It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin Powell Endorses Obama

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thiscountryboycansurvive
reply to post by bknapple32

No offense but making that comment about being disorganized next to the picture of a dude who almost caused nuclear armagedon because he didn't know what he was doing is hillarious!

Vote Independent!!! Get rid of the incumbents!!

ok. whatever you say. please dont go off topic.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
There was never any doubt IMO that Powell would endorse Obama. Powell, was always a very liberal republican. He is pro abortion and for affirmative action. And he even said so himself that the reason he went with Obama was because he has a nice face and speaks well. Oh, and I guess he doesn't like Sarah Palin because she doesn't have enough experience. But then Obama has less than she does so that really makes no sense to say that. So I guess it's because Obama has a nice looking appearance and speaks well. I think that his endorsement will hurt Obama more than help him. I could also mention the race factor here but I think everyone already has some opinion on that aspect.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I say we see if Powel ever voted for any other black leaders who were running for president or endorsed them. If he hasn't then we know he's voting for Obama not because he's black but because he believes that Obama is the best choice for president.

It will also show that those who think he is voting for obama only because he is black as the racists they most likely are.

Also since when has being born in Kenya made you an arab? wouldn't that make you a African?

Ignorance abounds.

PS are white people who are voting for McCain only voting for him since he is white. wouldn't that be racists? Yeah it would.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Colin Powell was spot on with his remarks about the Republican party abandoning its own policies. Ron Paul made this comment several times during the primaries and debates, and is one of the reasons he doesn't leave the Republican party because he would like to see it return to its roots. Smaller government, less spending, no empire building.

I think Powells endorsement will ring very loud with a lot of conservative republicans that have been on the fence. Remember that there were several other Republicans running for office, and McCain wasn't the top runner through much of the race. A lot of Republicans I know were very disappointed with the outcome.

A lot probably will not vote, or will vote for a 3rd party but I think this endorsement will make many of them feel a lot better about crossing party lines. And this will be a wake up call for many more that don't pay a lot of attention and see this. They are going to want to know why and will check into it.

lol@Rush Limbaugh; thats like saying Michal Moore is going to look something up...really no surprise there. And what was Limbaugh doing while Moore was helping to rebuild houses in New Orleans...drug charges or something? Just the fact that Limbaugh would turn it into a race thing speaks volumes to his character.

edit - spelling - endorsement/enforcement - ironic in similarity?

[edit on 10/19/2008 by toepick]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

He never endorsed Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.... so this should put this nonsense to rest.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Regarding the original post:

I'm Sorry, did you say Colin Powell Endorses Obama?

Is that the Same man who convinced all of America back in 2001-2002 on national TV that Saddam Hussein had WMD's on the move to Syria, and that we had to attack Iraq in order to stop him? That Collin Powell?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't endorse either one of those idiots either. Racial hatred mongers, the both of them! I love it that they've become a regular laughing stock on SNL.

BTW, if anyone hasn't seen it, they need to watch the SNL digital short Space Olympics, it is hilarious (side note but thought people might enjoy it
www.nbc.com... )

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Apparently, General Powell has had enough of self-serving administrations whose only solution to problems is invasion and warfare. Their abuse of an honorable man was a sad day for the USA.
Before all you worriers get your panties in knots about Obama's proposed programs, remember that what he proposes doesn't actually happen until Congress makes the laws. Don't count on a lock-step vote by all the Dems giving Obama what he wants because money will be very tight. Obama knows that Bush and his Wall Street cronies have impoverished the country while they got so rich that they can't keep track of how many houses they own.
General Powell also realizes that McCain's poor judgement showed with selecting Winky Palin and her limited knowledge base. McCain made his abysmal choice and it will cost him. We must rid ourselves of those who put personal profit before country and sacrifice brave men to "get even" with dictators.
I think that General Powell made the right choice and I hope that the GOP gets the message about their unsat policies and rapacious behavior.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Graystar

Yes..but then everyone has had plenty of time to absorb how he felt about that, so it really shouldn't come as any shock...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Graystar

Yeah, he is also the man that cleared his name long ago by apologizing profusely to the American people for said act. He chose to retire under George Bush, along with many, many others over these eight years.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by NOTurTypical

we all heard mccains quote. This isnt about sec. state endorsing. Its about high profile republicans supporting Obama.

This is new news?

I though Colin Powell has been upset with the Republicans for about 4 years now. And I think Colin is more Independent than a typical "die-hard" right winger.

What about high profile Liberals supporting McCain?

*coughLiebermancough*

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If you admire Albright that speaks volumes for your character.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Lieberman is a scum-bag if you ask me. He is trying to "throw in" his support because he is clinging to the status quo in Washington. Not that Obama is ACTUALLY going to bring in "change" (notice how they never mention change for the good or bad... The only constant in this reality is change) but Lieberman, in my opinion is opposing Obama because he wants to hold on to the current system that he is, most likely, benefiting greatly from in his pocket-book.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Most "conservatives" who are voting for Obama are doing so because he is black. How did communism VS democracy become black VS white? sorry I know because I'm white I'm supposed to be PC, but false accusations of racism are driving me over the edge.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This is the first time Powell has endorsed the Dem Candidate. He never endorsed Jesse Jackson did he? So that just puts an end to the racism that he is only supporting Barack because he's black. He never supported past blacks running for office on the Dem tickets. So you keep being racists and hating Obama and Powell because they're black.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
What about high profile Liberals supporting McCain?

*coughLiebermancough*

Well according to some of the logic on this thread we can come to the conclusion that Lieberman endorsed McCain for no other reason than he is white.
See how silly and ignorant that sounds?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Rush Limbaugh has made a statement regarding Powell's endorsement of Obama.

www.politico.com...

"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," Limbaugh wrote in an e-mail. "OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."

I did a search about Powell's past endorsements and couldn't find anything. Let's see what Rush comes up with.

How funny. What's been crafted here is a false dialectic that's built on a subjective premise. "Very liberal" in the eyes of Rush Limbaugh? Because Obama is hardly "very liberal" from a political science standpoint. He's slightly left of center. What's more, though, is that even accepting the shaky premise, we're basing this whole concept on these two criterion. I mean, really? Powell couldn't be supporting Obama for .. I don't know .. exactly the reasons that he said? Because he believes Obama has the capacity to be a galvanizing and transformative leader, and he thinks that Obama brings the kind of influence to the executive that our country needs right now? You're saying that Limbaugh's deductive process here is fair? It's totally unreasonable. And not to be dismissive, but you've got to be pretty politically polarized to take it seriously. We can just discard without addressing or responding to every single thing Powell said about his decision and move right on to this absurd reduction? Right. The amount of cognitive bias going on here is impressive.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
are white people who are voting for McCain only voting for him since he is white. wouldn't that be racists? Yeah it would.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by BASSPLYR]

well then by your outlook on it at least 50 percent of the black people who are voting for Obama are racists. Come on now

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan But because of this - Obamas own words

It's gonna be a hoot.
yeah, a real hoot.

I like the sound of ratcheting down the militarism in the world. It would be great to reduce the nukes we have aimed at each others populations to zero. I think it would be a hoot as well.

Colin Powell was quite elegant in his comments after the announcement. McCain really ran a nonsensical campaign

[edit on 10/19/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

Thanks for posting the video. I still have a difficult time believing him...I want to believe him...but...I keep feeling he had to know. It still bothers me to this day. It's called plausible deniability. Do you believe him?

You know it's funny regarding 9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan so many "mistakes" were made and nobody in positions of authority suffered any consequences for their "mistakes".

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join