It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group says 'no' to ID card plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   

A GROUP opposing the introduction of identity cards will hold a public meeting in Plymouth.

City members of the anti-ID card campaign group NO2ID will meet at the Barbican on November 2.

The group has been actively collecting signatures in the city centre in opposition to Government plans to bring in a national identity card.

Ministers want to start issuing ID cards to young people from late 2010. Students will be particularly targeted, but on a voluntary basis, in an attempt to win the population round to backing the ID card idea.
www.thisisplymouth.co.uk...

I'll be attending..will be interesting to see what they have to say, also I'll be introducing them to ATS if they have not heard of it yet..

Maybe there are some others here on ATS who are in the Devon/Cornwall area who can attend this meeting too...would be good to see you there...

I'll follow up on this with a report on what they said after the 2nd November...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
plymouths a long way away when you dont drive

if they have petitions etc (online) be sure to stick a link on site if its not agianst the rules theres plenty of UK'er that will stick thier names on it from here im guessing

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Oh lovely.. Stand up and refuse the chip in ID cards.. Smash your card carefully like a website said.. All great.... except you're just giving them an excuse to force the RFID chip

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun
plymouths a long way away when you dont drive

Yes, it certainly is. I live in Manchester and don't drive: a very expensive journey.

if they have petitions etc (online) be sure to stick a link on site if its not agianst the rules theres plenty of UK'er that will stick thier names on it from here im guessing

I signed up for NO2ID a couple of years ago and received updates for a while but then stopped hearing anything. Thinking about it, I don't think I've had anything from them for about a year.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I signed up for NO2ID a couple of years ago and received updates for a while but then stopped hearing anything. Thinking about it, I don't think I've had anything from them for about a year.

same here.

i don't really get the point in signing up your name to a list which is against lists of people's names anyway. surely if the government were to ever get all surveillance-state on us they would just confiscate the list and we'd all be screwed?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
No problem...

I've no idea which particular group this is, there was no contact info given in the newspaper article, but i'll be sure to collect all I possibly can... and point as many people as I can towards ATS at the same time

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, the meeting went quite well IMO.

Here's the link to the main web site.
no2id

The person in charge covers the Plymouth area on his own free will and is rather well informed about the entire situation.
He did a very good job in presenting the evidence and information in a way that everyone could understand and backed it up with related leaflets and other small information packs (just enough info to get peoples brains working I think).

There were several members of the public who were not really aware of what the ID card scheme was all about, and at first, they seemed to be giggling to themselves about some of the info being presented, but there were some very noticeable moments where these people were deep in thought and had a hint of worry wiped across their faces.

One couple was quietly discussing things between themselves and the questions they possibly were asking each other appear to have been answered by the no2id presenter as they never asked any questions afterwards.

There was one Gentleman who was most concerned. He had heard of the ID card and database and does not really want to sign up to it but his job may force him to do so. He was reasonably equipped with info from other sites and online videos. His main concern was gaining more knowledge with which to approach his union rep.

The Plymouth area 'no2id' presenter was also on a recruitment drive. Asking for assistance from anyone who wished to help in any way and wondering what sort of suggestions people had as to how the issue could be pushed forwards out into the public domain even more....

There may be several venues filled with eager bands willing to promote no2id rather soon

time will tell.

The amazing thing was, nobody had heard of ATS.
I did my best to promote ATS without treading on the toes of the meetings presenter and I'm sure that several people have taken AboveTopSecret.com home with them in their minds.

The venue for the evening was the Chestnut Tree Cafe (anyone recognise that name?) for which I will be doing a review of and taking some pics for a thread here on ATS as I was impressed by the 'in-your-face' approach of the cafes management (you'll understand when I can do the thread).

the cafes staff were very warm, welcoming and hospitable and I highly recomend this venue for those with an alternative way of living

Although there were many things discussed that I was already aware of, I think that the evening was a success. Several people learnt something new and may very well be online right now doing more research and after the presenter and myself had chatted, I feel he went home with quite a smile on his face.

I'm currently waiting for an e-mail from him so I can give him a direct link to this thread...

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Extralien]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Hey,

Have you seen the messages on your profile? I'm guessing not as I haven't heard from you
I had trouble with the e-mail bouncing the other day, hence the messages on your profile. Please drop me a line!

Cheers,

Simon
NO2ID Plymouth Group Co-ordinator

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
ROFL you guys are so funny with your fear of Id cards... Straight out of the middle ages. We have had Id cards for years and it has done nothing but positive things - electronic services offered by state and private companies, increased security of electronic banking, electronic tickets for public transportation and online voting.

Its not the id card that you need to fear but the way it is implemented. Have a strong say and intelligent oversight of how the system is set up, and it will only bring good.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Alphard]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
allidid,

Yes I've seen your messages. Please look for the red and yellow U2U button on top of your page and click that..will take you to the private messages I sent in reply

Alphard;

The difference with the ID systems of yeter-year was that they were not all connected on one big data base... this new ID card will be (here in UK at least until the idea spreads). The major argument with this type of system to be installed is that it will combat crime, fraud, illegal immigrants and terrorism...which is all nothing more than fear mongering. It will not stop any of those things.

If you read through the no2id web site you will find most of the reasons why this system will not work as suggested. It is nothing more than a monitor of peoples movements and lifestyles. Big Brother (1984) in effect.

I can assure you that allidid is very well informed on what is going on and what has been planned, otherwise there would not be much point in him doing what he is doing.

and do you mean 'good' as in 'plusgood' or 'ungood' either way, it may be that your idea of good may possibly be very different from other peoples.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm sure the government will be making a public announcement on the ID card soon, and in it's time-honoured tradition of leaving the information on a train

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
The difference with the ID systems of yeter-year was that they were not all connected on one big data base... this new ID card will be (here in UK at least until the idea spreads). The major argument with this type of system to be installed is that it will combat crime, fraud, illegal immigrants and terrorism...which is all nothing more than fear mongering. It will not stop any of those things.

If you read through the no2id web site you will find most of the reasons why this system will not work as suggested. It is nothing more than a monitor of peoples movements and lifestyles. Big Brother (1984) in effect.

I can assure you that allidid is very well informed on what is going on and what has been planned, otherwise there would not be much point in him doing what he is doing.

and do you mean 'good' as in 'plusgood' or 'ungood' either way, it may be that your idea of good may possibly be very different from other peoples.

Yes I browsed through it. I still think that the effort is misguided. Your enemy is not the id-card itself (which allows for easy personal identification (IF NEED BE) both off- and online. Your problem is that the government is ALSO setting up a system for storing all of your activities. While storing the information in regard to your activities WITH the state is a completely good approach in my mind (like when you apply for car license online), storing information on browsing habits is not.

Also the statement that Id cards will not 'solve' the problems you mentioned is overkill - no one thing will remove crime, fraud, illegal immigrants and terrorism. But easier identification of people DOES make all of this easier. For what its worth - how do you feel a biometric passport is better than an ID-card?

Getting into UK with forged documents is rediculously easy atm...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Getting into the Uk WITHOUT documents is also very easy

It's the monitoring of our daily lives and cataloging of our every move and purchase that is the most concerning.

It's the sale of our private data to corporations to further profit.

It's walking around a town centre and have every shop call your name and invite you in to buy their stuff. This is one possibility that many can see happening.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Getting into the Uk WITHOUT documents is also very easy

It's the monitoring of our daily lives and cataloging of our every move and purchase that is the most concerning.

It's the sale of our private data to corporations to further profit.

It's walking around a town centre and have every shop call your name and invite you in to buy their stuff. This is one possibility that many can see happening.

I agree.. completely. And it has nothing to do with ID-cards, if they are implemented correctly.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes, and it's the database behind the card that is the problem..not so much the card itself.

the card is just a front to get the database built.

They can't even look after data now (check ATS for loads of related data loss threads) so many are asking how this new data base will be any different or make any of us safer/secure etc.

new topics

top topics

join