It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lamp oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I have recently begun stockpiling food and other products on my two lofts and I just got to the following topic: light. Since an electricity generator is pretty expensive, I am thinking of stockpiling lamp oil first and keep the generator as a last moment item.

Perhaps a stupid question, but could lamp oil expire? Any suggestions for alternatives?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Lamp oil is nearly the same as parafin and kerosine, both are waxy light oils, In the UK they are normally sold in sealed 4.5 litre ( 1 gallon ) containers, if stored in cool unlit dry places they can last for decades, but if worried one can always add a fuel stabiliser/ anti mould / anti bacterial treatment to the containers. the knack is to keep the stuff in weatherproof sealed comntainers and not exposed to the atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Lamp oil is a great idea. Just remember to have a way to put out a fire if the lamp falls over or something. Go buy some tiki torches! They probably are on sale as winter is approching.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Haha, this brings back memories. What ever you do, remember to keep the oil in a place where its not going to get extremely cold or even freeze, it could happen in a garage or shed, the reason for this is because if its brung back to room tempature too fast it can expload!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well when your talking about tempretures. Remember that the colder it is the harder fuel is to light. It is the gass that burns not the fluid.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by fill0000
Haha, this brings back memories. What ever you do, remember to keep the oil in a place where its not going to get extremely cold or even freeze, it could happen in a garage or shed, the reason for this is because if its brung back to room tempature too fast it can expload!

Same with bottled gas like propane and butane, I lost my eyebrows once years ago for being a prat.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've got a ton of candles that seem to have self multiplied over the years. My concern has been breathing the by products of any of these oil/wax light sources. I think that life would return for the most part to the rhythm of the sun. In the longer winter months the family would probably gather around the wood stove (with ceramic front for light) and use wax/oil supplementally.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think I would prefer a few camper flourescent lamp with lots of backup batts. I would keep on had a few oil burners for backup.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hand crank lighting
Human powered dynamos.
Provide electricity, while getting your exercise.

Lamp oil, is great too but messy. I guess no more than a roaring fireplace though.

[edit on 19/10/2008 by reticledc]

new topics

top topics

join