To read the report for yourselves, this information was included in the MODs October 2008 release of UFO files
available at ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk
There are many files, for this case download DEFE
Really cool case, summarising;
- Object monitored for "considerable-time" by ground radar "orbiting East-Anglia area", "unusual flight pattern", "motionless for long
- "Checking with all the controlling agencies revealed this was an Unidentified Flying Object"
- 2 alert F-86 sabre jets scrambled, armed with 24 rockets each.
- Sabres climbed to FL320 at maximum afterburner with radars on under Ground Controlled Intercept (GCI) directions
- Conditions were IFR "impossible to see anything" unfortunately, but it was night. "no stars,no lights,no silouhettes,in short nothing"
- Sabres were directed by GCI for a "lead collision course type rocket release", leveled off at mach 0.92, "about as fast as the F-86D could go
straight and level".
- "The order came to fire a full salvo of rockets at the UFO", "I was only a lieutenant and very much aware of the gravity of the situation", "I
almost # my pants" (lol).
- "I asked for authentification of the order to fire, and I recieved it", "I selected 24 rockets to salvo"
- "The final turn was given" and the pilot asked to locate the object on his own radar.
- "Did not have a hard time at all", "Blip was burning a hole in the radar with its incredible intensity", "I had a lock on that had the
proportions of a flying aircraft carrier", "It was the best target I could ever remember locking on to"
- The lock estabilished at 15 miles which was the maximum range lockable, data indicated a 800knot overtake - I presume the object was stationary.
- "At about 10 seconds to go, I noticed the overtake position was changing its position", the object was accelerating away from the sabres. "It
moved rapidly to....the 11 o'clock position", indicating a negative overtake of 200 knots (maximum displayable).
- GCI asked if the pilot could see anything "I was still in the soup and could see nothing"
- The UFO broke lock, and was observed leaving the radar 30 mile range, the pilot reported this and was "told that the blip had gone off the scope in
two sweeps at the GCI site".
Download the pdf file, its a great read, pg 259-262. The pilot was warned later by a shadowy figure, and maintained secrecy for 30 years.
[edit on 20-10-2008 by stringue]