It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not worship the Cruxifix

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

are you implying that jesus holds grudges?

he glorifies what the cross means.

its our salvation.

peace

To me, just like so many items in the Bible, the cross is a parable. The cross was the physical symbol of Christ's burden. The cross is the embodiment of our sins. Through His walk in golgotha, His stations tell a story. He carries our burdens through persection, mocked by all but a few. He is then nailed to this burden to the end, when His life is given so that the human race has one human story, a story of relationship.

The old testament required so much faith, but being a fair and just God, all of those people that have asked and still ask for some sign that is tangible.. were given that chance when Christ died on a cross for the sins of the world.

The cross is a representation of that sacrifice. However, like all material things, we should not raise the cross to a level above the relationship that it represented. I dont think it is our salvation.. but it is also not our burden. It is our acknowledgement.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by GanjaGoddess]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
what a rather long and fatigueing thread.....wwwwwhhh

if you love god in your heart more than anything and i mean more than anything......you could venerate a thousand idols and it wouldnt matter

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
if you love god in your heart more than anything and i mean more than anything......you could venerate a thousand idols and it wouldnt matter

I totally agree with you but for the word idols.
Change it for "symbols or images" and I reckon you're spot on.

They are symbols and images of invisible ideas and not objects of worship themselves.
It's what's behind the symbol that really matters.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It always nice how people just twist the meaning of the Bible, twist the sayings of God, and change the image of God to suit their ideas. Ex. "God is all love."

Who turned God into a hippie cliche????

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This may be off topic, But these topic are always off.

Can someone riddle me this. Why would an all powerfull god need to rest? " on the 7th day he rested."

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Can someone riddle me this. Why would an all powerfull god need to rest? " on the 7th day he rested."

A parent teaches his children by example. Maybe that was Gods intention as well. Working 6 days of the week and resting on the 7th. That would also give us the framework to record history by giving us so many days in a week. We would also know what to expect from the future. We needed this structure to realize seasons of the year, when to plant, when to harvest. If we had no structure to the days we lived it would just be day, after day, after day, after day.

It gives us the basic understanding of time.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Lizard, so what you are saying is, he didnt really rest, just said he did, to give us a break?

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
It always nice how people just twist the meaning of the Bible, twist the sayings of God, and change the image of God to suit their ideas. Ex. "God is all love."

Who turned God into a hippie cliche????

Maybe you should look at who turned God into a vengeful, wrathful and jealous God?
The meaning of the Bible has already been twisted.

I'd say He started out as your hippy cliche and was transformed into the scriptural monster that you see today.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Lizard, so what you are saying is, he didnt really rest, just said he did, to give us a break?

At the end of each day God said this is good, I dont think he was talking to himself. I think he was talking to his children. To show us that we should feel good about a hard days work, and that this is the way we should conduct our own lives. He also says he rested, again I think he wanted us to rest at least one day per week, rather than resting all the time or working all the time. He is showing us how to balance our lives in a healthy manner.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

At the end of each day God said this is good, I dont think he was talking to himself. I think he was talking to his children. To show us that we should feel good about a hard days work, and that this is the way we should conduct our own lives. He also says he rested, again I think he wanted us to rest at least one day per week, rather than resting all the time or working all the time. He is showing us how to balance our lives in a healthy manner.

Im not trying to be funny or anything, but do you you really beleive this? If so , how did you come to this conlusion, Im wondering what I missed, that would lead me in this direction.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Im not trying to be funny or anything, but do you you really beleive this? If so , how did you come to this conlusion, Im wondering what I missed, that would lead me in this direction.

SpittinCobra I just came to this conclusion when reading the Bible. We need to look at the bible like our instruction manual that comes in the box (no pun intended). The bible isnt Gods personal diary. He created it so that we would know how to live our lives in the manner he intended. When I read the Bible I try not only to read the words, but to grasp the underling meaning, I also attempt to see how the message applies to my own life.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

We need to look at the bible like our instruction manual that comes in the box (no pun intended).

Dude, if the Bible were an instruction manual it would be like one of those flat pack kits.
You went and got a wardrobe. But when you put it together, you find there's still 5 screws left and you've actually ended up with a coffee table.

The only similarity is that it's furniture.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

SpittinCobra I just came to this conclusion when reading the Bible. We need to look at the bible like our instruction manual that comes in the box (no pun intended). The bible isnt Gods personal diary. He created it so that we would know how to live our lives in the manner he intended. When I read the Bible I try not only to read the words, but to grasp the underling meaning, I also attempt to see how the message applies to my own life.

Do you beleive the bible is the same as it was 2000 years ago? It is changed to fit agendas, Its "revised" to make it easier to read. I wont tell you what I think you should use it for.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Do you beleive the bible is the same as it was 2000 years ago? It is changed to fit agendas, Its "revised" to make it easier to read. I wont tell you what I think you should use it for.

I dont know. But I know we can find universal truths throughout the Bible. The Bible can be used to fit a subversive agenda not by the words written in the book but by twisting the meaning and interpreting the text to fit that agenda. This is just my opinion. Ultimately people will need to decide for themselves. Although you shouldnt let other people shape your opinion of the Bible. You should pick it up and begin reading it for yourself; I believe if you do you will see the truth, that it can be a positive experience and help you live a happy and fulfilled life.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I dont know. But I know we can find universal truths throughout the Bible. The Bible can be used to fit a subversive agenda not by the words written in the book but by twisting the meaning and interpreting the text to fit that agenda. This is just my opinion. Ultimately people will need to decide for themselves. Although you shouldnt let other people shape your opinion of the Bible. You should pick it up and begin reading it for yourself; I believe if you do you will see the truth, that it can be a positive experience and help you live a happy and fulfilled life.

I have read some, I am asking you questions because you responded to my question. I dont beleive In a god. I guess if there is, my bad, but you have to show me.

I really think Earth is the hell and space is the heavens. I think, that alot of the bible was wrote to try a stability.

90 % of the world has to believe in something, they need it. But does it really help. Is it fun? just seems like wasted time to me.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
i agree with you leveller about symbols and images and whats behind them that matters and how there used

and yes king lizard i agree with you there are universal truths in the bible....those of christ are parables he hid some of his teachings in parables ....deeper meanings are hid there....he did this to hide those deeper meanings from the men who would manipulate and change the bible ....the first council of nicea and constantinople for starts....some times people only see the surface teachings of christ but when they come closer to the spirit those things are revealed.....
i had it personally happen

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
id say it was Dante and that demented piece of work we know of as the Inferno who turned god from hippie cliche back into god of hellfire and brimstone and hate with a touch of dogma and scriptural parroting

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
SpittinCobra,

Please read Genesis 4 the story of Cain and Abel. It's only one page and will be well worth your time, the link I provided is to the NIV, a bit easier to read than the King James Version. If you do you will have read something that you can apply to your life. A universal truth that applies to the human condition. You will see what I mean. If you have any questions I will be happy to help.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

SpittinCobra,

Please read Genesis 4 the story of Cain and Abel. It's only one page and will be well worth your time, the link I provided is to the NIV, a bit easier to read than the King James Version. If you do you will have read something that you can apply to your life. A universal truth that applies to the human condition. You will see what I mean. If you have any questions I will be happy to help.

But see , Im not my bothers keeper. How can you keep something with free will. The most worth while story is JOB.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

SpittinCobra,

But see , Im not my bothers keeper. How can you keep something with free will. The most worth while story is JOB.

When I read Cain and Abel I see a story of jealousy and what that can lead you to. We can all apply the truth of this story to our lives. Dont be jealous of others, it can lead to the downfall of your life. Yes we can analyze this story further but this is a good place to start.

Genesis 4

4 But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join