on it: Arachidonic Acid

CBN.com – There are two types of fats that fall into the category of "good" fats. These are the monounsaturated fats and the long chain omega 3 fats. You get monounsaturated fats from olive oil, selected nuts and avacados. Long chain omega 3 fats come from fish and fish oils. These are exceptionally powerful allies in your quest for a longer and healthier life. However, there are some fats you want to restrict in your diet. These are saturated fats, trans fats and (AA) arachidonic acid. I consider these to be really "bad" fats. Arachidonic acids are found primarily in fatty red meats, egg yolks and organ meats. This particular polyunsaturaed fat may be the most dangerous fat know when consumed in excess and is known as an Omega 6 fat. In fact, you can inject virtually every type of fat (even saturated fat and cholesterol) into rabbits and nothing happens. However, if you inject (AA) arachidonic acid into the same rabbits they are dead within three minutes. The human body needs "some" arachidonic acid, but too much can be toxic.

Also, not aspirin but another study has shown that Marijuana may infact help prevent Alzheimer's as well:

BBC

Marijuana may block Alzheimer's Brain The compound may protect the brain The active ingredient in marijuana may stall decline from Alzheimer's disease, research suggests. Scientists showed a synthetic version of the compound may reduce inflammation associated with Alzheimer's and thus help to prevent mental decline. They hope the cannabinoid may be used to developed new drug therapies. The research, by Madrid's Complutense University and the Cajal Institute, is published in the Journal of Neuroscience.

some food for thought to be sure. good thread

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I realized in reading all that stuff that I am probably flooding myself with Omega-6 fatty acids because my diet sucks!

It looks like the O-3/O-6 ratio is important. I think I will take an Omega-3 supplement for a month and see how my cholesterol/LDL/HDL looks on my physical this year compared to last.

EPA and DHA seem pretty helpful, at least based on what I can find from the FDA.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If you start "bombarding" your system with Omega 3's you should start to feel better within that month time frame.

Post back here after you have tried it for a month and see what the results are I am curious to hear how it worked for you.

My wife and I have really increased our Omega 3 intake over the last couple years and we have never felt better. It may just be coincidence(of course, quitting cigs helped a lot too) but I dont think it is.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Patients with Alzheimer's are diagnosed with high calcium levels. If you have noticed foggy mind then it can be easily too high calcium and too low magnesium. Magnesium and Calcium rate is important. But there are also lots of other causes for foggy mind and Alzheimer's.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the input, just.

I have been lowering my intake of calcium while raising my magnesium intake(molasses works well).

I didnt really notice any difference when lowing my calcium(not cutting it out..just lowing the intake levels a little bit). I did , however, notice I felt better after taking a daily dose of Molasses for magnesium.

But still, I dont really like taking aspirin, so its nice to find things other than possibly help prevent Alzheimer's. My body doesnt seem to like aspirin very much...

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
An aspirin a day could help stop dementia say scientists as they launch huge study into benefits of the pill

It is already used to help prevent heart attacks and strokes, and now researchers believe the humble aspirin could also hold the key to warding off dementia and cancer.
The claim came yesterday at the launch of the largest ever study into the health benefits of the everyday medicine, which has long been thought of as a health-booster.
A study of 15,000 people aged over 70 will be the most extensive clinical trial on the use of aspirin to prevent disease in the elderly.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Reviving the thread with the new study. The article says it can be a catch 22 because aspirin may increase risk for a major stroke because of increased blood flow. That can be mitigated and managed it is best to talk to a physician before taking regularly.

Personally since the report came out I take one a day because Alzheimer's and dementia runs in the families. My mother was diagnosed a few years ago and it is one of the saddest things.

top topics

join