It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father takes son to court for idleness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Father takes son to court for idleness

www.reuters.com

LAGOS (Reuters) - A father took his 20-year old son to an Islamic court in northern Nigeria for idleness, asking that he be sent to prison for refusing to engage in productive activities, state news agency NAN said Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It is insane that a father would think he is better off with his son in prison. But what is ever more insane is that the judge actually sentenced the 20 year old to 6 months in prison plus a beating by cane. All for being "idle."

I also find it interesting that the father's career is a "market trader." Could it be he is a little over the edge due to the world economic condition and is taking it out on his son? I think this is likely the case.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
When I was 17 I was working full time construction jobs 60+ hours a week. Whatthe hells this kids problem.. If I was his dad I'd beat his ass myself, and saved the court some trouble.... Lousy deadbeat

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by red_leader

I do not agree with beating anybody, nor in sending them to prison for idlesness. Who knows what this father considers idle. What if this kid was an aspiring painter, musician, poet, philosopher and was pursuing those lines of "work" and the father did not consider those noble pursuits for his son. Instead the father had a picture in his head of who his son should turn out like, and when he didn't, became bitter and vengeful.

new topics

top topics

join