It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jamaica puzzled by theft of beach sand!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Jamaica puzzled by theft of beach sand!

news.bbc.co.uk

Police in Jamaica are investigating the suspected theft of hundreds of tons of sand from a beach on the island's north coast.

It was discovered in July that 500 truck-loads had been removed outside a planned resort at Coral Spring beach.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
How can 500 truckloads of sand just disappear without anybody noticing? How many trucks / boats / heavy machines were needed to dig up, transport and then sell on this sand!

I’m really surprised how something this big could of happened unnoticed!

Not to worry though! Jamaican forensic teams are on the task and are currently carrying out analysis of different sands around Jamaica to find a match!

Lets hope they can find and return the sand back too its rightful home!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It doesn't sound too uncommon, what is uncommon though, is the amount taken.

Also I guess no one took any notice because it was taken from a construction site:

The beach at Coral Springs, in Jamaica's northern parish of Trelawny, was 400 metres (1,300ft) of white sand. The 0.5-hectare strand was to form part a resort complex costing US$108m, but the theft of its most important feature has led to its developers putting their plans on hold.

Illegal sand mining is a problem in Jamaica; the tradition of people building their own homes here means there is a huge demand for the construction material. However, the large volume and the type of sand taken made suspicion point towards the hotel industry.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The Police in Jamaica are corrupt.
They probably stole it, and sold it to another construction company.
I mean seriously how long would it take to move 500 truck loads of sand?
People would notice.It was probably never even delivered.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
LMAO, they used the sand from the beach for the hotel!?! LOL!! Hilarious, they just saved a S*!t load of cash on sand, the beach is now 500 yards further away from the hotel, than it was before it started, lol.

EMM

Edit to add:

"I mean seriously how long would it take to move 500 truck loads of sand?
People would notice.It was probably never even delivered."

I doubt they moved it, just used it in the construction of the hotel, would've saved them thousands of dollars on sand. Think how much cement they needed for a hotel?!? 3/2 Sand/cement, so I think thats where t went, could be wrong.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It was probably shipped to Dubai, with all the construction there they are probably running a bit low...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A night club builder close to here tried the same trick,pinching beach sand for construction.

'Unfortunately' the salt in the sea-sand corroded a lot of the supporting structures

My tip to find the culprit is to look out for who is suddenly consuming a whole heap of water to rinse it before use.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well it does make you wonder, but I think the hotel would have been the first obvious place to look if they were trying to match sand types! So who knows, it may well have been transported out of the country!

Look out for a suspicious amount of sand bags labelled *Jamaicas finest* at your local landscaping depot!

[edit on 19-10-2008 by fill0000]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
does anybody remember the Deyanat and its ''sandy'' cargo?

Deyanat ATS thread

perhaps the sand is going towards something similar

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
There Is a need for sand at Galveston, after Hurricane Ike. They also need to replace the missing part of Bolivar Island.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
My cousin and I were building a ramp over some stairs for my elderly grandmother and ran out of sand. We remembered there was some roadworks nearby so went to ask the roadies if we could grab some of their sand. They had gone home for the day so we just went ahead and took some sand and left a note saying we would make it up to them. The next morning we went out and bought a case of beer then took it to the roadies who were overjoyed!!

Of course this was is rural NSW, Australia, I would not expect to be able to do the same in the city.

I have no idea why I said all of this, the article reminded me of the 'good ol days' for a minute there

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
My cousin and I were building a ramp over some stairs for my elderly grandmother and ran out of sand. We remembered there was some roadworks nearby so went to ask the roadies if we could grab some of their sand. They had gone home for the day so we just went ahead and took some sand and left a note saying we would make it up to them. The next morning we went out and bought a case of beer then took it to the roadies who were overjoyed!!

Of course this was is rural NSW, Australia, I would not expect to be able to do the same in the city.

I have no idea why I said all of this, the article reminded me of the 'good ol days' for a minute there

Haha, what a wonderful story. In the city it would be the over way round though, offer them the beer first, wait for your moment, then get scooping

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
just ran across this story in an old article from another site and thought i wold see if ATS ever figured out what happened. seems pretty crazy though for a half mile of beach to end up missing.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
TPTB in jamaica needed some fine sand for the cement blocks they making for the Underground bunker they making in the jungle.
Seems everyone is on the bunker building these days.

top topics

join