It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forgotten Experiment May Explain Origins of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Forgotten Experiment May Explain Origins of Life
Originally considered a dud, an old volcano-in-a-bottle experiment designed to mimic conditions that may have brewed the components of life might have been right on target.

After reanalyzing the results of unpublished research conducted by Stanley Miller in 1953, chemists realized that his experiment had actually produced a wealth of amino acids — the protein foundation of life.

My apologies if this should have gone in the Origins section, but since this involves science and the results of a scientific experiment I thought it best here.

As far as I know, no one has tried to reproduce these results yet but the implications of this are amazing. This may finally be the answer that everyone who has ever wondered "Where did we come from" was asking.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of everyone else. What do you think of these findings? Obviously the results will have to be reproduced to eliminate any contamination, but if this can be reproduced I would be interested in how this will affect the world.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Really? No one has any thoughts on this?

Is it because this has been posted before and I just couldn't find it? Or does no one know what to say?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Ok, I'll say something lol.

Well, I suppose I have no comment on this particular theory until someone replicates it using today's technology. That said I would be very interested in the results.

I have seen recently that many scientist are starting to theorize that life may have started in deep sea thermal vents. Since discovering abundant life 2 miles deep in the ocean around thermal vents has spawned a whole new view of life on earth and in the universe.

So I guess we can only sit back and see what they find!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I just wish they'd get on with it and try to recreate the results!

It is a bit difficult to form an opinion on though I suppose since there hasn't been any additional attempts at this.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is good stuff. If you have some conditions that produce extensive amounts of amino acids in long chains and if give it long enough time theoretically you should get the super primitive single cells that will prove abiogenesis. Nobel Prize winning stuff.

I was reading that there was a type of brown rock (cant remember the name) that would protect long complicated amino chains from the elements, so therein is where you will find the cells.

new topics

top topics

join