It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Planes Targeted in Laser Attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Australian Planes Targeted in Laser Attacks

www.foxnews.com

Australian terror experts are investigating a series of recent laser-pointer attacks on airplanes after several reportedly linked incidents to determine whether they were carried out by an organized group, reports showed.

The laser pointers, which easily can be found and bought online, vary in color, price and range, with some able to project their beams at objects miles away.

Government officials also are considering a ban on the lasers after pilots of six planes made emergency complaints...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
In Finland we just get over the line, and government is about to ban ALL handguns from citizens. You heard right! Finland is first to take that EU Policy step, and no handguns aloud after two months.

Now we have ban for laser pointers too... This snippet from Whatreallyhappened:

" BULL BISCUITS!

The reality is that a hand held laser pointer cannot be aimed accurately enough to dwell on the cockpit windows of an airplane in flight for any length of time. And air turbulence would spread the beam out making it weak and difficult to detect.

If someone is flashing airplane cockpits it is with ah high-power laser and a sophisticated aiming/tracking system.

I figure the government wants to ban and confiscate laser pointers from citizens because they can pop those damned TV cameras they have watching us. "

I agree. Governments are about to break our possibility to stood against them... NWO is taking fast steps in these times!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
there was another thread about something like this a while ago

i still don't get how you can shine a laser beam into a plane's cockpit when the plane is above you...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I dont feel the New World Order taking place at all.

I do see a new Financial Control that will enslave future generations though. A New World Order just isnt possible. Our world being so Bi Polar it isnt going to happen.

Well...

It is intresting though.

What are they going to do Ban lasers?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
I figure the government wants to ban and confiscate laser pointers from citizens because they can pop those damned TV cameras they have watching us. "

Wow thanks for this comment - it sounds spot on to me. I have had my CCD camera inadvertently damaged by a club laser before - the thing burns thru the CCD like a hot knife thru butter in fact.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
First of all, who ever is shining lasers at airplanes are stupid, and obviously complete idiots. See here (in retrospect I was immature then, and my opinion has slightly changed...). These cases keep going up, while laser availability clearly hasn't. Why the influx? I bet you, the news companies get better ratings when they blow it out of proportion. I bet you other idiots get the idea from the news, too. Certainly, they get media attention for it! Is it for 'LULZ'!?

But banning lasers, or even handguns, because of a couple of idiots, is BEYOND stupid!!! Don't ban lasers.... Or else I'd just make one from a DVD player - one that burns people.

Another stupid law. Another waste of my tax dollars. Another limit imposed on the individual likely by a special interest group or the government.
Definitely an agenda here IMO.

[edit on 19/10/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
in australia they passed a law not too long ago that lasers over a certain wattage are now banned from being sold or imported after a certain date.

it only affects the very high powered ones.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I figure the government wants to ban and confiscate laser pointers from citizens because they can pop those damned TV cameras they have watching us.

I think that assesment is spot on.

Originally posted by C0bzz(in retrospect I was immature then, and my opinion has slightly changed...).

You lost your immaturity within 2 months?

Just messin with ya cobzz

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Does anybody even bother to investigate before jumping to conclusions here? Obviously not.
These laser attacks have been going on for over a year in the US, and they are happening when the planes are LANDING. None of them have happened when the plane is in flight at altitude. They usually are shined from a tall building somewhere along the flight path into the airport, when the plane is descending on a fixed line into the airport.

There have been about 35 such incidents since the late 1990s, but it is happening more often lately, especially around Wellington International Airport.

The airport at the greatest risk from “laser attacks” is Wellington International Airport, located 7 kilometres south-east of central Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Being a major domestic hub, Wellington International Airport has links to the major cities of Australia.

According to New Zealand’s Civil Aviation Authority, Wellington International Airport is “the most popular” for attacks on planes thanks to flight paths and the airport’s nearness to houses.

In a rare case of prosecution of its kind, a resident of Wellington, a man aged 24, has been charged with pointing a green laser into the cockpit of a commercial jetliner with 49 passengers on March 4, 2008, as the plane coming from Christchurch was about to land at Wellington International Airport.

www.dancewithshadows.com...

The federal government has banned the importation of high-intensity laser pointers, which have been used in attacks on passenger airliners landing at airports.

The new regulation will make it a criminal offence to import a laser pointer stronger than one milliwatt, Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus said.

www.theage.com.au...

Pilots say incidents of laser attacks are becoming rarer since new laws came into effect, despite a dangerous attack in Adelaide yesterday.

A Qantas passenger flight approaching Adelaide last night was the latest target of people shining lasers at aircraft.

Police said a green laser light hit the flight from Sydney around 10pm (CST) as the plane was about 20 minutes from Adelaide airport

news.ninemsn.com.au...

There has NEVER been an attack on a plane that was flying overhead at cruising altitude. One of the green laser pointers has a range of about 5km, so they can easily reach a plane descending into the airport. All you would need is a pair of binoculars to help aim, sometimes not even that. These airport approaches have to fly right next to tall buildings in MANY cities, so it's an easy shot to hit them.

One of the attacks here in the US left the copilot of a plane totally blind for a couple of hours. If something had happened to the pilot, that plane would have crashed, and 100+ people would have been killed. Would you like that to happen to a 747 with 400+ on board?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You lost your immaturity within 2 months?

Just messin with ya cobzz

Admittedly, I can be somewhat fickle with some issues, my opinion on them changes often and very quickly.
Back then, I was pretty fustrated people would shine lasers at planes, particularly after talking to the pilots on other forums... My opinion now is that although the people who do it are complete IDIOTS, the average 10mW green laser shouldn't be banned.

On a side note, military jets in the future have 360 degree coverage of extremely high resolution cameras, infact, also designed for laser detection. It was be hilarious if the pilot lased them back... or something.

Does anybody even bother to investigate before jumping to conclusions here? Obviously not.

Obviously yes.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

And how many people in this thread other than you bothered to even look? None.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A laser is nothing compared to something like this: www.wickedlasers.com...

You could do some serious damage with something like that.

***EDIT to add that I don't condone what these people are doing, pretty immature and reckless in my opinion.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I love how people assume a plane approaches nose up for miles.

I've seen plenty of aircraft in a quite steep descent till the final landing stage as they have to avoid surrounding buildings/stick to glide slope.

Smaller aircraft approach nose down till VERY close to touchdown.

Can anyone else see the cockpit?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I love how people assume a plane approaches nose up for miles.

People who assume that will make any difference don't know what they're talking about. On final, a large airliner is usually 2-4 degrees nose up. Over the dashboard, visibility is usually 25 degrees down. Out of the side windows, you can see maybe 70 degrees down... On smaller aircraft without slats, this is expanded to perhaps 35 degrees plus.... if the aircraft is a few hundred feet high..... well you get the point.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't see why they didn't file an investigation sooner, with all the terrorist threats and all! It is extremely dangerous using a laser, there was an inccident near to me where a driver was disracted by a laser pointer in another car and crashed off a ledge seriously injuring him!

Imagine this on a plane especially coming in to land! There is an enormous amount of people at a terminal station including the people on board.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ideal solution. Fit planes with laser sensing,anti-laser lasers.

When they pick up a laser pointer it answers back with a 1GW 'pointer' of its own.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Unubuh

They've been going on for years, but the problem is that the person doing it is almost never caught. By the time the police can get there they're long gone. And if it comes from a building what floor did it come from? What apartment? It's almost impossible to catch the person doing it, unless they're extremely dumb.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I had no idea laser pointers can do anything to cameras. Can anyone elaborate on that?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
ok, just for fun, everyone try this: put a digital camcorder on a post and angle it level. have someone shine a laser pointer at it from the left side, the continue to move to the left oblique, then to center, then to right oblique, then to the right. next change the elevation of the camcorder and repeat. when you play it back, take note of the wash on the screen and when it occurs.

now imagine this on a larger scale - instead of your $20 laser pointer, imagine a laser that you could build or buy for a month's pay...

it is not to difficult to imagine how this could be disruptive to a pilot's vision.

back inthe cold war, i remember reports of pilots being temporarily blinded and having retinal scarring as a result of lasers concealed in various warsaw pact vessel. they would lase the cockpit of the mato planes... if i can find a reference to this, i will post it soon...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
here is a quick link -

www.allbusiness.com...

Blinded by the fight

Laser technology, which realized significant advances through its application to opthalmological surgery that can restore sight, has been field tested by the U.S. Army in laser rifles that blind their victims - often permanently. Large-scale manufacture and deployment of these arms could be imminent.

Laser guns should be covered by a new protocol under the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons for several reasons, argues Peter Herby, a legal adviser to the Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

First, they are indiscriminate. Laser weapons, which are likely to be relatively inexpensive and light-weight, can be mounted on assault rifles and used to scan the field in front of the attacker. At a distance of one kilometer, which is within the weapon's range, the invisible beam will spread to a width of at least 50 centimeters. Anyone within that range who glances at the beam, be it a soldier, a journalist a nurse or a civilian, will be blinded instantly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join