It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious outcry sparks LittleBigRecall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Religious outcry sparks LittleBigRecall

videogames.yahoo.com

The "social platforming" game is already gathering rave reviews, but it hasn't proven popular with one Muslim group, which issued a complaint to the game's publisher Sony concerning one background music track. Performed by award-winning Malian musician Toumani Diabate, the song quotes two verses from the Qur'an. Many Muslims consider the mixing of music and scripture to be deeply offensive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
What ever happened to " if you dont like, then dont buy it".

This whole sensitivity to Muslims is getting way out of hand IMO.

Where do we as a society draw the line?

Are we supposed to live ours lives never offending any religous groups? This makes for a very boring world my friends.

If it offends you, then simply dont buy it.

videogames.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Seriously they delay the most hyped PS3 game of the year because their is a song that quotes the Koran, give me a freaking break. Sony would of been better off telling them, so what, deal with it. This really will make a lot of buyers look twice at Sony.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickinVa

On this one I see their point. Including verses from the Quran is pretty intrusive.

It is not like they are complaining because they don't like what you are doing in "your world". It is a case of intentionally taking something that they hold sacred from "their world" and misusing it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Thinking twice about it now. Maybe its for the better. I would rather not have the culture mixed into mine.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I have the inside scoop on this. My partner actually works for a company which is intimately involved with the making of this game and it means he gets another months worth of work out of them! So, frankly I'm glad. It means a nice Christmas for us.

You can't blame Sony - as much as we want Sony to tell the millions of Muslims that might buy this game to live with it, the millions of Muslims who might buy it, might not as a result. That's the bottom line isn't it?

Now let's just hope the no one else gets offended or Sony will be screwed for Christmas. This game has the potential to piss lots of people off too so hey, get offended! * plans nice holiday from the proceeds*

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by RickinVa

On this one I see their point. Including verses from the Quran is pretty intrusive.

It is not like they are complaining because they don't like what you are doing in "your world". It is a case of intentionally taking something that they hold sacred from "their world" and misusing it.

What about games like "Devil May Cry" or "UnHoly" which take direct verses from The Bible?!

Do we hear about Christian/Catholic outcry on those? No, is the answer lol.

Edited to add: And, are they also suing the Malian guy who made the track? Or trying to get his single recalled?

[edit on 20-10-2008 by A55A551N]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by A55A551N
What about games like "Devil May Cry" or "UnHoly" which take direct verses from The Bible?!

The Muslims believe it is sacreligious to use quotes from the Quran in irreverent ways. It is forbidden.

What the Christians believe, and want to protest, is a totally different matter.

There is NO NEED to take Quranic Verses and use them in a video game. Unless of course one is trying to be disrespectful just for the heck of it. The geniuses at Sony should have realized that.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The Muslims need to grow up. Maybe if they allowed a little bit of their culture to seep it's way into our culture the average westerner would gain a better understanding of their religion and we'd be able to avoid this type of issue because people would be more knowledgeable on the subject.

Stuff like this only serves to further anger and alienate the average westerner while perpetuating ignorance.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I've already played this game from someone who had it in beta, and it was the best thing I've seen on the screen in years. Wait till you see how this thing looks! Outstanding & innovative game & good fun for the whole family afaic

Now, somethin about the lyrics?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Honestly, is there anything that doesn't offend a Moslem?

If you're going to put your fairytale in the public domain, you can't complain when people start using it how they like.

Either that, or stop prozelytising ffs!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by A55A551N

The Muslims believe it is sacreligious to use quotes from the Quran in irreverent ways. It is forbidden.

What the Christians believe, and want to protest, is a totally different matter.

There is NO NEED to take Quranic Verses and use them in a video game. Unless of course one is trying to be disrespectful just for the heck of it. The geniuses at Sony should have realized that.

So because the Muslim's believe it to be, we should abide by that? People believe it's unlawful and disgusting to commit rape and child molestation; doesn't mean people listen.

Has anyone asked Allah directly if it's disrespectful?

Show me one place where it's deemed actually 'forbidden' to use Quoranic verses.

I mean c'mon Terrorists try using them ALL THE TIME to justify themselves.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
Sony would of been better off telling them, so what, deal with it. This really will make a lot of buyers look twice at Sony.

Hmm not really.

Mass violent marches in muslim countries against sony,boycott of sony products,bombings of sony buildings,burning of sony products,muslims countries and high ranking muslims officials voicing their concerns on every international forum against sony = sony going down the drainhole with profits turning from positive to negative figures within a few weeks.

Sony is better off listening to the concerns of the muslim world if it wants to see its existance long term.Remember there are 1.5bil muslims and ignoring them is not an option.

Christian reaction to a game shootout in cathedral

TextChurch of England: Sony game is 'sick'

By Thomas Wagner, Associated Press
LONDON — The Church of England accused Sony on Saturday of using an English cathedral as the backdrop to a violent computer game and said it should be withdrawn from shop shelves.

The church said Sony did not ask for permission to use Manchester cathedral and demanded an apology.

The popular new PlayStation 3 game, Resistance: Fall of Man, shows a virtual shootout between rival gunmen with hundreds of people killed inside the cathedral. TextChurch officials described Sony's alleged use of the building as "sick" and sacrilegious.

www.usatoday.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

Note to MOds: Please tell me on how to post a link without it looking like this above^.

Cheers!

[edit on 20-10-2008 by t0ken]

[edit on 20-10-2008 by t0ken]

new topics

top topics

join