It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army gets info on teens thru video game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Army gets info on teens thru video game

www.cnn.com

Critics say the Army's "Virtual Experience" turns "kids into killers." CNN's Susan Roesgen reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Jesus Tapdancing Christ.
What has this country gotten to?
Are you kidding me? We are taking a video game on the road in order to show kids how cool it is to sit in a Humvee and hang out the side and kill people. Now, there is the official line, which goes something like...

"we want to spread awareness about how hard it is to be in a war and what a great job our troops are doing over seas".

And then there is the truth....."we want to get kids exited about killing and hopefully get them to join the Army because our numbers are low and if we don't have a steady flow of fresh young meat to send over to Iraq them we will not be able to pointlessly kill thousands of people". end quote.

America, I am ashamed.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
i play a LOT of XBOX 360 lately (needed a break from alternative research). I am currently really into GTA IV, and often dominate the rooms i play in. Even though, there are many who are so much better than me that it frustrates me to play with them (you can't move without being killed in 1 shot).

There are other games that are better, like Gears of War, Call of Duty IV, and Halo 3.

Do you not think it likely that users are tracked via such games?

If so, i know a 9 year old that is about the best i have ever played (Sonicboom on XBOX 360). The Army would drool over this kid.

I don't like war. But war has solved a few problems for us (Nazism, Facism, Communism....). And it keeps mortality high on Earth. It serves its grim purpose.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

First of all biggie,
The armed forces are not scouring online gaming rooms looking for the best of the best. You are safe for now.
All they want is the willing. They want a friggin' list of all of the potentials that would be willing to blow some people away. Before playing this "game" that they take on the road, you have to give them alot of personal info which they will oneday use when you come of age to make a phone call to your home and talk you into coming down and having a "talk" with a recruiter. This is praying on the youth who are mostly very weak minded due to their youth and will be easily manipulated.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Obviously anything you have to give personal information for, a contest, a raffle, whatever, is giving away these prizes because of the value of your information you freely give away in order to sign up. I do not see this as any different. Hmmm....the form asks for my date of birth, career choices, favorite military branch, theoretical job I would like in the military, SS#, just to play a simulator. Common sense it is going to be used.

I don't think this is a news worthy article. Maybe if they were mining data off somebody's harddrive while they were playing America's Army (the army's free to download/play first person shooter) and then using that information to contact people, THEN I would have a problem with it. You freely give your information away with/without knowing what it will be used for is your problem.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

Not newsworthy?
You might want to tell that to cnn because that's where I got it from.
It is a sad practise to so blatantly manipulate the weak minded.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This "videogame" as they are calling it is actually a training simulation used by the Army for combat training. I went through the thing when it came to my regional airshow, went through it twice. And trust me on this one, it is hardly violent in comparison to many of the popular videogames on the market currently.

And cbass, yes they are actually using a videogame for recruiting purposes. It is known as America's Army, it is a first-person shooter created and supported by the Army. It has proven to be extremely popular.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The military needs to recruit people also. And yes, they want to find people who think it's cool to kill, what else would you expect? Would you rather they introduce a draft?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Wrong on the personal information, all I gave was my name, phone number, and possibly address. Nothing about social security number.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

How is it manipulation of the weak minded? You sign the forms, you enter the simulator, you play the simulator. There is no manipulation there. Those who express interest are given the opportunity. They aren't brainwashing anyone to sign their info away. I fail to see any significance to this issue. It is freely given up information. Like I said earlier, it becomes newsworthy when it is gained by fraudulent means.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I don't like war. But war has solved a few problems for us (Nazism, Facism, Communism....). And it keeps mortality high on Earth. It serves its grim purpose.

i really can't agree with you there... violence, let alone violence and death on a massive scale, solves nothing. i actually would agree with you if i didn't know that all opposing sides in war are usually in bed with each other. since when has nazism, fascism, and communism been "solved"?? i would think that they're alive today more than ever!

and why is keeping mortality high a good thing? i understand that they're saying overpopulation's becoming a problem, but there's more than plenty of everything to go around if it weren't for a greedy few...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

someone help me on who coined the quote that goes something along the lines of:

"the greatest slave is the slave who thinks he is free..."

i hope you understand how this message applies here

...the worst and most effective kind of manipulation is that of which is presented and performed to make the recipient feel that he's making an independent decision, all the while subliminally influencing him into the desired state or objective

[edit on 18-10-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

I see what you are saying, but I still fail to see the manipulation or overall significance of using this data. I mean, everyone who hits 18 has to register for the draft (or whatever it is you are registering for), so the army has access to your information. The army probably has more access to data than we will ever know as it is apart of the same government that the CIA is. Wouldn't surprise me one bit that the CIA offers military profiling to the Army in exchange for testing on soldiers for new MKULTRA truth serums and mind control techniques.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

yea, i totally agree that they have much better ways of collecting our data! i see where cbass is coming from though, and he's got a good point. the youth are the weak-minded. don't you remember? there was a time when we'd believe anything we heard. some just unconsciously became aware of their ignorance earlier than others, and woke up a little quicker - and not "woken up" in the sense of realizing the truths found within the conspiracy world. children and teens are easily influenced. i never agreed to the "expert's" opinion of video games stemming violence, but i do think they can heavily desensitize the youth to it, right along with television and Hollywood.

don't get me started about Hollywood.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ll my brother in law has got 100 head shots in a row on AA
hacking...wonder why they have no support to stop there hackers in that game......

if you hack really good your saying the army will call and try to get me to join them?lol

the game is 90% hackers no joke
aimbot's
Hp hacks to freeze there hp..
unlimited ammo hacks you name it lol

[edit on 18-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Martin Luther once said "nothing good ever comes of violence".

War should literally be left to computer games, IMO.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
And cbass, yes they are actually using a videogame for recruiting purposes. It is known as America's Army, it is a first-person shooter created and supported by the Army. It has proven to be extremely popular.

That would qualify as an epic fail. Do you know how many times I've been killed by suicide bombers screaming ALLAH? More than a few. As a matter of fact, I see more people on there to make a mockery of it than to play seriously.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
See, the problem with this recruiting tool, I mean, video game...is that I doubt the instructors have gone through the same particular "training" regimen. So, when meathead #2384653 starts saying things like "sweet, this is just like the video game!" when they're getting shot at, chances are their superiors are not going to agree.

Sure, they've been spifing it up over the years and it'll certainly be a valuable tool for the now-elidgable didn't-graduate-highschool crowd that has been chomping at the bit for reliable a meal ticket they can actually score.

Looks like Amertica's Army running on a multi-monitor rig with lighzapper guns.
I've played the game and frankly, I could recommend many other titles that have a far more satisfactory killing experience than AA does(or doesn't, as the case may be).

Anyone that walks up to a huge us army tent and gives them their information so they can play the sim knows what these things are about.

*yawn*

[edit on 19-10-2008 by 4N6310]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I look at this from a different point.

A game can tell a lot about a person. I don't think a game is used to make people softer when it comes to killing. But it dose tell people about others moral on the battlefield.

A game can tell a lot about a gamers gaming IQ and skills. Aim is one thing but the gaming IQ is the clue. It is all about have you play the game.

A player with just good aim won't last long against one that has good aim and gaming IQ.

A game is all about solving problems to Winn or get a advantage. You need gaming IQ to turn a disadvantage into a advantage. Aim alone will not do it.

Some people take for ever to learn from their mistakes in a game,and some people don't ever learn the potential of their tools or weapons. because they dint ever learn. Instead of learning they cry for unlocks or more powerful weapons to compensate for lack off skills. And some people need to cheat to compete with the smarter and better skilled players, because they don't have the coordination skills that are needed to evolve into a better skilled player.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well the Army or any other Military branch is not going to get me.

I refuse to offer my body for a Battle I dont believe that is correct.

I would rather be...

Shot.
Raped.
Strangled.
Set on Fire.
Chemically Castrated.
And it goes on and on...

Than serve in a battle I dont believe in.

Im resisting til the End.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join