It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a long topic, click here to review it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHH!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

If it's not too much to ask, could the powers that be do something to get the "This is a long topic, click here to review it." link to force open in a new window?

See, 'cause if someone were to accidentally click on it, rather than right clicking on it and opening it in a new tab like they should have, they might accidentally lose the post they'd been writing, causing them to shout obscenities loud enough for the neighbours to wake up.

Just curious.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You can use the Save Reply as Draft button and you won't loose it.

I think I'm right but not totally sure.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Been there, done that. Didn't QUITE wake the neighbors up, but the computer did almost learn to fly.
I had three paragraphs written, links and pics, went to right click it to open in a new window, and next thing I knew I was looking at page 1 of the thread.
Luckily the browser I was using saved everything I had typed when I hurredly clicked back, praying furiously.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I tend to open up the reply link into a different tab (love the tabs on Firefox) if the thread is a long one. There is usually more than one person I want to respond to when it's a long thread anyway, so each post I want to respond to gets the quote link opened in a tab of their own. Then I just copy and paste it all together and leave the original tab with the thread in it open until I'm done just in case.

I do agree it would be nice if it opened in it's own window or tab though. I can't even count the number of times I've accidentally clicked it with my palm when I'm on my laptop and lost what I was writing when the page changed.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
OMG I hate that!!!!!

And I also hate losing posts if I accidentally hit the "back" button in the browser.

But what I hate most is when the database is being worked on so posts aren't being accepted, but the work started after you started writing a nice long thoughtful reply with links and quotes and responding to several people in the thread, in short it probably took a good 20 minutes to write, and you hit "post" and it tells you that the database is down and it can't accept new posts

And it's gone, forever

I should probably learn to use "save as a draft", or write my posts in a word processor.

But it would be so much easier if ATS would change instead

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Always always always:

Press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C before clicking anything when composing a post.

That way, if anything goes awry, it's on the clipboard, and you can get it back by pasting (Ctrl+V).

For longer posts, I don't trust the little editor window thingie, and Alt-Tab back and forth to a text editor. I'm just paranoid that way.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ahh... the evils of php are rearing their ugly heads still. I've lost posts that took me a long time to consider, format and type as well. The only sure fire, 100% guaranteed way to avoid that nightmare is to use a text editor to create your post in and copy/paste it into the forum.

My partner and best friend "SkepticOverlord" has re-jiggered and customized the software that is ATS] to such a fine point we could probably patent it... BUT it's still php based at the end of it all and there is only so much one can do with a data base that is nearing OS size in gigabytes.

The "Save Draft" function is certainly another way to help avoid this horrid experience, but again the only way to assure it never happens is to use a text editor that creates your words of wisdom on your hard drive.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
And for those like myself who can't figure out where to find the draft posts after creating a draft.............

I found the draft post feature at the bottom of the choices in the Member Center.

A couple of times I attempted a draft post and couldn't figure out where to find it once saved.

Is the member center where they are all stored until they are then posted?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
And for those like myself who can't figure out where to find the draft posts after creating a draft.............

I found the draft post feature at the bottom of the choices in the Member Center.

A couple of times I attempted a draft post and couldn't figure out where to find it once saved.

Is the member center where they are all stored until they are then posted?

Well there's that mystery solved for me.
Learn something new everyday!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Amen! I always type my reply in notepad till I get it ready to copy/paste into the post reply box......I'm sure I could mess up the 'save as draft' function.......I'm just talented that way!

new topics

top topics

join