It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Loses Bid to Block Beluga Whale Protection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Palin Loses Bid to Block Beluga Whale Protection

www.msnbc.msn.com

NOAA said that within a year it would identify habitat essential to protecting the belugas.

Palin had opposed the endangered listing — as well as one decreed for polar bears due to melting summer sea ice — in part by questioning the science and saying the listings would hinder oil and natural gas drilling.

The Interior Department has proposed making available oil leases in the Cook Inlet as early as next year and in 2011, saying the waters have an estimated $1.38 billion worth of energy resources. Protection of the whale could hinder some of those activities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.latimes.com
www.independent.co.uk

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think Palin was actually put as McCain's vice president due to her ties with big oil! Or maybe this is the big oil companies rewarding her!

I'm not sure which!

But, if there are only 375 beluga whales left in this area (in 1995 there were 653), or only 375 of any kind of animal in an area, I would think any person with half a brain would come to the conclusion that these whales/animals are endangered!

Not if there's oil around though!

An endangered species life and habitat isn't worth squat, it appears, if their habitat is loaded with over $1 billion worth of "energy resources".

At least in Palin's mind!

I just can't imagine letting another VP into the White House who seems to be in bed with the big oil companies.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Already discussed here I think: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

It is acceptable to have a topic discussed in BAN which exists elsewhere on ATS.

Carry on

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Here's a little info on Cook Inlet, where these whales live!

Palin: the Real Scandal
(This is a very interesting article)

Mrs Palin also took a swipe at Barack Obama's environmental stance saying: "What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet?"

Her support in Alaska relies on squeezing more money for the state from the oil companies themselves. In Alaska, every man woman and child is in line for a bonus cheque of about $2,000 (£1,100) from the state's massive oil wealth fund. This is, in effect, a vote-buying machine for the would-be Vice-President.

Governor Palin wants nothing to hinder the oil companies. She maintains that polar bears are well managed and their population has dramatically increased over 30 years as a result of conservation. And if the ice should go away, then they will adapt to living on the land.
******SKIP******
Hundreds of spills involving tens of thousands of gallons of crude oil and other petroleum products occur in the area each year. Decades-old spills are still a problem and 17,000 acres of wildlife and marine habitat have already been destroyed.
******SKIP******
The Palin administration has allowed Chevron to triple the amount of toxic waste it pours into the waters of Cook Inlet. This, even though the number of beluga whales in the bay has collapsed from 1,300 to 350 – the point of extinction – because of pollution and increased ship traffic.

Trish Rolfe, who runs the Sierra Club's Alaska office, thinks Governor Palin has been a disaster for Alaska's environment. "The idea that she stands up to the oil companies is a joke," she says.

Anything for money and power I guess!

[edit on 10/18/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Mrs Palin also took a swipe at Barack Obama's environmental stance saying: "What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet?"

Jebus what more would you ask of someone who managed to accomplish that?
Some of these half-baked swipes flying around are breath-taking in their stupidity.

new topics

top topics

join