It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats are attempting ruin of economy in election year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
In a cynical election year ploy the Senate Democrats scuttled untold numbers of U.S. job opportunities. By blocking passage of a bill meant to address a WTO ruling on export subsidies the Senate democrats are virtually assuring no new jobs will be created in the manufacturing sector before the election. This filibuster was little noticed by the media or public because of the 9/11 hearings on the same day, and the fact it was done late in the evening after the news cycle ended.

Some would accuse the democrats and the Kerry campaign of working hand in hand with the EU on defeating the measure to end a 5-% tariff that began March 1st and escalates 1-% each month to a maximum of 17-%, making U.S manufactured goods UN-competitive in the European market.

US Treasury's Snow urges Congress act on trade bill,
Forbes Article
"I certainly would implore the Congress to act on it. It's awfully important to get that resolved so that these sanctions don't adversely affect our economy and our recovery,"

Americans for Tax Reform Calls on Kerry to Stop
Collaborating With the European Union,
Stop EU collaboration
WASHINGTON - Earlier this month, Democratic Presidential candidate, Sen. John Kerry proclaimed foreign leaders were pushing for him to win the election over President George W. Bush. Many people have shrugged this statement off as empty rhetoric, but the recent actions of the European Union (EU) and Sen. Kerry demonstrate otherwise. In fact, it appears that Kerry is working with the Europeans to impose tariffs on U.S. made products in key swing states to inflict painful job losses and keep the economy down during this election year.

The Senate democrats action just two days before Kerry campaign announcement of the goal to create 10,000,000 new jobs through corporate tax incentives of get this, 5-%, begins to look very cynical indeed.

Kerry promises 5% corporate tax cut
DETROIT John Kerry, promising to create 10 million jobs and keep them in America, said Friday he would cut corporate taxes by 5 percent and eliminate tax loopholes that push jobs overseas.

Related ATS post
Kerry promises 10 million jobs in 1st term

Through these actions the democrats stall job creation, make their own initiatives appear more successful and ensure continued political support from European leaders all at the possible loss of your job.

Are these the people you want to have running your county?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I agree. I think it borders on Treason.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't know if you know this, and even if you do, you're probably ignoring the fact...

The US Experienced a budget deficit of 500 billion USD for the Fiscal year 2003. If that's not an assed-out bottom scraping economy then I don't know what is.

The economy of the US is just bad, and that's just the way it is. Besides. You can't really blame the dems when it's a republican controlled house, senate, and presidency.

now can you?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Loki]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Loki, I don't think your reply speaks to this topic. We are not talking about what we have or have not done to ourselves, we're talking about collusion with external forces outside of our country to effect political change within our country. We are talking about intentionally damaging the economy of the US with the aid of foreign powers.

I believe that the Liberal hunger for power overrides all other considerations in their minds. I don't think they care who gets hurt as long as they get back into power.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Makes you wonder if the last change of the party representing, didnt do the same.

The clinton economy could have been purched at failure, and pushed over the edge as soon as the dems lost.

This would look nice the following election as the dems could point out the dismal effectiveness of the republican economy.

'See !...our economy was great, and now look how it has failed under their leadership.'

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Interesting Point Smirkley.

The only reason the ecomomy was good during the end of the Clinton years is because of all the Tech spending associated with Y2K. It makes perfect sense that Tech spending would decrease sharply after 2000. Y2K cost a lot of money and a lot of business shot their wad on that.

Back to topic though. Collusion with foreign powers is something entirely different from domestic economics. Considering that the Liberals want to hand our Government over to the UN anyway, it's not too far a stretch to believe they could be doing something like this.

Ra

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The democrats have no power in either house nor senate and they can't start any kind of investigations or commitee's due to thier lack of numbers.

Face facts folks, the right is in control and THEY are the ones running this country into the ground!!!

They want to so burden the financial situation of this country so badly that even if they lose the WH, the next 4 years of a democrats presidency will be spent patching up the mess created during this bushonian cabal to destroy the US economy and make the USA the newest third world country.

Take this into consideration:

Due to our huge deficit created by the bushonomics of "give all the money to the rich and take money away from needed programs to HELP the American people",
we are now at the point of a third world debtor nation.

The normal measures used is to measure the GDP versus the overall indebtedness of a nation. The world bank lists a nation as a third world economy when debt is more than 200% of that countries GDP. Due to bushonomics the US currently has indebtedness of 304% of GDP... 104% over the total needed to declare us a thirdworld debtor nation!!!

Now I ask you, what kind of a true republican fiscal conservative would allow this to happen to the US economy?

To me Clinton was a better fiscal conservative than any of these wankers you guys keep trying to defend.
And when Bill lied, nobody died, he just got a BJ!!!

IMPEACH BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Ra]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki

The economy of the US is just bad, and that's just the way it is. Besides. You can't really blame the dems when it's a republican controlled house, senate, and presidency.

now can you?

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Loki]

Yes I can blame the Republican House, Senate and President for an economy that has produced the highest individaul homeownship in history, an unemployment rate lower that the average of the entire 1990's when dems had control, record economic growth in general - especially in the small business sector that is the true backbone of the economic engine.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Makes you wonder if the last change of the party representing, didnt do the same.

Nah does'nt make me wonder - cause I Know thats not what happened - especially the part about foreign collusion influencing elections, thats a democratic party specialty looking back many years.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Debtor nation? Ok, then we should immediately stop all loans and aid to foreign nations, right? If we are that bad off, then we should withdraw from the UN and call in all of the loans we have made to anyone in the past. We should pull our troops and resources out of the Middle East, Europe and the rest of the world and do nothing while Islam takes over Europe.

Ra, I don't think the Democrats and Liberals are Evil as you seem to think the Republicans are. I just think they are woefully misguided and so caught up in the lust for power that they aren't thinking of the repercussions. They can't retake power on their own so they are looking for help whereever they can find it, even outside our Borders.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ra
The democrats have no power in either house nor senate and they can't start any kind of investigations or commitee's due to thier lack of numbers.

Ra, thats not exactly true when you consider the unconstitutional supermajority rule they misuse all the time to thwart legislation to their own purpose rather than do whats good for all of us.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Right Phoenix. The Democrats still have to power to obstruct.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Debtor nation? Ok, then we should immediately stop all loans and aid to foreign nations, right? If we are that bad off, then we should withdraw from the UN and call in all of the loans we have made to anyone in the past. We should pull our troops and resources out of the Middle East, Europe and the rest of the world and do nothing while Islam takes over Europe.

The left would have a cow if this were done, they want spending where it advances their agenda - unfortunatly that does'nt include the war on terror or economic well being of the hated middle class. Withdrawl from the U.N. and moving the headquarters to France or South Africa would be a good move though.

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
yeah, I know that my post wasn't realistic and I wasn't seriously suggesting it, just replying to absurdity with absurdity.

The UN needs to go for real though. If you hate my house, don't ask for shelter in it.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
We should pull our troops and resources out of the Middle East, Europe and the rest of the world and do nothing while Islam takes over Europe.

Leaving Europe to be taken over by Islam
, now that's one hell of a plan if I ever heard one
. The deserve each other.

The more I read about the EU and the direction its leadership is taking it, the more I regret us not leaving the whole stinking lot of em to the Soviets. But I think forced Islamic Law will do just as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
How can the demos attempt to ruin the economy when it ALREADY is ruined?.

BOTH sides are accountable.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I keep hearing people say that the economy is ruined and I guess someone is going to have to explain to me how, cause I don't see it.

If the US ecomony is ruined, please define "ruined" in this context and give an example of an ecomomy that isn't ruined.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I just did some research on it and it looks like the reason it was held up is because the Democrats tacked on a provision barring changes to overtime.

Speaking on a conference call to reporters Wednesday, Schumer said he believes 438,500 New Yorkers -- ranging from nurses to chefs to reporters -- would lose federal overtime protections if the U.S. Labor Department implements scheduled changes later this month.
Federal law currently guarantees one-and-a-half times regular pay for every hour a worker puts in after 40 in a workweek. The proposed tweaking in the regulations would classify many positions as professionals, and therefore exempt from overtime.

www.miami.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I just did some research on it and it looks like the reason it was held up is because the Democrats tacked on a provision barring changes to overtime.

Speaking on a conference call to reporters Wednesday, Schumer said he believes 438,500 New Yorkers -- ranging from nurses to chefs to reporters -- would lose federal overtime protections if the U.S. Labor Department implements scheduled changes later this month.
Federal law currently guarantees one-and-a-half times regular pay for every hour a worker puts in after 40 in a workweek. The proposed tweaking in the regulations would classify many positions as professionals, and therefore exempt from overtime.

www.miami.com...

If this issue is important why don't they introduce it as a stand-alone bill or better yet vote up or down on the original bill which they blocked. Instead they use it as a smokescreen to ensure no new jobs are created and some existing jobs are destroyed in a cynical power play to gain the whitehouse, is it your job they're playing games with?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You know I get a kick out of reading these posts. Because of no fault of your own you are loyal to America. I don't blame you far that. But what I do get sick of reading is the "Why is everybody against America" banter that seems to be prevelent on this page. Do you people learn any history when you go to school? Do you follow the news?

I read a post by one person stating that the EU is attempting to influence U.S. economic policy with these tarrifs on steel imports from the US. Gee when doesn't the U.S. try to influence a foreign power to get what they want. They EU only adopted US trade policy on steel imports when Bush announced duties on foreign steel so that he could get more support in those states by giving the steel industry time to upgrade and recover.

I live in Canada where a bull# 27% duty is placed on softwood lumber. This has already been ruled on several times by the WTO in Canada's favour and yet the US drags it out in court in order to collect billions from us and they use that money collected to help the forest industry that we supposedly destroyed by subsidies from our government.

The whole point of this is that the US government does whatever it takes to get what it wants. Whether it's bribery, intimidation or just plain ol' "do it or else", the US is not an honest country. Never do they negotiate in good faith as they are suppose to. But when another country applies the same playbook, you're an axis of evil country.

If the U.S. doesn't like the rules then maybe they shouldn't play the game

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join