It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand how to talk on the phone :(.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Something that you might want to do is not just listen to what she says but try to listen to her tone of voice. Emotions I mean. A sigh can tell you a lot for example. Judging from what you mentioned before she already knows you right? OK, then she may know about your being a bit of a introvert. Nothing wrong in that. If nothing else go for the light chatter and who knows where the conversation will lead?

I sorta flip flop between being a introvert and a extrovert myself. If I'm very new to a person I can be a bit withdrawn at times but once I get to know a person then I'm a bit of an extrovert. On the phone I don't have all that many problems but it's in a face to face conversation with someone new then it's difficult. But that's a different thread topic entirely.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Wow, I'm gonna bounce this thread just 'cause it's so nice to see so many other people admit they hate the friggin' telephone.

As far as I'm concerned, the phone is for business, making plans, and giving news.

I have such a hard time, especially early in a relationship when it's so expected, spending time on the phone. I think it's because I'm pretty sensitive to body language and physical cues from people I'm talking to, so when I don't have those I feel lost

There was a lot of good advice in this thread, which is cool. The one thing that helps me that I didn't see mentioned is that I've finally learned that my awkwardness is not usually perceived by the other person until I make it obvious by doing something silly like making up an excuse to get off.

Also, most people apparently don't need an excuse to end phone conversations – they just do it. That realization helped a lot too, because I used to spend half a phone conversation wondering how I was going to get out of it

Good luck

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hate talking on the phone tooooo!
My boyfriend doesn't understand it at all, but really.... ahhh.
I think it's because my mind tends to drift on the phone and I don't hear that well on my cell phone so I miss a lot of what people say, and it gets frustrating. I also get angrier on the phone because I pick up on little voice cues and things without body language and misinterpret it.
It helps to be encouraged. Let people know that you have a problem, and use other modes of communication when you can. Wean onto the phone gradually.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join