It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know who we need to be president and in congress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have thought long and hard about this. We need the common man. We don't need people who are backed by corporate sponsors. We need a smattering of rich, poor, all races, all religions or lack thereof. We need people that know what it is like in all walks of life.

Why you may ask? The only people that will truly look out for our interest are those that have lived like we have. All of us. That is why you need all sides of every coin. You can't just have the rich, or just the poor. You can't have just black, white, latino, asian, native american. Everyone has to be represented. Do away with career politicians. Take the average everyday people and put them in office. Sadly, I don't think this will ever happen. By the time you are of electable age and expirience, you are already owned by someone.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

Totally agree! What is more, that is the way it is *supposed* to be; the way the founders had in mind... the whole "government by, for and of the people thing".

Sadly, it has been corrupted over time to the state it is now, where it is government by, for and of the wealthy (for the most part...). That's the idea behind term limits, to try to redress this situation.

As for those of electible age and experience being already owned, I'm not sure I'd agree with that wide of a statement. I, for instance, am of electible age and experience, and am not owned by anybody (other than the wage bosses...
), but I would not take the job at this point in history.

I've always wanted some kind of system where anybody that ran for elected office is not allowed to hold it, and only those who do NOT want the job, but recognize it must be done are eligible. I've not quite figured out how to manage that, though...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am another who is of age and i cannot be bought. I like living poor ...I have lived in comfortable conditions and it is not for me ...all I care about is keeping a roof over my head and staying fed the rest of the stuff in the world to me is junk .... I am a person who if won a large some of money would buy a small 2 br house with a pantry with enough grocerys for 6 months and continue working ...and give the rest to a charity that would use it to teach the people it helps to provide for themselves and not just handout supplies without helping the people to become self suffient

join