It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has your Ps3 been feeling okay lately? Blu-ray lens problems........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hello, Iam creating this thread for one purpose. I want to know how many Ps3 users have had their Ps3 fail, or blu-ray lens go out?

I bought a Ps3 around launch, and just recently I have had my blu-ray lens go out. The reason I know it was the lens, is because it stopped reading games, and blu-ray discs, but still read my dvds, and cds.

Now I have been trying to figure out if this has become a widespread issue, or am I just one of the unlucky ones? I want to replace it, but I didn't want to invest that kind of money again, without doing a little research of my own. Can you tell me if you have had any problems with your Ps3s blu-ray lens, or has your Ps3 been bricked at all? Thanks!!

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

[edit on 18-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hey.. My brothers Ps3 just once, had a problem reading a blu-ray disc. It was "Full Metal Jacket"... lol, just wouldn't recognise it at all. We tried it again a week later, and it worked fine. You should probably get your Ps3 checked out if it wont read blu-ray... it's a pretty important feature afterall

Oh, I also recommend watching "Full Metal Jacket".. 'tis an awesome film!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure by your description which platform you have. It may be one of 3, each had a different size hard drive. Two of the three may be backwards compatible. One definitely is. What I mean is will play Ps1, Ps2 and Ps3 games. As far as I know there is only one lens in each system. If it still reads DVDs and CDs , the problem lies somewhere else. Did you install the upgrades as they were released? You will probably get more response as this thread goes on but I also had problems but it was not a lens issue. I played Oblivion all the way through and when the special edition came out with the Shivering Isles, I started from scratch with a new character but when I was doing the Sheogorath missions it would lock up after I went through entrances to caves and burrows. Not a lens issue, something to do with the memory not remembering what the place looked like even if I had just been there. Here's the good part, it had no problem playing Call of Duty or Castlevania Symphony of the Night right afterwards on a reload. I hope someone else on here can help, but if your system is too old to service you can find instructions on the net on how to clean the lens and the rest of it. Cleaning the fans alone makes a big difference.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I had a 60gb, and it would not read any games, or blu-ray discs whatsoever. I had just got done beating mercenaries, and just bought dead space to play, when I noticed it stopped working. I tried every game I had, and nothing at all. The disc circle would display, but it could not read a game. I know it was the lens, and from what I know it was $150 to fix. From what I have gathered, Ps3 does have 2 seperate lenses.

I don't know exactly what caused this. I have tried to break it down, to 3 possible conclusions.

1. it got waaaaay to hot, and just fried itself. My Ps3 felt like a space heater sometimes, I would sweat just sitting next to it.

2.I hit the main power button while in game play

3.I also heard of a new patch, or firmware that upon download, it ruins the lens

Now this is what I have gathered from other sites, so I could be completely off with my conclusions.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I already sold my PS3. I could not stand to think about paying more money to fix it. I believe sony only offers a 30-day warranty on their fixes, so I did not want to go that route. If I do anything, I will replace it.

Hell yeah, Full Metal Jacket is awesome!!!

I love Kubrick!

[edit on 20-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I had to send in my PS3 for repairs already, $150. Mine wouldn't read disk anymore. I think I went through 3 PS2 in my lifetime. From what I been able to gather it seems that more of the 60 GB are having this problem. I think it might have to deal with installation of bad firmware. Which is a Sony update.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I think it had something to do with some firmware from sony also. I have never downloaded, or used anything non-sony on my Ps3. And like I said, I played mercenaries, which needed to update my Ps3. Then it worked fine throughout the game. Then I bought Dead space after not playing on it for a week, put it in and it wouldn't load. Thats when my problems started.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
No problems with my 60gig, But it sure does get hot as hell it self. I hope it never messes up, cause if it does I'm going to target practice with it....

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

I have the same problem, only that my ps3 wont read my far cry 2 but it can read the rest of my games. Why is this so. Is it because of my blue ray lens or my game?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
yeah, mine hit the crapper on january 1st, i have it back now. its a 60 gig. i hope it lasts this time. the lens broke.

top topics

join