It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is for all the 'ufo believers' must read.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I agree that it is okay to have a belief in alien/ufo. It is one thing to believe but it is another to come on and tell the world that aliens are here and to declare this as fact when the evidence is not suffienct enough of to make that declaration. You seem like a reasonable believer, one that questions things and know there is no absolute proof to make such claims yet. With believers and skeptics who are willing to ask questions before claiming something as fact both for and against, without having all the evidence in yet, maybe then we can get somewhere. I do not believe they are here, but I am unwilling to say outright that such a thing CAN NOT be happening. I hoping I am wrong but so far there is nothing that changes my beliefs yet. The one thing I am willing to declare is that alien abductions do not happen, because there is not one piece of evidence out there for them. With ufo's possibly being alien, at least there is some compelling evidence such as pictures/videos and multiple witnesses..etc but still nothing that says alien. Where is the evidence for alien abductions... I mean there is nothing not even trace evidence.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ok, so i find myself writing on this board because i am getting increasingly frustrated by watching youtube videos who see a dot in the sky and scream UFO, but who are seemingly deaf to the far more plausible explanations being presented.

I am a fairly open minded person. I argue intensly about things i have strong opinions over, but on some level i will always be ready to concede that my opnions may have been misguided in the first place.

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned that Critics tend to be narrow minded, while belivers are openminded with multiple cases of evidence to back them up. I must say my own experience lends to the complete opposite of this. What do you consider evidence to be? a Theory? or a working model of something that can be recreated and tested (which is after all how our modern world has developed). Here is an example of a reply left on a youtube video involving a possible UFO collision from a believer which is relatively representative of the sort of thing you read on forums:

"some people are pig ignorant aswell as brainwashed by the media.

your thinkinking in 3d and with human consciosness - afterall its all you
know -

these craft dont travel linear (like the idiot paid off news repeater tries to -mplant on the mass') they travel via technologies and physics that we are not aware of such as 'alcubierre drives' and 'wormholes' and 'inter dimensions' - people luaghing at this makes me ashamed to be human - sheeple slaves enslaving humanity WAKE UP"

This is an example of where someone is taking theorys, untried and untested, and using them to back up his belief. Wormholes, interdimensions, as well as "physics that we are not aware of" are all theorys. They have not been tested because at this time they cannot be tested. If i were to ask a UFO believer any questions into how a faster than light drive works, they would say something along the lines of "it is inconcievable to our current understanding of science" If this is true, how then can you possibly use it in an arguement? It is tantamount to me saying my microwave is heating my cold chips because God is heating them for me. Religion works on a basis of seen effects are used to guess the cause, and it seems much basis for UFO evidence. Yet how many UFOlogists are also devoutly religous? I imagine there are people reading this now enraged that i should even suggest such a thing.

The reasons both believers and non believers conflict so much is that they see things from a fundamentally different point of view. One see's the qualititave theory as proof, the other requires quantitative data as proof. Sadly theory alone cannot provide evidence. Does gravity exist? well if you can create a test to measure and recreate an effect using it, then yes it does. Does an alien being not of this world exist? possbily, but until you can recreate an effect (mutilating a cow, abducting from a specific area, genetic information gathered, or whatever) reliably from it you will never have a skeptic's attention.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If we could confirm the existance of life beyond Earth my own scepticism would dissolve. I don't really need to see a Grey or some andoidical bug-eyed being, nor even a genuine UFO. A microbe would do. When we discover that first living cell or entity on another world, anything and everything about ET is possible. In fact it's guaranteed. Unfortunately, man's 50-years of searching hasn't found it.

WG3

<< 1  2  3   >>

join