It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year old school's the UN... Very Impressive!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
If nothing has gotten your attention before then this speach, which a 12 year old presented to the UN, will definately get your attention... I couldn't say it better myself, take a look and you'll see what I mean...

Time to wake up people, especially when the adults get school'd by a 12 year old... Way to go girl!

The girl that made the world stand still for 5 mins...

Google Video Link

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

here's the link, yours didn't work.

Very impressive indeed.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
She did this speach in 1992

16 years ago!

Has anything changed? not really.

Sad really.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
You know, I understand that this speech was delivered to the UN 16 years ago, but holy cow! it is a sad commentary on the state of your society when your CHILDREN have to take the podium at the GRANDEST political gathering on the PLANET to EMPLORE you to grow the hell up and act as you teach THEM to act!!!!

That is a SCOLDING! Good on her!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

This is certainly sad. I couldn't agree more. However, it still speaks volumes towards where this society is heading! Whenever the YOUTH of a Nation, and I mean this literally(12 years old! jeeze!), has to scold her elders, you can only imagine the future clash of generations!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I couldn't get your link to work but I googled and found what I think is the same video, of a 12 year old girl from Vancouver speaking to the UN. If that's the right one, do you realize this is from 1992?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
that speech was very touching. it's a shame that no one listened to her beyond that frame of time of less than 7 minutes.

i wonder what she is doing 16 years later. i wonder if she still reflects on that day and believes in that message or if its a distant and forgotten memory

editing this to say that i looked it up and answered my own question

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Barathrum]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The beauty of this statement being 16 years old is that we can look back over 16 years and see the lack of action taken and just how little impact this very heartfelt and well delivered speech fell on deaf ears. I would venture to believe that everything she said was forgotten even before the applause was complete.

5 minutes in, she states how if all the money spent on war were spent on the environment and poverty, what a difference it could make. Apply that to all of the military conflict and war in the last 16 years. WOW. Hundreds of trillions of dollars spent around the world on war in the past 2 decades could have pulled third world countries out of poverty, even with the take off the top that they warlords and dictators take.

It sad that she and her friends went through the effort to travel from Vancover to Rio to deliver a speech so well researched and presented, only to have it filed away and never acted upon.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by wheresthetruth]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Like I was saying in another thread just a minute ago (this one was in relation to the chinese government hiding microchips in its computer equipment that will allow them to hack every internet acessible computer in the world if the code is activated)... < We are going to see that dog eat dog mentality run rampant through the world's governments until there is a "spiritual evolution", if you will, that makes people finally realize that they don't need to fight with eachother... Because they are one...

I find it interesting that I align with these thoughts, as do many others here, and I am of the same age as this girl.

This is the spiritual evolution I speak of. Yes, right now it is not heard, but it will be soon. And we are starting to see it now with the Ron Paul movement, this website, infowars etc...

I am hopeful by this even in light of the fact that this has happened 16 years ago and nothing drastic has, of yet, transpired... But it will!!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I would like to know what this girl is doing now, is she heating her home with renewable energy, is she running bio diesel or other renewable fuel in her car, is she buying solar panels for her home..

I doubt she is doing any of this.. but would be very prowd is she were doing as i am doing .. All of the above...

Talk is cheap.. action speaks far more than words.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Here is a link to a website about her and some of her more current activities.

www.collagefoundation.org...

In the spring of 2002, Severn and some friends founded an internet-based discussion group and website called The Skyfish Project. The daughter of a well-known Canadian scientist/environmentalist/TV host, Severn travels around the world speaking to delegates, students, and corporations about taking steps to a more sustainable, responsible, and just future for the planet.

It seems she has continued her efforts to draw attention to the environment. Go to give her credit for her tenacity.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Tell the folks that stood next to Martin Luther King Jr. in Washington that "talk is cheap." Tell that to Ghandi.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

12 years ago? wow..., yes I agree with you all who say it is sad... Sad because it's as if they listened, acknowledged her words and then nothing happened... Maybe this video should be played on national TV today and maybe we should be asking our presidential candidates what they are going to do about this... hehe.. I think even Obama would be speechless...

[edit on 22-10-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

new topics

top topics

join