It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raising 150 Million in One Month Should be a Warning for Things to Come.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
reply to post by marg6043

You simply cannot blame the republicans for the last 8 years. And the sooner you and I agree on that, the better off this country will be.

So let me get this straight. Until we all accept your point of view the country will not be better off? Of course the republicans had nothing to do with it...In my opinion, its people like you that will not accept or even try to accepot anything that differs with them that is the real issue.

I like this statement better - "the sooner we all agree that both reps and dems screwed up the better off our country will be"

Regards,

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Bingo Grover. And the last two years of Deocratic "control" has been tied up by Republican threats (and actual) filibusters. Maybe the Dems should use the Nuclear option that the Republicans were wielding around so angrily in order to get Alito and Roberts onto the Supreme Court? You can't legislate change when you don't have a supermajority... but wait I think November 4th might change that.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

My point exactly. With high prices and such a bad economy, not many can afford to give money as Obama would like you to believe.

This isn't about Obama winning or losing. It is about the role money plays in the political election. And I have a problem when politicians say they are against lobbyist and against wealthy running this government but turns right back around and says thank you for your donation.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by jam321]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
It just seems the process and the country no longer belong to we the people.

Yeah I kind of got that feeling when the supreme court handed the presidency over to the candidate that lost the election by all official counts.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is all the more reason why the campaigns should be publicly financed. Is the $150 million legitimate? Who knows. I do know that it looks more than a little suspicious when his previous monthly high was $66 million. I doubt that its on the level, but election laws what they are, its impossible to prove.

Oh well. The motto for the Dems seems to be 'By whatever means necessary' this year. At this point, that's fine with me. Once the honeymoon is over, I think most of them are going to absolutely hate this guy by this time next year.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

sorry about that, must have left it out.

Here you go....

Obama raises record $150 million in September

source

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
you guys that blame reps for last 8 years are just running at the mouth. The dems also went along for the ride. They are both to blame. I didn't see dems complaining about all that pork they were sending back to their states. And if Obama wins both party will be responsible for whatever happens in the next 4 years. I have yet to see a bill pass where only one side votes on it.

As far as these campaign contributions, I really don't care who is raising it. It stinks to high hell.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

Like I said most people have short memories.

We have a "Republican corporate ridden government a corporate President that has been in power as a Republican for 8 years giving the biggest pay off any president has done to this base donors" then the same president had an all "yes sir" congress of "Republicans" for 6 years and even if the "last two years of yes sir democrats" are at fault to the problems in the nation guess what !!!!!! do the math.

It doesn't matter, the corruption that our nation has been under within the government just cemented in the last 8 years regardless of who the congress was protecting, both parties are at fault.

But more one than the other.

BTW this ATS and here you can not get away with one line of thinking, in this boards people love to dissect OPs base on opinions

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
$150 million is certainly nothing to sneeze at. If one could follow that money trail back to the source, I'm sure that a large % would lead to Soros.

On the other hand, if that money came from the likes of Joe the plumber and Joe sixpack, shame on them. In this ailing economy, the money would have been better spent at your neighborhood retailer or buying canned goods for your local foodbank. I thought this campaign was about spreading the wealth and helping your fellow man. It is very clear that Barry does not need the money from your average Joe.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well, thats nice of yall to give him money. It will help soften the blow for next year when he starts taking it from us.

why is it so imperative to donate when he is up some 10 points in most polls? oh wait, Michelle needs lobsters, thats right.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
why is it so imperative to donate when he is up some 10 points in most polls? oh wait, Michelle needs lobsters, thats right.

What an inane statement (cf lobsters).

In truth, Obama can't afford to let up in this final stretch. And that money is good news -- he'll outspend McCain and seal the deal. Cheers.

McCain's health plan, where I live and work, means that I'm worse off under it. Guess how I vote.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Good post. Ditto Ditto Ditto... Give them a fixed amount at the beginning... What a great test of executive budgeting skills that may just come in handy in the White House. Barry could use a little training. I understand that his wife recently order some caviar for a midnight snack after the last debate. I assume the campaign picked up the tab. I would have gone for the Totino pizza rolls. A much better decision in these troubled economic times.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

You will not feel a thing, because by then we all regular Americans will be banckrupt, unemployed and with our homes mostly on foreclosure, the money will be scraped out of the only ones holding the wealth.

The same fat rats that we have been bailing out with the biggest scam this nation government has shove on the backs of the tax payer.

11 Trillion dollars on national debt and growing thanks to the bail out to global elites will push this nation so far behind that Americans will have not way to pay for any hike on taxes at all, at least the regular joes.

BTW I still can afford lobsters dinners!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 20-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I understand that his wife recently order some caviar for a midnight snack after the last debate.

Well, it's customary that people have some extra fine food on special occasions. I'd be breaking out champaigne after the last debate as well, if I didn't have to work the next day

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
My point exactly. With high prices and such a bad economy, not many can afford to give money as Obama would like you to believe.

BS!

If half the people in the US gave ONE dollar, there's your $150 million.

If a measly one million people (1/300 of the population) gave $150 (which is not at all unreasonable)... $150 million

If Hillary's 18 million supporters gave eight bucks each... $150 million.

When people get together, in numbers, they can do fantastic things!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

BS!

If half the people in the US gave ONE dollar, there's your $150 million.

If a measly one million people (1/300 of the population) gave $150 (which is not at all unreasonable)... $150 million

If Hillary's 18 million supporters gave eight bucks each... $150 million.

When people get together, in numbers, they can do fantastic things!

Wow!! We have just landed in Utopia. My advice... Smell the Kool-Aid before you drink it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Guess that is why Hollywood has these special dinners for him to collect outrageous money for him?

If.........If....If.....almost the same as coulda shoulda and woulda but didn't.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
This is all the more reason why the campaigns should be publicly financed.

This would go a long way at protecting this country from outside influence. We the people are not better served by a process where by the man with the most money wins. Unless of course you can trace every red cent back to "the people".

But that seems impossible to track when there is loose or no accountability for money streaming in.

Source:www.sodahead.com...

$577 MILLION in donations to Obama's campaign

About half of that - $269 million - is from donations of under $200. Why is that important? Those donations do not have to be individually reported to the FEC. They could be coming from anywhere - including overseas. We are trusting that the Obama campaign is voluntarily following the law and returning donations that are illegal - including those that exceed the $2300 limit for individuals.

No word from the Obama campaign, from the FEC, or from anyone else whether that is being done or not. How much has been returned? What safeguards do they have in place to assure that the donations are on the up and up?

Wouldn't those be some interesting questions to ask the campaign?

And to all O'Bama supporters, if the sheer volume of money raised by his campaign doesn't even so much as raise an eyebrow, you are deaf, dumb, and blind! I can tell you this, if the republican nominee had raised this kind of cash, I'd be calling for the same oversight. This man has shattered all previous records for fund raising, and it seems none of you are concerned about it at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You mean like these?

Goldman Sachs $739,521
University of California $697,506
Harvard University $501,489
Citigroup Inc $492,548
Google Inc $487,355
JPMorgan Chase & Co $475,112
National Amusements Inc $432,169
Microsoft Corp $429,656
UBS AG $419,550
Lehman Brothers $391,774
Wilmerhale Llp $383,024
Time Warner $375,063
Sidley Austin LLP $370,916
Skadden, Arps et al $360,409
Stanford University $341,399
Morgan Stanley $341,380
Latham & Watkins $328,879
Jones Day $309,960
University of Chicago $294,237
General Electric $290,584

BTW, these are the amounts given to O'Bama for his current campaign.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Guess that is why Hollywood has these special dinners for him to collect outrageous money for him?

Jam, O'Bama even brought one back from the dead to contribute.

The Times' campaign finance expert Dan Morain has found Obama campaign records reporting a $50 donation by Roy Scheider, who lists his occupation as actor and his home as Sag Harbor, N.Y.

Source: [url=http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/04/dead-actor-roy.html]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/04/dead-actor-roy.html[/ur l]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join