It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt ponders proof-of-ID law for future phone purchases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Govt ponders proof-of-ID law for future phone purchases

www.reghardware.co.uk

The government is said to be drawing up plans to force all UK mobile phone buyers to provide some form of identification, such as a passport or identity card - see where this is going? - before being be allowed to take delivery of, say, a shiny new iPhone or BlackBerry Storm.

When you get your phone, the fact will be recorded by the Government, which will presumably make an explicit link between phone numbers and users' ID documents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Will they ever give up?

This will help to push (sorry, encourage take up of) ID cards onto us; and secondly, this proves that the gov still insists it will give us all a nice spot in its database of our lives. Fantastic.

I remember a TV show called "This is Your Life" where the guest was given a red book detailing his friends, achievements and notable activities in life. Well, I think the gov is about to give us all a little red card and lifelong membership to its version of the show. I hope stage fright doesn't make me lash out and kick it in the teeth (or lower).

I've just read a news article that says we're entering an era of paranoia: is it any surprise given our liberty and privacy are under attack from those we "elected" to serve our interests.

I've perhaps another 30 or 40 years left of my life. I feel sorry for those born recently whom will never have the ability to reminisce their younger years as being filled with the unconstraint that mine and older generations. The really sad bit is that they will never miss it so they have nothing to compare thus less impulse to gain it.

www.reghardware.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20/10/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm fairly unmoved by this story, myself. For a start, I use my passport already as ID for more or less every purpose. It's easier than being turned down because X organisation doesn't accept Y utility bill. But also because I'm pretty sure the last time I bought a phone I had to use my passport as ID to buy it anyway....

LW

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

but did you have to use ID to buy a pay as you go mobile phone?

this is all phones not just contract phones were you need to prove your who you say are as your entering a legal binding 12 month contract

what next you have to flash id to buy topup cards so they can double check your phones registered?

top topics

join